• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's deuce refresh and upgrade

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the plan will be this. First I'm going to weld up the mounts for the steering assist cylinder. Once that's on, I can still drive the truck even if it's not plumbed up. The next task will be mounting the steering servo. Again, another task that once done, can be driven without being plumbed up. Then I'll mount the hydromax/MC on the firewall and brace it into place. Again, without being connected. As well as mount the power steering reservoir. All of that in place and I can get a good measurement on hoses/fittings. Then I'll actually install the PS pump and plumb up the steering and brake booster. I can then drive the truck around with power steering at least with stock brakes. Then work on the new brake pedal/linkage. Once that's done it'd be a matter of running the new hard line from the MC down to the brakes. I'm thinking I'll use two pillow blocks with a keyed shaft strung across the firewall to allow me to slide the brake pedal over and link up to the MC. I'm planning on mounting the MC in the heater duct hole. At least I'm thinking all these steps will minimize the amount of time it's not moveable. And let me check things a system at a time basically.

I did measure the travel of the steering. There's 9" of travel. I purchased a 8" stroke cylinder. There isn't a 9". So I'm going to give up a little bit of steering with this. I'll have to adjust the steering stops too. Kinda sucks. But honestly I doubt I ever make it to full lock with the 395's already.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It has been nothing but rain the past few days, and today as well. I did get the hydromax booster and MC mounted up where I thought about mounting it.

20221210_163655.jpg

It also has plenty of clearance around the hood.
20221210_163717.jpg

And here's that aluminum plate that pretty much lined up perfect for two of the MC bolt holes. It seems very solid now in place.
20221210_163748.jpg

I think I have some pillow block laying around. I plan to hang two of them on the firewall to string a keyed shaft across the firewall. Then simply hang a arm on one end to actuate the MC, and the other being connected to a pedal.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the plan will be this. First I'm going to weld up the mounts for the steering assist cylinder. Once that's on, I can still drive the truck even if it's not plumbed up. The next task will be mounting the steering servo. Again, another task that once done, can be driven without being plumbed up. Then I'll mount the hydromax/MC on the firewall and brace it into place. Again, without being connected. As well as mount the power steering reservoir. All of that in place and I can get a good measurement on hoses/fittings. Then I'll actually install the PS pump and plumb up the steering and brake booster. I can then drive the truck around with power steering at least with stock brakes. Then work on the new brake pedal/linkage. Once that's done it'd be a matter of running the new hard line from the MC down to the brakes. I'm thinking I'll use two pillow blocks with a keyed shaft strung across the firewall to allow me to slide the brake pedal over and link up to the MC. I'm planning on mounting the MC in the heater duct hole. At least I'm thinking all these steps will minimize the amount of time it's not moveable. And let me check things a system at a time basically.

I did measure the travel of the steering. There's 9" of travel. I purchased a 8" stroke cylinder. There isn't a 9". So I'm going to give up a little bit of steering with this. I'll have to adjust the steering stops too. Kinda sucks. But honestly I doubt I ever make it to full lock with the 395's already.
I happened to see a youtube video today that had a decent solution for shortening the stroke on one of these cylinders. If you aren't too late to be able to return the 8" stroke cylinder something like this might be feasible for a longer stroke cylinder. I was looking and PSC does show a 3.0" x 9" stroke double ended cylinder for the rockwell 2.5 ton axles though.

Fast forward to 2:00 in the video. Yes I know what he says is "the world's largest off road wrecker" is demonstrably false, but I don't mind stealing ideas wherever I find them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's already past the point of returns. And I have welded it in place on the axle. Just haven't had time to work on anything much. Work, kid in college, kids getting in a wreck by a hit-and-run, Father-in-law in the hosptial, and now my step father had a stroke last Wed. I'm going to try to get the steering column chopped and the servo in place this week. And get the lines connected up at least for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks