• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passing power with the 4L80E or lack of

ehuppert

Have had my 1008 for 10 years.... When i got it the PO was in the midst of a gasser conversion. ended up pulling their botched attempted and installed a 350. Mild cam, intake, carb, hei, etc. Installed a tow convertor also. (little higher stall and gas!) Truck always starts and tows reasonably well. Used as a work truck, plow, firewood, that sort of stuff. second conversion i've done and it's pretty simple and cheap! Not too awful much to go wrong.

Kaiserjeeps

And to think I gave away 2 buick 455's. I was going to put one in my own wagoneer and changed my mind. I tried to sell them even on a buick forum, no go. I gave them to Fisherman, a member here and on the zone. He has gotten out of the mil truck business. One was a 1967 370 HP 410 Ft lb motor and the other a 1973 lower output. That is one of those coulda shoulda woulda's. A big block would be fun. On the way to the gas pump. ha.

So my truck sounds a tad overweight. I check at the scales and it was 7100. I also picked up a new OEM fuel pump. So I have a fuel pump and new injectors to install yet. I got new mud flaps too. I bet that does it. :D I spent the day fixing the side door on a wheel chair van for a neighbor. So I did not get to work or play today. At least it stopped snowing. I will report out when those parts get put in. It does run and sound great though. It does pull hard in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Ilikemtb999

And to think I gave away 2 buick 455's. I was going to put one in my own wagoneer and changed my mind. I tried to sell them even on a buick forum, no go. I gave them to Fisherman, a member here and on the zone. He has gotten out of the mil truck business. One was a 1967 370 HP 410 Ft lb motor and the other a 1973 lower output. That is one of those coulda shoulda woulda's. A big block would be fun. On the way to the gas pump. ha.

So my truck sounds a tad overweight. I check at the scales and it was 7100. I also picked up a new OEM fuel pump. So I have a fuel pump and new injectors to install yet. I got new mud flaps too. I bet that does it. :D I spent the day fixing the side door on a wheel chair van for a neighbor. So I did not get to work or play today. At least it stopped snowing. I will report out when those parts get put in. It does run and sound great though. It does pull hard in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
Next time you've got some Buick stuff you'd like to get rid of let me know!

Kaiserjeeps

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I replaced the injectors today along with the fuel filter. The filter was not that old but I had a new one, so what the heck. I was hoping to notice a bit of a difference after getting done.
I could tell immediately that it was a good thing as soon as I started it. What did I notice?
A higher smoother idle.
Up to temperature faster
Way reduced rattle to the engine under all conditions.
A little throttle pedal made noticeable changes in speed and the seat of the pants feel, verses half a pedal stab to get anything noticeable to happen.
Way better power response at 60-65 when calling for power and a downshift.
I made 75 MPH in no time verses a zip code to get there.

I am super pleased. I did not expect this much improvement. I am going to adjust the trans controller to hit third at a higher RPM.
All this just in time for firewood. As usual everybody here is a great help. THANK YOU.

Kaiserjeeps

This is why I'm always reading this site posts!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?165144-Passing-power-with-the-4L80E-or-lack-of
post 26

" I have been coating the undersides with Fluid film. That stuff is amazing and the Mil testing on it passed by miles. The navy uses it. Fluid Film has a web page that is interesting."

http://www.fluid-film.com/products/
Thanks
It is great stuff. I put it on the plow truck blade, the insides of the snow blower, and it works great. I also just found out Idaho transportation dept is switching to a salt that is 97% soon. Fluid Film is going to be a much needed protectant of sheet metal. You can already see through both panels on some cars and trucks here. You buy it in the spray can or gallon can.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the injectors today along with the fuel filter. The filter was not that old but I had a new one, so what the heck. I was hoping to notice a bit of a difference after getting done.
I could tell immediately that it was a good thing as soon as I started it. What did I notice?
A higher smoother idle.
Up to temperature faster
Way reduced rattle to the engine under all conditions.
A little throttle pedal made noticeable changes in speed and the seat of the pants feel, verses half a pedal stab to get anything noticeable to happen.
Way better power response at 60-65 when calling for power and a downshift.
I made 75 MPH in no time verses a zip code to get there.

I am super pleased. I did not expect this much improvement. I am going to adjust the trans controller to hit third at a higher RPM.
All this just in time for firewood. As usual everybody here is a great help. THANK YOU.
It's not my intention to stir up a hornets nest here, but I'm curious if anyone has had even remotely similar results from using any of the many "magic elixirs" that supposedly cleans out injectors. And if so, which one.

rustystud

It's not my intention to stir up a hornets nest here, but I'm curious if anyone has had even remotely similar results from using any of the many "magic elixirs" that supposedly cleans out injectors. And if so, which one.
There was one the Transit Dept used but I cannot remember the name. It came from Cummins. The stuff was "extremely" toxic and you had to take several safety precautions ! Beyond that stuff I don't know of any that really cleans a dirty injector enough to warrant the price.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad to hear your truck is running better Al!

A while back (I think) fordmechanic postred about his huge improvement when he put new injectors in his deuce. At the time I was finishing up headgaskets on my deuce. I had already put a new turbo and injection pump on, so i figured I'd try injectors too. The truck really runs nice now.

After pop testing the ones i took out, I'm amazed it ran at all. Some pop pressure was as low as 900

Chief_919

I figured injectors or IP may be the blame.

The thing about worn injectors is that it is such slow gradual process that you never notice performance going away so gradually.

Chief_919

This one seems to work sometimes for injectors.

This stuff in great for injection pumps. Especially in cases where the governor is sticking causing the engine to die when the throttle is let off.

For both I deviate from the manufacturers instructions and instead I fill a new fuel filter with the cleaner, start the engine and run it just enough so that the cleaner is drawn up into the IP and injectors and then I shut it off and let it sit overnight. If a cleaner will fox it using those producs and that method will do it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Rustystud and Chief. My reason for asking is that I have a small diesel (MV, but not a CUCV) that sounds pretty terrible, and smokes quite a bit. Okay, a lot.
It sounds like badly adjusted valves, but based on what I've read it could very well be the injectors making the noise. With under 450 hours on the engine it doesn't seem likely that things are worn out, so with too many projects going on as it is, pouring something into the fuel system and see what happens seems much more appealing than tearing into the mechanicals.
After all, what's the worst that could happen? Out a few bucks and no difference.

rustystud

This one seems to work sometimes for injectors.

This stuff in great for injection pumps. Especially in cases where the governor is sticking causing the engine to die when the throttle is let off.

For both I deviate from the manufacturers instructions and instead I fill a new fuel filter with the cleaner, start the engine and run it just enough so that the cleaner is drawn up into the IP and injectors and then I shut it off and let it sit overnight. If a cleaner will fox it using those producs and that method will do it.

The "Diesel Purge" is a very similar product to the "Cummins" product I've used. We plumbed it straight into the injection pump like they do. Also the "Standadyne" stuff looks good too.

Kaiserjeeps

Just a little follow up. I adjusted the trans controller a little. I keep it in lock up longer and can accelerate much better than in 4th. I raised the 3-4 shift points too. About half throttle it will come out of lock up instead of coming out right away. It picks up speed nicely now. There won't be any issues passing now. Not that I do that much. Everybody already hauls here. So passing is not needed much. Plus I have a long hill on the way home. I was able to pull it today and actually gain some while before it was mash the pedal and loose speed. I am pretty happy with the results. The 4L80E conversion is just great. It really made the truck a driver. Again I appreciate everyone here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks