• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pennsylvania M35A2 owners.....A couple questions for you.

Acripledbadger

17 year old with m35a2 in Pennsylvania needing advice on insurance!

I'm a 17 year old in north eastern pa and I just got a 1971 m35a2 from Texas and I plan on using it as my personal vehicle but I don't want it to be stuck being only able to drive it once a week. No hauling other than the junk on the construction site! Who should I look into getting insured by? And who will not be to strict on things I can do with it?

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

If you want to drive everyday you need normal registration which is more expensive than the antique registration that limits you to one day a week driving.

Now, I have my insurance with Haggerty which is super cheap. I have one antique vehicle with the antique registration with them and one antique vehicle with a normal registration with them so I can drive it often, so you still might be able to get a break on insurance.

Haggerty's only limitation for me was no re-enactment use and it needed to be garage kept.

Don't kid yourself though. Any under writer that sees 17 year old, 14k lb truck, and antique vehicle will probably see warning signals and dollar signs!

joshs1ofakindxj

You don't need a CDL but it is always a good idea to have it for the lessons in big truck driving.

I don't know who else to recommend. Spend some time on the phone getting quotes. Other insurer's like Allstate might quote you a lot more with commercial registration.

I just talked to a state trooper that does commercial truck road side inspections last week about this:

If you have an antique registration, you're restricted from hauling a load, and therefore NOT REQUIRED to stop at a weigh station, BUT he says you should because they might mistake you for a commercial truck and chase you down, so it is a good idea to stop and say hi and be on your way.

If you get a commercial registration you have to stop at the weigh station and they get to scrutinize the condition of your brakes hoses and tire tread so have your truck in good shape so you don't get in trouble.

gunboy1656

Hey thanks I really appreciate the help but as a last resort and they don't cover me which other should I use as a back up and do I need a special license?
You can talk to state farm, progressive. Start talking to them all. Do it in person and make sure you take pics of your truck with you so they know exactly what your have. Curious as to what they tell you,being that your 17.

Be prepared for sticker shock when (and if) they quote you a price.

Since you want to run it regularly your looking at 400 plus for just the registration.

PA does not require anything more then a class C license.

Acripledbadger

Well I just went to look at one today and my grandfather brought up a good point should I get in touch with pandot and see if they will even let me drive it in Pennsylvania first because I just met a guy today who just bought one but he is getting it licensed in newyork! What should I do and who should I call or talk to?

joshs1ofakindxj

I have no idea why you would license in NY. Costs on registration and insurance are higher.

I had NO issues registering and insuring my truck and others will say the same.

Someone is blowing smoke up your rear end.

Tlauden

Agree with above. There is nothin that says a 17 year old can not drive a deuce. I got mine when I was 19. It's registered for normal use, it needs inspected annually, they inspection station loves it, plus they only charge $22 for inspection. It doesn't need emissions. The registration is a good chunk of change, I want to say around $250 a year, it's registered in the 12,000-14,000LBS class, I forget what that is. Maybe class 6???? I have state farm as insurance provider. Being such a big vehicle you need a commercial policy for non-commercial use. ( I know it doesn't make sense but that's how state farm words it) I pay right around $23.00 per month for insurance on the deuce. It's not the minimum but at the same time it's not full coverage. I forget the exact numbers what it's insured for but it covers my a$$ and the other drivers but the truck, if totaled, would be a loss.

Do your research, state farm is great, go personally in to talk with them. Take pictures with you, I took a flash drive and she copied them to her computer so she had a picture on file with the info I guess. They consider a normal ( normal as in a regular bed with or without the troop seats) m35a2 a stake body truck. I only had one issue when I got my insurance card. For make they put "Jeep" and for model they put "Kaiser". I had to go back and explain to the that "jeep kaiser" was the make and m35a2 was the model. It was no big deal.

Best of luck to ya, just take your time, and do your research into what works best for you. You will love the truck.

Tyler

Acripledbadger

Well I found a surplus up in montrose that I'm getting the truck from, and am finalizing the purchase with him not what do I do on tires? Is there a place that sells the net's or similar tires nearby for a good price? And also guys thanks for the advice on the truck and help getting out of the headache making ditch I was stuck in.. Thanks guys I appreciate it, but at points I still may need help and have a few more questions to ask! Thanks!

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kens got tires up there im sure. His prices are good on them. I ve dealt with him a bunch so I know you ll be getting a truck that will be good to go. Good luck.:beer:

Srjeeper

Tires

You first need to decide how your using the truck, then decide what type tire you plan on going with.

The military NDT's are an off road tire for the most part and do not work well on wet or snow covered roads.

The newer radials are better if your planning on this being driven alot in all kinds of weather conditions.

Kublo's, Coleman's all sell used military tires near you. New tires are quite expensive, no matter what type you decide on, so think it over and start checkin prices out.

Swapmeets & shows are another good placed to pick up used tires so watch 'Coming Events' and hit some of them starting in March.

Acripledbadger

Yea thats where I'm getting the truck from(kublos) from ken jr. An you guys mentioned insurance companies I'm person I'm not finding any nearby, the ones I can find though are literally on the south eastern line on pa... Is there any nearby that I am missing?