• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photos of My M916

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M172 is a really nice rig, lots of capacity, stable ride, but biggest advantage is with wide armor on board you can walk around the deck and stay on your feet! I re-did on mine, to good effect, the air lines, wiring, slack adjusters, and seals.
Eventually, I'll be doing some work to this one. It needs new tires and lighting. I need a spare tire, and I seem to recall the wheels being oddball. I think I'll put all LED lighting on it and add a 12v commercial electrical connector. I want to replace the broken boards now and maybe all of the wood later. I want to add spring brakes.

I want to add a fairlead for the 916 winch on to the gooseneck of the trailer.

I think I'll leave the paint alone for now.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some time ago, my 916 started leaking fuel from the top of the engine somewhere. I figured it must be one of the o-rings in the fuel crossover tubes between the cylinder heads.

M35A2-AZ came over and we dug into the engine to get to where these were hiding. A lot of stuff has to come off the truck so that you can get to the crossovers. I took the valve covers, jake brakes, and rocker boxes off so that I could get the crossover seats really clean. Since we had disturbed the rocker boxes, the valves had to be set again.

I haven't had any free time to put everything back together yet, so the truck is buttoned up, but hasn't been started yet... :)

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for 1100x24s for a Mack we are putting together and they are hard to find. Eastern Surplus had 5 I think removed from a overhauled truck for what seemed like a good price, see if they still have them

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have been looking for 1100x24s for a Mack we are putting together and they are hard to find. Eastern Surplus had 5 I think removed from a overhauled truck for what seemed like a good price, see if they still have them
i have a full set of 11 of them in 11R24s on wheels Karl

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the right steer tire blow out on Tuesday at 55 mph. The blowout was uneventful - tire popped and I coasted to a stop. The truck didn't want to pull to the side until I was almost stopped.

Changing the tire was eventful, as I thought I had everything I needed to complete the task, but I did not.

I had a 12 ton bottle Jack and block of wood that I've used to change the tire with before - but not a completely flat, blown out, wheel on the asphalt one. What I ran into was that the bottle Jack didn't have enough throw to lift the axle high enough to get the new tire on, but wouldn't fit under the axle with the wood cribbage that I had with me. I couldn't dig a hole to put the block into because I was on asphalt.

I ended getting another bottle jack and using one to get the axle high enough to get the other jack and wood under the axle and then high enough to get the tire on.

It occurred to me that I could also have got the flat tire high enough to get the wood block under that and the started the bottle jack with more screw threads out. I think I'll keep two bottle jacks in each truck now.

The tire didn't harm anything else, like the brake line, which I'm happy about. It did tear up the mudflap and bracket, but that's an easy fix.
I was headed to Ft Huachuca to pick up a trailer.

Resized_20190806_091214 (1).jpg Resized_20190806_091222 (1).jpg Resized_20190806_165037 (1).jpg

I also used a 3-1/2" to 2" kingpin adapter for the first time and it worked great with no problems at all.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Reference post 166: when in service I used to run a lot of missions with a M818 out of convoy so I didn't have a truck full of tools, parts, and 2 mechanics with me at all times I carried 2ea bottle jacks, a 3/4" breaker bar and sockets, an extra 11:00X20 tube, a tire hammer and lock ring tools. When we finally got steel belted radial tires the need to fix flats declined. As stated in post 166 1 jack closed up enough to fit under the axle with a flat will not raise the truck up high enough to to install a fully inflated tire on the hub. If you are on dirt you can dig a hole under the end of the axle to fit the wheel/tiren the hub: on a paved surface definitely need 2 jacks.

fasttruck

Reference to post 155: 15" wheels on m 172s are unique to that trailer. They are also Budd style stud piloted wheels. The lug nuts for the inside wheel are unlike the ones on equipment with 20" wheels
in that they have shallow lug nuts and a spacer is provided between the inner and outer wheel to accommodate them. Naturally the ones on the driver's side have left handed threads. A 1.5" deep socket is required to reach the inner lug nuts. The applicable tm describes how to make 1 lug wrench out of 2 by welding them together to get to the inside wheel. Gov Planet recently sold some of these wheels and tires out of Chambersburg, PA for ridiculous cheap money. Jack in Tucson probably has some.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved another deuce and a half last weekend.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another nifty mod?... - but not sure what's going on here...

View attachment 839264
Yeah, they're spacers to set the trailer on to keep the front higher than the 916 roller, so I don't have to use the winch to hook up each time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks