• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passengers in bed of truck CA regs

Warren Lovell

FOR KALIFORNIA:

California Vehicle Code Section

23116(a):

No person driving a pickup truck or a flatbed motortruck on a highway shall transport any person in or on the back of the truck.

23116(b):

No person shall ride in or on the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck being driven on a highway.

23116(c):

Subdivision (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck is secured with a restraint system. The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

23116(f):

Subdivision (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck or flatbed motortruck is being transported in a parade that is supervised by a law enforcement agency and the speed of the truck while in the parade does not exceed eight miles per hour.

Seat belt assembly means any strap, webbing, or similar device designed to secure a person in a motor vehicle in order to mitigate the results of any accident, including all necessary buckles and other fasteners, and all hardware designed for installing such seat belt assembly in a motor vehicle.

Type 1 seat belt assembly is a lap belt for pelvic restraint.

Type 2 seat belt assembly is a combination of pelvic and upper torso restraints.

Type 2a shoulder belt is an upper torso restraint for use only in conjunction with a lap belt as a Type 2 seat belt assembly.

Upper torso restraint means a portion of a seat belt assembly intended to restrain movement of the chest and shoulder regions.

Here is the entire section for your pleasure:

49 CFR 571.207 - Standard No. 207; Seating systems. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 49: Transportation - vLex

49 CFR 571.209 - Standard No. 209; Seat belt assemblies. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 49: Transportation - vLex

49 CFR 571.210 - Standard No. 210; Seat belt assembly anchorages. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 49: Transportation - vLex

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks,,, I have always wondered about that... I take a load of friends up on a hilltop for the 4th of july.... but they dont ride on the streets....only offroad.

Truckoholic

I remember the days as a kid riding in the back of pickup trucks all over the place in California! Some of the best memories I have! But, I appreciate the reason for the law. My dad is a trucking safety consultant and trucking expert witness, and he worked a case one time where a pickup truck that was hauling something like 9 mexican farm workers in the bed, hit a big rig head on. Bodies went everywhere! Some of them were found inside the trailer of the truck they hit. That happened here in California. Not sure if it was before or after the law went into effect. No one survived as I recall.

TIGERFANS2

I don't know about you guys but I don't think I go 8 mph in parades. I'm at the high end of 1st in low range or just into 2nd (in low range). I'd tell you how fast that is but I don't know how to use the search function 8)

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about getting some kind of cargo netting like they put over military pallets on cargo planes or getting some 1" webbing fabbed up. I'd mount it so it covers the opening you get when you fold the seats down, that would keep little kids from falling out. A piece on the end with multiple spring connectors would be a great improvement over the troop strap. I think I'd make it so the whole thing is easily removeable for hauling cargo or mud running.

Warren Lovell

I will be looking for seatbelts to use in the back trrop seating area. My kids and my best friend's kids want to ride in the back of my M35A3 to go to the beach this summer. I will let you know what I find that will work.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be looking for seatbelts to use in the back trrop seating area. My kids and my best friend's kids want to ride in the back of my M35A3 to go to the beach this summer. I will let you know what I find that will work.

Thanks for posting those CVC secs. Who is your insurance carrier on your Deuce? How do you have it insured? I have JC Taylor and they won't allow me to have passengers in the bed even in a legal parade setting. I had to sign an exclusionary notice to that effect. Time to move on...know what I mean...

If you would, PM me with that info. It would be greatly appreciated.

tamangel

came across this note re: rear passenger , securing of...

re: 23116 VC
"...This section does not apply if the person is secured with a restraint system which meets federal safety standards (no federal safety standard exists for anchorage of belts in cargo areas) or in an emergency response situation by a public agency. There is no exemption for passengers riding within an enclosed camper or camper shell...."

this statement was not from the CA DMV VC official site but a private site, however if correct ( no Fed standard for anchoring in cargo areas) may be a hurdle.. also, I read somewhere ( a while back ) that the sides of the bed have to extend farther up than just the bed rail..

the fed codes that deal with anchoring looks pretty crazy to conform with..think automatic restraint system, all kinds of lateral forces requirements, etc.. good luck..

"The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations."

49 CFR 571.207: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/571-207-standard-seating-systems-19948588

49 CFR 571.209: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/571-209-standard-seat-belt-assemblies-19948595

49 CFR 571.210: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/571-210-seat-belt-assembly-anchorages-19948597

recommend doing extensive research first before spending the money...

Mike

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lextreme, this is a great example why we should search, before posting a new thread.

Now you have the same topic/conversation going on in 2 threads. We also call this cross-posting(bad...)