• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pedestal identification help

bifleming

Hello, picked this up today. Can anyone help me identify what it is and what it mounts on? Picture attached, it is about 2 1/2 feet high. Not sure I need it, so will probably sell it once I know what it is.

Attachments

historyfanatics

That's a new one for me. It looks kind of like the mounts in some of the FAV's, but that would be a guess.

I'll go for the OPFOR mount. It would support a PKM or M60. Nothing bigger.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen them mounted in the bed of pickup trucks and topless CUCV's with an M-60 mounted on them. They were used to dress up OPFOR (Opposing Force) vehicles.

Prob too light for a "Ma Deuce".
It's 2 1/2 ft tall. Have to be a short gunner!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those mounts were meant to attach to the bed of a small truck and spread the vibration around when the weapon was fired.

There was another piece that fit down into the hole that increased the height of the mount. The cradle for the weapon was mounted to that piece.

Many of those type mounts were made by individual units using patterns they created or copied from other units.

There was a "Skunk Works" shop at Fort Benning back in the 80's that made a lot of oddball stuff for the Rangers and other spook units.

They would take the M151 jeeps and make gun jeeps out of them.

I visited that shop a lot but taking pics was forbidden.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks