• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pershing Missile haulers

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you know by now, the primary role for the M656 series 8x8 trucks was that of servicing the Pershing missle system.
The XM757's were used for a good 15 years and then replaced with 10-ton tractors, M983 and/or MAN trucks.
The missile erector/launcher was equipped with a small crane to facilitate the assembly of the missile. The M983 came with a crane on the tractor.

Here is a concept XM757 that could have been assembled with existing parts. I know, I have all the parts needed. :)

I want to emphesize that I'm only toying with the idea, our MV's are so much like large scale erector set models.

I do have a question, though, what is the minimum space required from the center of the 5th wheel and the crane in this case? It is usually about 60 inches, but what would the concequences be if it was reduced to, say, 50 inches?

Attachments

Elwenil

Granted you would have a lot more cargo capacity, but would the crane boom be long enough to service even a 28' trailer? And would the fuel and maintenance costs of the larger 5 ton make swapping everything off the Deuce feasible? I like the idea, but I'm wondering if the added cargo space will be usable and worth all the added costs. Especially if you travel with it as you have with the Deuce. A breakdown on a cross country trip in the XM757 will be a lot harder to deal with at a truckstop than the Deuce was, lol!

As for the distance for the swing of the front of the trailer, I know there is a commercial standard, but it would really depend on the trailer and where the kingpin is located. I know some trailers are made a little different and have some clearance issues and I would think the military ones would be more sensitive to this with the off road capability and doesn't the 5 ton 5th wheel tilt? Just my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks