• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pick a M35A3

Which truck to chose?

• M109A3

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • M35A3 w/winch

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • M35A3C dropside with or without winch

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NEIOWA

Acquiring a M35A3 for Fire Dept/City. Your opinion requested.

Option 1. M109A4. Box reported rebuilt at same time as the rebuild of chassis.

Option 2. M35A3 with winch (hydraulic). Remove winch.

Option 3 M35A3C dropside with or without winch

Removal sale of 109 box, dropside bed, and or winch will go towards conversion of the chassis so useful to us.

Estimate of value of good condition

- M109 rebuilt box $_______
- M35A3C dropside bed $______
- M35A3 hydraulic winch $______

Last edited:

BadMastard

My assumption is you are using it for a fire truck with tank, hose, etc. With that assumption, I'd go M35a3 dropside. Check your pricing, you may find an a3 with winch then selling the winch won't net you much versus buying a m35a3 w/ow. But like Derrickl112 says, we'd need more details, like size/weight of replacement bed you are using, do you need PTO if removing winch anyway, are you looking for better cost/mileage etc. Details make the answer so much more fun.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by the bottem of his post, he already has the two a3's he mentions plus a 109 box laying around. Looks like he's trying to figure out what set up would be best.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Being with a Fire Dept. id say the M109A3 , but im guessing you mean M109A4. The A3's are alot of work vs' the M35A2's and M190A3's for a Fire Dept to have a turn key truck ready at any time.
Are you getting the truck from State Surplus or are you buiying it? If buying it why not buy a real nice A2C then you will have a flat bed truck that you pretty much dont have to worry about tires loosing air like the A3's and things like that.
-Jay

We have two brush trucks and one is a M715.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a M109A3 and not the M109A4, then that would be my pick. All the issues that plague the M35A3 would be gone and you'd have a multifuel engine and manual trans.

03silverado

If installing a water tank such as a brush truck might have I would say any dropside truck would give you more access to the tank and could easily store and remove tools from bed if your making a brush truc I would say keep the winch for added security while off road

Tlauden

If installing a water tank such as a brush truck might have I would say any dropside truck would give you more access to the tank and could easily store and remove tools from bed if your making a brush truc I would say keep the winch for added security while off road
:ditto:

what ever route you go i would keep the winch

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im guessing thats why they are after the A3's. I'm sure they wont be using WMO or anything like that. AND as sad as it sounds not everyone can drive a manual trans. truck.
Are they "after" the A3's or is that simply what is being made available thru State Surplus?

While the intention may not be to run WMO or anything like that, I'd feel pretty good about an emergency vehicle being able to in a pinch.

And yes, it is very sad that some people cannot drive a manual shift anything.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Correction M109A4. No interest in multifuel/manual. It's CAT/Allison

I was apparently not clear. Cost to us to acquire any of the 3 options is the same (essentially $0). Question is what most "profitable" endgame is.

Does a new condtion M109 (A4) body have marketability/what value vs dropside bed? Std bed is dime a dozen.

A3 hyd. winch,?

Will be stripping chassis to bare frame. Don't need a winch on finished unit.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

FD largely gave up on buying manual trans (when could afford Allisons) about the same time as Uncle Sam (25yrs ago). And it is getting more so every year. The % of the population that can drive a manual without breaking you on clutch/equipment repairs is small. We long got past the "not qualified to drive unless can run a split rear" syndrome. If not, most FD couldn't get anything out the door. In my FD mostly farmers so at least 1/2 our guys can still drive a stick but it's "old school".

Typical Vol FF may drive someting larger than the family car a couple times a month. Add lights/siren, VHF radio, high adrenaline level on a call and removing one major distraction (shifting) is a very significant safety improvement. I want eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel

If ever gets to the point I need to run MWO in my $300000 fire truck we have bigger problems than going to fire calls. Not on the radar. I'll stick with modern diesels burning dino fuel

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on that, I'd get the dropside. Although people do want a nice 109 box now and then, you can get rid of the dropside bed much faster if you don't intend on keeping it.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yeah , you would have a hard time selling a nice M109 box in my area. Drop sides way better to go.

You know it is sad , I know guys on my dept. that cant drive the M715, Jay

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the M35A3C. Those beds are popular and easy to sell. A little off topic, but I personally would not hire a firefighter that couldn't drive a manual transmission. Fire fighters become involved in many emergency situations where the skill to drive a manual transmission could be important.

NEIOWA

Thanks for input on body. I thought M109 body would likely be more valuable and perhaps more marketable. Seem to be few dropsides available.

You get stuck its your stupidity not our problem. We'll rescue you if needed. Your vehicle needs assistance it's your problem we left the job where we earn the income that feeds our family to come help you and we're going back to it as soon as incident is stabilized. Will help you find a local farmer with tractor (in Iowa 100s) or a towing serivce to pull you out. You're going to have to care of you own problems. Pulling a stuck vehicle is hardly ever an emergency. In an extrication a winch is not the proper tool. Its lifting bags.

Won't argue the point on manual trans. Keeping the truck between the ditchs under high stress job environment it very important. Other stuff not so much. At less 1000mi per year, it's cheaper to maintain the Allison than replace clutches. Ask Uncle Sam.

Warm body and willing to volunteer to step up the plate is 1st criteria for a vol FF (you are?). Anytime of day/night, any weather, for ZERO pay. Will actually get out of bed or leave family/job when pager goes off.
Then
- Will follow direction (orders)
- At least reasonably physically fit for age and weight proportional to height (are you?) . more fit than the general public today.
- Not a obvious heartattack risk.
- Can and will attend regular training.
- Most useful if can wear 50lb turnout gear and 25lb airpak while climning a 35' ladder, with a chainsaw, and then cut a large hole into the roof of a burning house. Or same gear enter a burning house with zero visibility, pulling a hoseline to search for victim or extingish a fire.
- Or for some FD skilled and can undertake other critical tasks. Tanker driver for example.
- No DWI. Not career criminal (or any criminal record).
- Emotional stable and responsible, hopefully not exciteable/flakey under stress.
- Teamplayer that others volunteers can stand being around.
- Can get/hold a CDL and is insurable.

Your Local FD likely can use your assistance as FF, performing maintenance on trucks, equipment, building/grounds, construction of apparatus or water supplies (MANY rural vol. FD survive on this), fund raising/grant writing.

So operate manual transmission is WAYYYY down the list. even for drivers training. Just like business it's less expensive to make the tools fit the job than the human.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks