• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PCB Advice and possible help needed

Bull9455

Good Morning ,
Recently came to own my first HMMWV by helping a friend in need. While I have always wanted to own one…. I have planned on doing much more research prior to purchase so I would at least be able to fumble around on it. My friends finance emergency did not allow that.
Fast forward a few months and I now have one in my driveway and after the first 4 hours of ownership driving it home. It won’t start….. I will do my research here and get the recommended manuals but would also love to gift some good bourbon or scotch and maybe share some cold beers for some one on one lessons if there are members in the PCB area. Thank you for allowing me to join, I excited to learn!!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good Morning ,
Recently came to own my first HMMWV by helping a friend in need. While I have always wanted to own one…. I have planned on doing much more research prior to purchase so I would at least be able to fumble around on it. My friends finance emergency did not allow that.
Fast forward a few months and I now have one in my driveway and after the first 4 hours of ownership driving it home. It won’t start….. I will do my research here and get the recommended manuals but would also love to gift some good bourbon or scotch and maybe share some cold beers for some one on one lessons if there are members in the PCB area. Thank you for allowing me to join, I excited to learn!!!
Welcome to the outfit!

You might get more answers with a city and state in your profile. Be sure to download the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your truck. That will help you understand what your truck is telling you.

I don't have a lot to offer without more information. Says that you drove it for four hours to get it home? OR was that owned for four hours and drove it down the block? Does it "show smoke" when you try to crank it? Was it sitting inside a warm garage and now it is out in the driveway? Does the WAIT light (top left on the dash) turn on when you key the switch just before starting?

There are more knowledgeable HMMWV folks here for sure, but more info would kick off this conversation.

And again, welcome to the group!

Bull9455

Welcome to the outfit!

You might get more answers with a city and state in your profile. Be sure to download the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your truck. That will help you understand what your truck is telling you.

I don't have a lot to offer without more information. Says that you drove it for four hours to get it home? OR was that owned for four hours and drove it down the block? Does it "show smoke" when you try to crank it? Was it sitting inside a warm garage and now it is out in the driveway? Does the WAIT light (top left on the dash) turn on when you key the switch just before starting?

There are more knowledgeable HMMWV folks here for sure, but more info would kick off this conversation.

And again, welcome to the group!
thanks for the quick reply and the heads up….
I drove it two hours home and it set in the driveway for two hours before trying to move in the garage. The wait light does not light up but lights are still operational. I have not checked battery voltage as we were leaving on vacation. Did not see any smoke and ran well the entire ride home.
I’ll update the bio but I’m in Panama City Beach, FL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
thanks for the quick reply and the heads up….
I drove it two hours home and it set in the driveway for two hours before trying to move in the garage. The wait light does not light up but lights are still operational. I have not checked battery voltage as we were leaving on vacation. Did not see any smoke and ran well the entire ride home.
I’ll update the bio but I’m in Panama City Beach, FL
Good Deal!

Down there in Florida you shouldn't be cold enough to need help from the glow plugs, but having them functional would be nice to have operational. Maybe?

When I mentioned "smoke" I was talking about the possibility of white smoke or black smoke or anything at all coming out of the tail pipe. Sometimes that will give you a hint at what is happening.

Another thought might be that pure luck got you to the driveway and maybe you are out of fuel? The gauges on these machines are not always right... AND if you ran out of "pushwater" you won't be the first!

When you have a chance, post up a little more about trying to crank the truck after sitting for two hours. Maybe it didn't "turn over" as fast as it did when you started it before driving home and stuff like that. I feel sure we should be able figure it out...

Bull9455

So after setting in the driveway for a couple hours vacuuming the insides out and finishing some packing for vacation, I hopped in it to move inside the garage before we left. turned the ignition to the first spot and the wait light did not come on…. I noticed that the ignition was turning or spinning a little but after waiting a few minutes tried to crank and got zero response….. nothing…. Dead. Tried a couple more time with the same response before getting the neighbor to help me push it in the garage and hit the road

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So after setting in the driveway for a couple hours vacuuming the insides out and finishing some packing for vacation, I hopped in it to move inside the garage before we left. turned the ignition to the first spot and the wait light did not come on…. I noticed that the ignition was turning or spinning a little but after waiting a few minutes tried to crank and got zero response….. nothing…. Dead. Tried a couple more time with the same response before getting the neighbor to help me push it in the garage and hit the road
Well, that is a bummer. It may just be that the batteries are shot. On the other hand, a nice slow charge, maybe checking the water level if it has that type of batteries. Might even be some corrosion on the terminals. A little testing and some investigation to be done it seems. Not awful though. I mean yeah, it isn't good when the new-to-you truck won't go "uddn uddn" but at least you know it worked.

Keep us posted when you get the chance to look at it again.

If you don't have a battery charger and a load tester, your local parts house or maybe a starter / alternator shop could test them for you. BE SURE that you whip out the cell phone and take pictures of the batteries from every angle - so when you put them back - they will be right. Makes life a lot easier! And a little anti oxidation compound will be a good (cheap) investment for you too.

Be sure to snap and upload pictures.
The saying around here is that "without pictures it didn't happen". :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks