• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pennsylvania Road Trip

ONTOS66

Last Sunday (21 Nov.) I had an opportunity to take my M1028 from North West New Jersey to the Reading, PA area.

I have been looking for a pair of replacement doors for my M1009 and found them through the Steel Soldiers classified. Member "tlucca" had a set for sale thanks to some mods he was making on his M1009. The result ... ROAD TRIP.

It took a couple of weeks to set things up thanks to a minor electrical problem with my M1028, then there was the matter of his wife being pregnant and due any moment, etc. ;)

Fortunately mom and baby had their moment and all went well. Congratulations to Tom and family.

Being guys, when we did get together we got side tracked on talking about military service, our respective vehicles and projects, and I cleverly forgot to get the details on the new family member. My apologies to them. (hey, in my defense ... I'm a guy!) :)

Tom has decided that an M1009 looks nice from the outside, but is uncomfortable on the inside. So, being a mechanic, and having access to a totaled civilian blazer, he has replaced the military doors with civilian ones with power windows and door locks, and installed a totally civilian interior .. seats (comfortable ones that recline), carpet, etc. Still work to be done but an interesting project .... and we had so much fun talking about it that I DIDN'T GET ANY PICTURES OF IT. My apologies .. hopefully he will submit something when it is completed.

I did however get a photo of his Pioneer Tool Trailer which is looking pretty good. He has some of the original tools that were included with the trailer (like the portable lights in the photo) and a lot of new gear of his own. Generator, air compressor, tool sets, etc., etc. Very nice setup. As Tom says, "now all his tools are in one place."

With the aide of my navigator we made the trip there and back without incident and the truck ran like a (noisy) Swiss watch. The glasspack mufflers certainly get peoples attention. :D

Next project will be to get the old doors off the blazer and the new doors on. Photos will be provided.

The M1028 is sporting a new rattle can "carc" paint job. Next year I'll finish the camo paint scheme on the truck and S250 shelter. For now it looks lean and green. Handled well on the highways and back roads, no problem doing highway speeds except for some speedometer cable noise.

Devil (my red Doberman) is riding shotgun. He handles important things like navigation and security.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks