• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a few trucks...pics of the rigs

JamesM

Over the past year or so I picked up a few trucks for friends and family. Here are a few pictures of the rigs...
Truck is an 08 RAM 3500. Trailer is a friend of mine's...an All-Pro I think rated at 20k...The trailer in the first picture is mine (rated at 20k as well)

Been to Tyndall AFB twice (a deuce each time), Camp Shelby, MS (for the M818, Central FL (bobbed 5-ton), San Antonio, TX (for the deuce with the tarp), and a few local hauls (deuce on singles and the CUCV (which is now mine))

...and I know a got a lot of finger in the picture with the CUCV but it is the best one I have from that day.

Hope you guys enjoy...and I hope there are many more to come!

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are pushing the limits of the trailer with a deuce on it , you definitly are overloaded with the 5 ton . But who cares about saftey right , it fit.
I guess you missed this thread ; 2012 F450 Hauling 32,000 lbs , You should pay perticular attention to post # 84 by tigger .

Last edited:

JamesM

yeah...bad decisions...made it home safely though and have not and will not do that again!

The cummins pulled everything pictured and everything else I have hooked it too without a problem! Love that motor!!

Varyag

I am not going to :deadhorse: but posting the 5 ton on that trailer is going to bring down a little heat.

Otherwise, if I could be so lucky to have that kind of access to big iron.

seano11

keyword here is CUMMINS not a powerstroke or duramax but a CUMMINS they are good for 22,750 pulling something like a 5ton behind a 1 ton makes sense to me. Just gotta know your truck He made it home safely said he won't do it again prob got a new set of undies out of the deal :D

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It actually helps on towing if you turn them around backwards. I noticed that towing my 5 ton around. going up the big hill near my house I slowed to 33/35 with it nose forward and 40/42 with it backwards. Then again, there are not many hills in your area there. Heck I towed my 5 ton around with my little IDI and its whole 170hp non turbo. STOPPING is the fun part. Least here there is no traffic.

I figured once I moved to Memphis if anyone needed to use my 5 ton with gooseneck trailer for recoveries in the area they could. I have 20' 20k GN and a 40' 40k GN

JamesM

Thanks for all the comments.

The 5 ton was the heaviest by far, but the truck did very well and stopped well too! Even after arriving safely and not breaking anything, I still won't be doing that anytime soon...ever. lol

Fortunately, this trans is a manual so a southbend dual disc clutch and a flywheel was the only worrying I had to do about the tranny :D

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the tranny is what I would worry about.
A friend wanted me to tow a large tractor for him. I said i did not feel comfortable towing over the large hills, so he borrowed a trailer and did it himself. Next month I had to replace his transmission for him. :gimp2:

Oros35

You wouldn't be able to pass a cop with that setup around here.

You can only go up to what the manufacutrer says the GCW is. Then you must have the correct combination plate to go with it. Your total allowable would be around 23,500lbs with that combo. You might not even be legal with that Jeep and bed on that size trailer. And these are federal based rules.

My truck is combo'd at 22K, with a 4500lb trailer. I can get 10K on the deck legal.

You would have been talking $thousands$ in fines for a load like that in PA. And the cops around here are really looking for loads like these.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your Dodge looks like the size of a deuce! Hope your doors don't rust out like my 2500. BTW I'm looking at buying a 5 ton wrecker, are you available to haul it? :)

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the comments.

The 5 ton was the heaviest by far, but the truck did very well and stopped well too! Even after arriving safely and not breaking anything, I still won't be doing that anytime soon...ever. lol

The truck doing well and stopping made you feel good about, would have ment nothing if the DOT man got ahold of you.

zout

Reminds me of when I started with a company and wondered why they burned the brakes and transmission out of NPR Isuzu 16 ft box trucks.

After watching them load one morning - front to back - top to bottom was loaded with PAPER - kind you chuck into a printer - 8x11 sheets in packages - in boxes and then on pallets. I brought the safety director to the scales with me - that was the end of that process. They bought a certified scale and all the trucks loads are scaled before loaded. Plus weight distributed.

Just cause it fits - does it mean its safe or load worthy.

Watch folks at your nearby Home Depot tie stuff on their car by the loading dock and watch that baby.

I see nothing but a couple good examples of what not to do.

JamesM

All good comments and advice and I appreciate it all!

Like I was saying, nothing like that has been attempted since nor will be in the future. In fact, since making those trips, i have done a lot more reading and talking with people who know the business (and more importantly, the rules) and couldn't feel like a bigger idiot in some of those cases aua. Of course the ins and outs of the business and rules are no match for the importance of safety I am constantly reminded of when I think of these trips. Fortunately, lady luck was on my side then, but she won't be tested again!

I appreciate all the comments and I know it was stupid pulling some of those things down the road...the pictures were more to just show the trucks not showcase poor decision making.

IdahoPlowboy

keyword here is CUMMINS not a powerstroke or duramax but a CUMMINS they are good for 22,750 pulling something like a 5ton behind a 1 ton makes sense to me. Just gotta know your truck He made it home safely said he won't do it again prob got a new set of undies out of the deal :D
Cummins has nothing to do with it, they will all pull lots of weight its stopping it that matters.aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks