• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PeeWee's M1009 Build Thread

PeeWeeQ

Figured I better do one of these, more to chronicle it for myself than for everyone else, but I like constructive criticism, advice, and feedback.

Budget is tight and I'm a family man, but I definately have the green disease. I'm hooked. This is my daily driver, so, I like some creature comforts, but I believe form follows function and I don't like to do something just for the sake of doing it--it needs to be practical and useful.

I'm hoping my end product (is that really possible?), surely, WAY down the road, to be a good all-around truck. Driveable on the road, but good to take on the trail and do MOST anything I need it to. I live in the midwest, so, we have a bit of everything--rocks, mud, sand, snow, hills--you name it. It's gotta be a jack of all trades and master of none (well, maybe some).

I've started slow, and it will be slow, but, I'll do the best I can when I can.

I started with fluids and filters. I need a new windshield and need to replace the vent window seals. I got a used replacement dash pad (better than what I had) and door panels from the junkyard. They're gray and I think I'm gonna dye or paint them black. I'm not a fan of the maroon interior.

I put a radio in the factory spot, some 6X8s in the doors (cutting required). I made a little 12V accessory port where the ashtray was (I'll post pics). I made a 2-part console with a 40mm ammo can and a .50 cal ammo can. I glued some cup holders from an old console to the top of the .50 cal can and mounted my CB in front of that.

Lastly, I herculined the front part of the floor pan and have yet to do the back (next couple of weekends, I'll get to it). I ordered 2 gallons of 383 green Gillespie from Rapco to make 'er look a little more presentable and I'm hoping to coat the underbody with some rattlecan black before winter too. I might even herculine the fender wells.

I have a new oil pan gasket since it leaks a bit, and I figured since I'm under there, I might as well replace the main seal too.

I have a slight vibration on initial acceleration and when I reach 55-70 MPH. Not sure if that could be the drive shaft? I feel it, but don't hear it. Out of balance or slightly bent? Any suggestions?

Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon and keep on movin' along....thanks in advance for looking and comments!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great write up.

On the vibration, an easy and cheap check is to unhook the drive shaft and rotate it 180.

Cool.... and Welcome to SS... Sounds like a good plan, Im doing the same thing, just abit further along though...

My advise, would be while you have the oil pan off replacing gasket and main Seal, is to go ahead and install a stud girdle kit... runs around $120-150 it will help "keep" things together down the road, if you ever decide to turn up IP or add a turbo... to me its just cheap insurance... and given the fact... you will be already there...

I would also throughly inspect the Harmonic balancer while your that close underneath... and if the rubber shows any age or you see any vibrations, like its out of round... replace it... if you dont already know... do a search here.. there's numerous threads that discusses issues with those...

PeeWeeQ

Thank you Warthog and 1 ton...I will look into doing all of those things. One question to Warthog...because I like to know the 'why' behind things, I am wondering what the rationale behind rotating the driveshaft 180 degrees is. In other words, what am I looking for in doing so and how come? Does that actually fix something or is it just a diagnostic trick?

And 1ton...what is a stud girdle kit and what does it do for me? Also, I just checked out your build thread...I love what you've done to the truck. It's amazing, you seem to have almost the exact same vision as me and very practical--nothing that's not useful--Awesome!

Anyway, I'm just curious...I always feel better if I can explain to others (and myself) why I am doing something...Just the NCO in me, I guess...

Thanks again, gents!

Last edited:

forest522

Welcome sir!
About the vent windows...I made a surprising find at our local yard of two complete doors off a same year ('84) Suburban. The vent windows were in much better shape and that's after I'd already bought new rubber to"fix" up my old ones. That was turning into a total PIA. So the new-to-me vent windows were a great find! If hey aren't there the first time ...keep checking back!

PeeWeeQ

"Just curious; why is your solargizer sittin on the floor by your accelerator?"

HaHa! I wondered if anyone would ask abou that...When I was pulling the dash pad off, It came off the windshield, I wanted to mount it on the hood anyway, so, there it sits until I get to it...

PeeWeeQ

Threw in some new Glow Plugs last night...That was fun. Actually it wasn't bad. The only minor inconvenience was that I had to change all of the connectors to 1/4" female connectors because the old ones were too small.

I went with the AC Delco 60Gs. The beast had been starting pretty rough in the AM and it seemed like it had started absolutely guzzling diesel. I pulled all of the GPs and found two that were bad. I figured I'd just replace them all. What a difference! Fires off almost immediately and no rough running. We'll see if the MPG gets any better.

For the connectors, I bought standard 1/4" female connectors with heat shrink tubing over the crimp. I put some HS tubing over the whole connector and added a little dialectric grease to boot.

The only thing I noticed is that it seems to take a little longer for the wait light to go out. Is this any cause for concern? I wouldn't think so. I would guess that they're actually all heating up like they're supposed to. Anyway.....On to the next thing--O2 sensors on the wife's van before I can do anymore to the CUCV....

Thanks for looking!

forest522

Funny, mine too! After replacing all eight, connectors and the whole shebang...the glow light does stay on longer. Interesting...no problems so far though (other than those that already existed before!)

PeeWeeQ

Been a while since I did anything, and I had some electrical issues, so, I figured I'd install the circulating heater I bought.

It's a Katz 1500W and it works great. I teed into the lower radiator hose and into one of the heater hoses. That 2"x2"x5/8" tee sucked to find, but I finally found it at O'Reilly's online for about $12 after shipping.

I mounted it to the front battery tray bracket (under the tray). In this cold (about 12 degrees), after running it for about an hour, it makes the engine spin right over and NO ROUGH RUNNING!! Love it! I've heard a rumor that if I leave the defrost vent open, it'll keep frost off the windshield as well. We'll see....

PeeWeeQ

Jeez... Thought I should update this...

--Dealing with a gen 2 gremlin
--Swapped the front and rear end for 3/4 ton 3:73s (14 bolt SF rear) out of a 3/4 ton '90 Suburban after my driver's side rear axle broke
--New Rancho 5000 shocks
--Replaced ALL fusible links (except the glow plug ones).
--Battery cutoff switches
--Gen 2 rebuilt
--New Batteries
--Sony stereo and door speakers
--Herculiner on floor

In progress:

--Spin-on fuel filter w/gauge
--replacing the stock mech fuel pump with Mr. Gasket D12 electric. I'll be adding a manual switch in the cab and one in the engine compartment for priming convenience.

In the near future:
--FIND MY GEN 2 GREMLIN!!! (dash is currently torn apart)
--Doghead relay mod
--tranny fluid/filter change
--Sound deadening (floor pan and hood)
--B&M unimatic floor shifter conversion
--hand throttle
--fiberglass dash/center console repair/remodel/fabrication (hoping to make a spot to fit my galaxy tab for navigation and entertainment).
--new gauges (oil pressure, water temp, tach)
--CB
--Better radio and speakers
--seat covers and/or better seats (maybe a junkyard bench or heated leather for the front)
--BETTER TIRES!
--a coat or 3 of the Rapco 383 green I bought 2 years ago...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks