• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger Seat Back Recovering

RGummere

Greetings, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I was wondering what the procedure is for replacing the passenger seat back fabric on an M35A2. The seat folds down and the rear side has the diamond tread plate on it. I've seen other threads on padding replacement but what I need info on is actually reattaching the canvas into the frame itself. Thanks in advance!

Richard

M818
M35A2 (2)
M200A1 Trailer

mrsuperstition

I used a stapel gun to adhere the fabric over the new padding and onto the bottom of the seat, which is 3/4 MDX wood now. For the back I fabricated a new, wood *backplate* that fits nice n snug into the metal frame, then stapled the fabric to it.

There are some pictures of the bench seat redo I completed a few months ago in my album here on SS.

Last edited:

TulsaME

I purchased a set of seat covers from a member of this site that were made like the originals. The covers went on just like the old ones came off. The back has a steel loop that the cover ties around. Then the pad, cover and ring sort of snap into pockets at the edges of the diamond tread plate frame. The diamond tread plate acts as the back of the seat pad. I will try to post some pictures later tonight.

Here is a link to the covers I purchased... JATONKA M35 CANVAS SEATCOVERS

x-ray

I used a stapel gun to adhere the fabric over the new padding and onto the bottom of the seat, which is 3/4 MDX wood now. For the back I fabricated a new, wood *backplate* that fits nice n snug into the metal frame, then stapled the fabric to it..

That is exactly what I did and it came out great.

I would offer that I added "firm" foam to the back and bottom - really makes for a much more comfortable ride. I got 2" furniture foam from ebay, and also got some mil grade cordura nylon fabric in forest green on ebay too - but it also comes in other military colors. & camo I think the nylon is a little more durable than the canvas, although may not be traditional, it certainly looks military.

On my box-seat Deuce, the foam cushioning makes a world of difference.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is exactly what I did and it came out great.

I would offer that I added "firm" foam to the back and bottom - really makes for a much more comfortable ride. I got 2" furniture foam from ebay, and also got some mil grade cordura nylon fabric in forest green on ebay too - but it also comes in other military colors. & camo I think the nylon is a little more durable than the canvas, although may not be traditional, it certainly looks military.

On my box-seat Deuce, the foam cushioning makes a world of difference.
nopics

There is the older military canvas covering and then there is some more modern stuff, that feels a lot smoother. I like the modern stuff a lot more but I don't think any of the standard canvas suppliers offer it. Can you post up what you have? Sounds promising.

C

x-ray

Can you post up what you have? Sounds promising.

C
This is what I put in it and where I got it from - FOLIAGE GREEN 1000D OUTDOOR FABRIC 60" CORDURA NYLON | eBay

Your right, the nylon stuff is actually very smooth feeling - (almost sensual ;))

When I get out of work tonight - I'll try to head to the cabin & take some pics.

added dense foam - 2 x 24 x 82 Foam Rubber Sheet Cushion Replacement Firm | eBay

Mark the shape needed with a sharpie marker on the foam An electric carving knife is the best tool to cut the foam with - Allows you to sculpt out and shape easy.

Place fabric over to get the shape needed, or if your patient and well thought out, you could use a paper pattern.

Takes a while to get the wrinkles out and you might want to order extra fabric in case you mess up.

I plan to do this on a well used M109 when I get it home. I am thinking new army camo pattern or coyote brown next time as I'm looking to compliment desert tan

CommoChief

Any ideas for getting the tubular frame, with the new canvas cover attached, back into the seat back frame? My son and I have been trying to use screwdrivers and 4 hands to get the back reinstalled but no luck. Can get 3 corners in but the 4th does not want to go. Thought....??????