• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M416. What to do first?

Vanhalo

Overall it's in good condition.

It needs a floor obviously....I knew that going in.

The tailgate has never been cut and it's solid.

Chassis looks good.

New tires.

12v wiring (lights work) (edited)

Bearings repacked. (edited)

Bead blast it? Wire brush?

IMG_0294.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0290.jpgIMG_0295.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0291.jpg

Last edited:

Barrman

There is an amazing number of people selling all the body parts for those trailers. That is just cut and weld work.

I got one myself a few years ago that had been sitting for a number of years. You already have tires. I would suggest wiring and bearings next. Which means you need to decide if you plan to go expedition trailer or stay military.

Staying military means fix what you have and do the body work. Then enjoy the perfect camping trailer.

Lots of threads here and especially on expedition portal about people swapping axles for electric brakes and lug patterns to match there Jeep, roof top tent frames and such.

I kept mine miltary and it was the base camp for a high school mountain bike team through a season of races all over the state. It was perfect for that. Whatever you do, I think you will enjoy your new trailer.

Vanhalo

I want to keep it military. Initially (before I took possession) I thought I wanted to paint it to match my Jeep but I have changed my mind.

I am going to replace the floor with a Midwest Military floor.

The previous owner rewired it for 12v and repacked the bearings. I towed it 150 miles home @ about 60MPH.

Looks like one of the previous owners painted over the OD with black paint. The guy I bought it from was in the process of removing that layer. You can see the OD shining through.

IMG_0299.jpgIMG_0300.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0298.jpg30127656_153112122187138_6598877291846108599_n.jpg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you pay? That is important when deciding what to do. If you got it cheap enough, then anything is possible. If you paid close to retail, then, fix it as best as you can and enjoy it. That's why I am asking.

Vanhalo

What did you pay? That is important when deciding what to do.
$800 + trade (Owner was asking $1300)...This was the best deal in my 200 mile radius considering its really only the floor the really needs work. I looked at a M100 for $400 but it would have cost me more to get it where this one is.

I searched the entire nation on CL. If you figure in gas, mileage, and transport this was the best deal. I had to be able to tow it home.

It came with a hitch too. That saved me $100-$130.

Last edited:

Vanhalo

There is an amazing number of people selling all the body parts for those trailers. That is just cut and weld work.

I got one myself a few years ago that had been sitting for a number of years. You already have tires. I would suggest wiring and bearings next. Which means you need to decide if you plan to go expedition trailer or stay military.

Staying military means fix what you have and do the body work. Then enjoy the perfect camping trailer.

Lots of threads here and especially on expedition portal about people swapping axles for electric brakes and lug patterns to match there Jeep, roof top tent frames and such.

I kept mine miltary and it was the base camp for a high school mountain bike team through a season of races all over the state. It was perfect for that. Whatever you do, I think you will enjoy your new trailer.
I replied to your post earlier but it went to the administrator to be approved?

I want to keep it military. Back to OD and military markings.

The bearings have been repacked and the lights work.

I also want to use it camping and around the house.

Last edited:

Vanhalo

On further inspection it looks like most of the floor is solid underneath.

You can clearly see the sheet metal through the layers of paint on most of the floor.

IMG_0301.jpgIMG_0302.jpg

It looks like only the front section is rusted through.
IMG_0303.jpgIMG_0304.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. I saw my first 416 in the wild three weeks ago. It was like a rare sighting of an endangered specie. It was on hwy 121 in Lewisville TX loaded down with wood and a ladder being pulled by a mustard colored bronco. Wonder if he’s a member here or Expo?

Had my wife take pictures since I was driving. Definitely a cool trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks