• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picked up a MEP-017A last night, got some questions....

ODdave

So i picked up a MEP-017A last night, after skimming through the manual and tinkering with it i got it to fire up. It ran fine for the first few run cycles but the i lost spark. After removing the mag and cleaning the little bit of rust from it, it runs great!

My questions are,

Where can i get the correct battery for it? or is there a easy/ clean alternative?

If i let it run at an idle for an extended amount of time will it hurt anything? how long can/ should it idle?

What is the magneto point gap to be set at?

Where can i find a new air intake tube? the rubber one from the air cleaner to the carb.

citizensoldier

Speddmon can fill you in on the technical stuff. He knows his gensets! I purchased a few of them little 24volt dry cells and they don't last and can not take the cold at all. Save your money is my two cents. I just built a bigger tray and use two garden tractor batteries with the ad on stud post terminal. . They have plenty of power to start it and when on sale are only 17 bucks or so. Just my two cents worth..lol

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help out much with at all with the battery question, don't even know what size of battery they take.

As to Idling the generator, DON'T! Every generator on the market, whether civilian or military or even commercial (with the exception of the newer "Inverter Type" generators) are intended to start and go right to rated speed. They need the speed for the output frequency and for the excitation to generate the proper voltage. I'm not sure about the 017's but on the MEP's you'll burn out the voltage regulator if you idle it for any length of time.

I'm not sure which engine is on the 017 so I can't help out with the points gap or with the air intake tube...sorry.

jbk

point gap 0.015 plugs are 0.080 good luck on the battery. i found some surplus correct batts. on ebay years ago. i think its the same as the 701 but you can always use two lawn mower batts. just have to make a frame. saturn surplus has many parts for these but the intake tube you may have to make. i would put new points and cond. in it, resurfacing wont last. ing. timming a bit tricky i use a 24 volt timming light to do it. you need the engine manual tm 5-2805-258-14 theirs a fellow on ebay that has them right now. dont idle the set it takes about one min. to blow your vr. cut my teeth on the 017 good gen. will handle the same load as the 002 a little loud 82 db at 25 ft. 1.4 gph full load

MitchG

I got a 701 not long ago and I don't think you will be able to put the lawnmower batts in it. The ASK housing limits what will go in the batt compartment. It's awfully tight in there. I got two lawnmower batteries but took them back because I couldn't get them to fit in the housing. Mine has the diesel engine so I can't help on the points etc...

ODdave

ok, used the genset last weekend for a little bit and decided it was a little to loud for me. after instaling a muffler i went to re-start it and it would not crank........I belive i need a relay. i have attached pics. Anyone know if these are still available?

Attachments

jbk

saturn used to have these for 18 bucks. i might have a used one. the tm has a good procedure to check these, continuity checks between the numbered pins. with a meter you should be able to check first. will it turn over at all? have you tried starting it in emergency run position?

jbk

tm 5-6115-332-14 page 4-58 and 4-59 in the resource section for troubleshooting reley. looks like k1 or k4 could cause stating problems k1 is used to start engine. is remote local switch on local?

ODdave

it would not start in emerg run. i switched k1 with k4 and was able to start the gen, it would not run in normal mode though. im pretty positive its the relay. do they use these in any other sets? I really apreciate the help. Thanx

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I clicked on the link but nothing came up. If that little part can stop the parade surely someone has figured a way around it.
Google
[h=2]0109-0245 07A613BC1-0013-relay[/h]the first hit is a fresh link to that site , it shows they have 4 left.