• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up an 09 M1123 and the power steering is wonky

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2009 M1123 6.5 NA 4L80E in very good running condition. No leaks, none. Zero

The only problem I'm having with it is the power steering feels very much like it has air in the system/low on fluid- however the black lunar lander fluid reservoir typically near the fuel filter on the top of the engine is..just not there. There are no plugged lines, no leaks, and the lines to the steering box are hooked up. Truck definitely has *some* power steering as you can turn the wheel with one finger, but it makes about a quarter turn and then increases resistance then goes back to easy, in a pulsing pattern while you turn the wheel. Exactly like it's got air in it. The pump seems to be present under the 200a alternator, following the hoses did not reveal any reservoir to add/check fluid. Perhaps they updated the system and it's buried somewhere less than obvious? All the 2016+ trucks I have access to at work have the black reservoir right on top.

Like I said, absolutely no leaks or plugged dangling lines. Please advise
Can't hold my breath any longer, did you get your wonky fixed???

Thumper580

I have a 2000 M1123 with the built in PS reservoir, not the remote. The PS level is right on the cold mark in the morning. It seems whine noticeable.. Almost obnoxious. Maybe it will go away with time or should I open the PS cap and turn the wheels left and right to see if there is any air trapped somewhere??? Definitely a noticeable whining sound.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I have a 2000 M1123 with the built in PS reservoir, not the remote. The PS level is right on the cold mark in the morning. It seems whine noticeable.. Almost obnoxious. Maybe it will go away with time or should I open the PS cap and turn the wheels left and right to see if there is any air trapped somewhere??? Definitely a noticeable whining sound.
Any chance it could be the Cadillac valve gremlins trying to get out?

Gremlins under the hood, CAMO

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Most, when fan clutch is disengaged have a high pitched ultrasonic sound that can be conducted to it's mount, amplified by the foot well shelf...

Intermittent detection due to fan cycling on or off.

Squeaks, rattles and clunks, CAMO

Thumper580

Most, when fan clutch is disengaged have a high pitched ultrasonic sound that can be conducted to it's mount, amplified by the foot well shelf...

Intermittent detection due to fan cycling on or off.

Squeaks, rattles and clunks, CAMO
Wonder if I could put a 1/4" rubber pad between the Cadillac valve and the aluminum body panel if it would quiet things down???

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before going through all the trouble make sure it is the Cadillac valve, the "noise" will change between the fan running and not, you can simply unplug the wires from the valve to activate the fan, if the noise stays the same it is not the valve.

Thumper580

Before going through all the trouble make sure it is the Cadillac valve, the "noise" will change between the fan running and not, you can simply unplug the wires from the valve to activate the fan, if the noise stays the same it is not the valve.
It's not the fan engaging... I know what that sound is. This is a whining sound. Not a serpentine belt sound, either. Slightly higher frequency sound. The Cadillac valve is working OK... Like CAMO said it may be making a high frequency/ultrasonic sound that insulating may help dampen.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the fan engaging... I know what that sound is. This is a whining sound. Not a serpentine belt sound, either. Slightly higher frequency sound. The Cadillac valve is working OK... Like CAMO said it may be making a high frequency/ultrasonic sound that insulating may help dampen.
If the cadillac valve is making noise it will change when the valve turns on the fan, the noise will not stay the same is what I am trying to say.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure your fluid is topped of and give it a little time, it sometimes takes awhile to get all the entrained air out of the fluid.
Does it change when you steer the truck?

Thumper580

Just make sure your fluid is topped of and give it a little time, it sometimes takes awhile to get all the entrained air out of the fluid.
Does it change when you steer the truck?
I'll have to drive it again and pay attention as to where it is or if it changes at all. Right I think it's all the time, but I'll focus on various driving conditions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks