• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PCB EESS Start Box Vent

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't want to argue risks benefits of OEM boxes versus aftermarket. I have both AND a spare.

Noticed reading about the topic corrosion within the boxes leading to the failures (albeit rare).

The boxes themselves seem well built and well sealed with most likely water entry points being at 'top' connector from engine to box.

My impression is this is not related to 'direct' water leaking in from connector point or immersion but more likely condensation?

With similar electrical relays in similar boxes for other applications, I've heard this described as 'pumping' in regarding the heating up and cooling down of components in closed space. Unless hermetically sealed enough moisture/humid air enters and ultimately starts condensing on surfaces. In other applications these boxes can have a 'vent' to allow for more free exchange of air and drying out.

Would like to hear other opinions or knowledge on this and ask the question........any point to installing a 'vent' at the bottom of the box?? Something that could be capped off when fording (rarely) but most of time would remain open to allow for the box the 'breathe"?

Separately is there a thread that specifically covers all the functions of the box? I've read over 10 threads dealing describing much of this, ie glow plug control, starter lockout, etc. I've seen the schematics as well.

Would love to see a bullet point list of specifically the thing these boxes do (most recent ones especially)..........compared to if you simply used one of the aftermarket boxes. My understanding is the aftermarket boxes (good or bad) essentially gives pushbutton glow plug control and starter relay control but otherwise bypasses everything else. Trying to understand exactly what is being lost.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you place a vent you won’t be able to safely ford waterways.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking something with a threaded cap. About 1-3 inches around.

Something you could then cap off similar to the diagnostic port on the OEM boxes but along the bottom of the box.

Could also act as an inspection port to look up in there.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an interesting description of temperature induced pressure cycling. See link to full PDF.

The Problem Fluctuations in temperature create failures in electronic devices due to pressure differentials. Such pressure differentials can be caused by altitude (transporting cargo on an airplane), rapid changes in temperature (using a portable bar code scanner indoors and then outdoors), or internal temperature changes within a device (internal heat source). This constant heating and cooling cycling causes repeated pressure build-up (expansion) and vacuums (collapsing). When pressure is not dissipated, stress is continually placed on the housing seals. The stress causes gaps in the seals, allowing contaminants to enter the device and damage the components — ultimately affecting long-term performance. Gore application engineers simulated a rapid heating and cooling cycle to understand the effects of pressure differentials. This controlled test simulates a real world example. However, the following variables also need to be considered:

• sealed device size • rapid/extreme temperature changes • fluctuations in altitude • fluid exposure • rapid heating and cooling cycles

8C18A12B-A934-4CA2-BE91-B14977824456.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it. Be careful drilling the box. I suggest removing the cover first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks