• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passing DOT Safety Inspection

ichudov

The two 5 ton trucks that I plan on keeping for my commercial use, will need to pass a DOT inspection.

One is a M927 and another is a M931A23 semi tractor.

I would like to know what are the known pitfalls or areas to improve, in order to pass a DOT inspection.

The truck inspection shop I go to, mostly looks at lights. They once approved my semitrailer where, as we soon found, the brakes were totally ruined, but they meticulously check all lights.

So, do our 5 tonners need any additional lights to be street legal and DOT legal?

Anything else?

Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For commercial use it's most likely going to need a crash bar at the rear .

No more than 12 inchs in from the rear of the truck or 22 inches above the pavement and no no more than 4 inches in from the sides.

Last edited:

Triple C

I would think about finding a new shop, a guy could get hurt (or hurt someone else) that way, not to mention how a level one inspection might turn out if the DOT decides to visit with you. In my opinion a good dot mechanic can be your best asset.

Monkeyboyarmy

Depends on states but in Va., you need front marker light on with headlights,reverse lights,icc lights. I thought that I remember someone saying something about the eat the spring brake override worked too.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one can tell you on this site but 73M819 gave you the best advice. Also, get a good mechanic. I just put a truck through a DOT service last fall for another member here.

ichudov

No one can tell you on this site but 73M819 gave you the best advice. Also, get a good mechanic. I just put a truck through a DOT service last fall for another member here.
I agree. If anyone knows a good mechanic in the Chicago area who knows these trucks, I would be interested.

Jason O

Bringing this back up, as by now there is likely more of these trucks in commercial service.

Has anyone gone through a roadside inspection with an M939 truck yet?

DOT / motor carrier enforcement is becomming more common with local LEO around here, as an easy way to generate revenue, and justify additional staff in the name of "safety". This was traditionally state police territory, where at least you were dealing with a trained professional.

I'll be using my trucks commercially in the future, and want to get all potential issues straightened out before I have a run-in with the Road-Pirates.

Proper lighting, a rear ICC bar on the M923 cargo body, and mud flaps on the M931 tractor are a given.

What else have you had to do to the truck?

Monkeyboyarmy

Since I can't figure out how to edit my post......eat is supposed to be way....the way the spring brakes work. Usually the parking brake is on the dash. On the 900's it is on the floor. The handle dumps the air to the spring brakes. You can "override" the spring brakes on the dash. I know someone couldn't pass inspection because of that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks