• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up M1009 at a local auction

Greasy

Halftrackkid and I have had an eye on a black M-1009 sitting at a local City maintenance yard. For over a year it sat neglected, gathering dust and spider webs. From what we could gather, the M-1009 had been last used at a local CDC facility as a "CERT" team vehicle. After the State closed the facility, the 09 was slated for auction. Last week Halftrackkid received word the 09 will be started and driven to a local auction to be sold!

Fast forward to yesterday. At 8:30am Halftrackkid and I meet up at the auction yard armed with a multi meter (check alts) and CUCV key. After checking in and receiving a bidders number, we set out looking for the 09. At the end of sale vehicles was a dirty, spider web covered black painted 1986 M-1009. During our initial "Look over" we found a 28,000 mile, REALLY sound, non rusted, overall complete M-1009! I jumped in and turned our key the wait, gen1, oil, water lights light up. The volt gauge and gen2 light did not work (bummer). When I tried to turn her over....no go.... batterys low. After a second closer look, I noticed that the Left front fender and driver's side door have been replaced. The driver's side rear quarter panel has been repaired (bondo). Halftrackkid was thrilled to find all 4 tires are nearly new and none of the seats are torn. Needless to say, we both liked what we saw. At 10:15am the auction started. After a 2 hour wait (seemed like years) the Auctioneer started on vehicles. When the Auctioneer reached the M-1009, the starting bid was $400....Silance....... still silance..... YEP! now $500, YEP! $600, 700, 800, 1000, 1100. Bidding came down to Halftrackkid and one gentalmen. Bidding stalled at $1150, Halftrackkid hit at $1200......the other guy stopped. SOLD $1200!!!!!!!!Halftrackkid won.

The total with taxes and fees out the door.......$1401.00

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Greasy

Today I met up at Halftrakkis's place to fetch the 09. Halftrackkid had already picked up 2 new group 31 batterys and has tools and fluids on-board ready to go! After checking in at the Auction yard office, we head over to the sitting M-1009. I get the hood open, Halftrackkid has the new batterys out and ready. We get the batterys changed. Now the checks....

Oil...check
Coolant....check
Tire pressures....check
Trans fluid....check
Power steering fluid....check
Fuel....check
DOT 5 brake fluid....check

Now we are ready for the $1401 dollar question. I turn the key...watching the "Wait" light.... it clicks out. With 2 revolutions the 6.2 is ALIVE!!!!! no smoke, funny noises, hitting on 8 cylinders and all the dash lights turn out. I let her idle for 15 to 20 minutes walking around looking for anything leaking or smoking (out of the ordinary) With her idling, I apply the brakes, normal pettle travel. So I now try and put the transmission shifter into "D".........She moves!!!!! I drove her around 15 to 20 miles back to Halftrackkid's place. Until I remembered to turn on the "Service lights" I thought the turn signals did not work :(.

This afternoon I pulled off all the extra lights and wiring. Next I removed the added side platforms. I found some paperwork in the glovebox that states it was transferred from Vandenberg AFB to DRMO at Vandenberg AFB.

Future plans include a Rapco tan paint job followed by Desert Storm markings. Next will be changing of all fluids and repack the front wheel bearings.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sounds/looks like ya done good!!:beer:
Our local PD has one just like that and I know the "bomb tech" it's assigned to. He says it gets driven about 200 miles a year, usually just because he wants too.:shock:

Congrats on a good score!:)

Greasy

Update:

Halftrackkid finalized the title transfer and new plates are on their way. When Halftrackkid and I first looked the 09 over at the Auction yard, we both noticed that the Left front fender, left door and the hood have been replaced. The left rear quarter showed signs of body repair (bondo).

Check out what Halftrackkid uncovered!!!! Needless to say we have work to do. On a positive note, we scored a parts Blazer (1976) with a clean left rear quarter panel. It also has a 3" Rancho lift to boot!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks