• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M929 at Pineville, LA

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm finally getting around to updating here. :clinto:

In September/October 2013, I painted and re-stenciled the M929 (right before the GA Rally). I took pictures during the process, but I can't find them now.

Oh well, I used a Harbor Freight super cheap, HPLV, $10 on sale, gravity feed spray gun. The paint was Behr Ultra Premium flat exterior paint and primer all in one paint. For the stencils, I used Walmart flat black spray paint.

For prep, I pressure washed everywhere I was going to paint. If there was any rust, I hit it with a scraper and wire brush, then primed with Tractor Supply Red Oxide primer. I didn't sand anything that wasn't pealing.

I sprayed painted everything except the inside of the bed which I rolled. I did thin the paint a little with water to make it spray right, and had to clean the spray gun (with soapy water) half way through the paint job. Other than that, the Behr sprayed and covered with no problems.

The only real problem I had was applying the stencils. I made the stencils using a cutting machine I have and the stencil material itself is adhesive backed. I had a problem with them not sticking to the Behr paint. I only had a few days for the paint to cure before I had to apply the stencils so maybe if I had more time it would not have been a problem. In the past I have had issues with the stencils sticking too aggressively.

The paint job came out well and has been very durable. It was painted less than a week before the road trip to the GA Rally and I painted the stencils the day before I left. I didn't even get any pictures of the finished product until I was on the way there or coming back.

IMG_3590.jpgIMG_3589.jpgIMG_3570.jpgIMG_3578.jpg

I took one picture of the bed before I scratched it up with the wood I took to the Rally.

IMG_3561.jpg

I'm very happy with the Behr paint. After returning from the GA Rally, I pressure washed the truck and the only place any paint came off was the exhaust pipe below the cab. No real complaints there, Behr isn't a high temp paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks