• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PE-197 Genset Help Req'd.

Good morning all,

Yesterday I purchased a WWII Signal Corps Hobart Bros. PE-197 Genset.

I have no knowledge of these Genset versions but it is a nice compact unit.
Missing one lower panel, complete with handcrank, req's a 6 Volt battery.

I'm going to start cleaning it today, cleaning out the cobwebs and checking fluids etc.

Hope someone has a manual that they could share or where I can find one.
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreiciated. I'll post some pictures later.....

Thanks, Mac

Update: I purchased a manual for the PE-197, so I've seen on YouTube working example(s) of the ZXB Hercules powered Flat head 4-Cyl. engine, I guess the farmers in this country used these powerplants after the WWII. It's going to be a fun and challenging project out of the ordinary for me. I hope the block isn't ruined, but I haven't found the primary resources for spare parts, few here and there.

Thanks, Mac

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

Interesting Mac,
A couple of days ago someone called me that I didn't know and ask me if I wanted a PE-75AF genset. He said if you want it, come get it. Having an affinity for green stuff, went and got it Sunday.
Mine looks just like the one in the picture except no wheels.
No time yet to work on it, but it all looks ready to go after cleaning all the gummy crap out of the fuel system. Oil looks as though it was just changed. Lots of compression, etc.
BC

Attachments

Last edited:

toomanytools

That set looks like a museum peice. Pretty cool. Is is belt drive? Boat's doesn't have a cover, and the way the engine and alt are oriented, looks like belt drive. Did a private owner have this? and what are the specs- kw,speed,volts ? Cool peice, hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Now the nuts and bolts of the Genset are needed.

I removed the shroud last night and found a resident Salamander behind the operator panel. Basically I drained the oil and checked the oil cannister filter and found it has a Lee brand L-70FR Filter which will be replaced.

What type of oil should I use for constant operation or with over 2100 hours operating time.

The sparkplugs used are Autolite A82, What is the gap desired?

The Fuel Pump is inop or bad and the fuel line is gravity feed directly to the carb. Are there Fuel Filters required in the Fuel Bowl on the carb &/or the fuel pump?

What type of air filter is used if any?

I'm still waiting for my PE-197 Maintenance manual to arrive so I have no info.

Thanks, Mac

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

toomanytools,
I'm not sure who you are asking the questions but you are correct. Mine is belt drive, 2800 RPM, 7.9 HP Briggs and Stratton engine, 2.5 KW 60 Hz. Leland alternator which through the belt drive spins at 1800 RPM. Actually has a selector fuel valve for off, set tank and remote fuel supply and a fuel pump in the system.
Engine has a Mfg Date of 7-54 on it.
BC

Well, I've been cleaning up the GenSet, Received the original PE-197 Manual and ordered a gasket set from Hercano yesterday, called 1800-magneto for Bosch points & condensor, only problem I have now is to find new metal core sparkplug wiring. Do I look to old model T's for the wiring?
The control panel wiring is toast, Do I for original sake, stay with the cloth style wiring or go with the new modern teflon coated wiring?
Thanks for any inputs.
Mac

I've been doing lots of research on this Hercules ZXB powered PE-197 GenSet.

Gone thru the wiring diagram and mapped how I'm going to replace all the wiring, with new cloth covered wiring, the fuel pump repaired and carb rebuilt.

I was light sanding the outside metal shell today and found out that it was stenciled "US AIR FORCE" and also found "507" on the doors, so far only one side. The PE-197 was hand painted green over Cat Yellow. Hopefully more info will appear with more sanding. I know the original owner had used the GenSet on his farm in Hollister, CA.

I do have the original manual TM 11-940 dated 5 September 1944.

I'm looking for the TM 9-1828A for Fuel Pumps dated 9 March 1945, lists how to rebuild my AC Glass Bowl Fuel Pump.

Also looking for reference use:
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY SUPPLY MANUAL, SIG 5-2, PART II, VOLUMES 1 & 2,
SIGNAL CORPS GUIDE TO FEDERAL CONVERSION BY CROSS-REFERENCE OF FEDERAL STOCK NUMBERS TO SIGNAL CORPS STOCK NUMBERS,
Published January 1956.

Since the !944 PE-197 Signal Corps Power Unit is a rare bird to find parts, I'm looking for a 2nd parts GenSet for back up.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:
I'm now looking for some new oil cloth welting or also known as braided oil cloth lacing for my 1944 PE-197 Power Unit for the door panels.

I need approx. 9' length, 3/4" wide, same as used on the WIllys Grill & Hood contact welting. Must be one length if possible.

Thanks, Mac

Found the welting from Willys Works in Tucson, AZ.

Question:
I've read that the M5 & M6 were Hercules ZXB powered, Also that ZXA version or ZXB engine was used in the PU-286B/G Gensets.
What other Genset's used the Hercules ZXB engine? Any MEP units?

Thanks, Mac

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Reviving and old thread thanks to GSA I am the proud owner of two PE-197's like macjeeper has and two PE-75's like Boatcarpenter mine have the round gas tanks. Tried one of the 75'sladder 006.jpgladder 005.jpg
and it fired right up had the tank off to clean it out so don't know yet if it will make electrons or not. Will get more pictures up later. Some rural fire dept's had them and the 197 are both mounted on super funky 2 wheel trailers so got some grinding and torching to do. Here is the other 75pe197 001.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pictures of the 197's one has good sheet metal the other not so good.pe197 008.jpgpe197 002.jpgpe197 007.jpgpe197 003.jpgpe197 004.jpgpe197 005.jpgpe197 006.jpg Just what I need more projects, can't wait to get to work on them.

steelypip

What is rated output on a PE-75? It can't be much, but I'm guessing 1 KW or so? That's a really clean PE-175 you have there - probably the nicest unrestored one I've seen.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is rated output on a PE-75? It can't be much, but I'm guessing 1 KW or so? That's a really clean PE-175 you have there - probably the nicest unrestored one I've seen.
The 197's had been sitting on the GSA lot for a while and have been waiting for them to come up and the 75 got added to the lot was an extra bonus and at $100 for the lot I am very happy.

I was thinking the same as you, but tag says 2.5 kw. Going over to gbooth's man cave this afternoon to start the removal of the of the trailers from the gen sets. We are going to put them all in a M101a2 until I have time to work on them and start to restore at least one of each.