• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger Side Alternator

broknindarkagain

Hi

I have converted my M1009 to 12 volt with the Roscomm method (#2 on http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf ). My two batteries are wired parallel (+to+ and -to-) and everything runs off the passenger side alternator. The drivers side alternator is still bolted into the truck, but it is not hooked up. All the wiring going to it has been disconnected.

My passenger side alternator is the only one currently hooked up but it has gone bad. I can't seem to find a part number for a replacement. I don't know what my dysfunction is, but I've been searching for over an hour and can't find it. Can someone help me with a part number?

Is it possible to move the drivers side alternator over to the passenger side? What wiring changes would I need to do if this would work?

Thank you for any help
--John

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can move the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side with no problem.

Do not get rid of the bad alternator. Spend $50 for a parts kit and rebuild it.

Last edited:

broknindarkagain

I was just curious, how long did it take you to convert and at what cost?
I did it in an afternoon. I worked on it awhile then stopped. Then got back to it. All I bought was new battery terminals. For wiring, I used the power wires for the slave jump port in the grille. That provided enough wire to make the new battery cables.

EDIT - Oh yeah the starter too. My 24v went bad and I couldn't find a replacement immediately but I could get a 12v right away. That is why I converted.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just curious, how long did it take you to convert and at what cost?

Cost is a new 12v diesel starter and a few dollars in electrical connectors. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours going real slow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks