• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up M813 at Ft.Meade

F18hornetM

Went to Ft Meade yesterday and picked up a 1979 M813 w/w. Was curious as how much trouble it would be since Ive read lots of complaints. But i have to say I dont have a single complaint. Directions onto base were right on the money. Security, through the commercial entrance, although a line at 0700 in the morning, only took about 20 minutes. The officers were very professional and polite. I had no idea what I was doing and just did what they asked. Directions from there to the GL lot was easy.
Got to GL about an hour early for my 0830 appoinment. No problem, signed in and told us to meet Rachel up on the hill. She did a great job of moving the truck out to make it easy for us to load on trailer. She had a loader, with bucket off. Hooked chain to front bumper, lifted and puled out and lined up on trailer. We winched truck up on trailer and off we went. We were gone before the scheduled appointment.
This is my first experience with GL and Ft.meade, but Rachel and everbody I dealt with made it easy.
Pictures aren't that great as it rained all day yesterday. We used the M35 to pull it off the trailer. Truck is good shape body wise. Not a leak under it of any kind. But has stone dead batteries [2 volts] and no brakes of course... parking brake works great though:D So a new project begins
Pictures are in backwards order

Attachments

F18hornetM

Thanks, I didn't preview the truck, which I would recommend if possible. But have to say only a couple things I couldnt tell from pictures. Front edge of cab top, stitching has came apart. and the only rusty place is right along the front edge of the hood. All very repairable. Will replace batteries today and see what happens. Even if you pre-viewed it not sure you could tell much about an engine that doesnt run, other than all the parts there. As far as brakes, with a preview you could tell if no pedal, this is super spongy, but havent had a chance to check out yet. Although dont see any brake fluid anywhere on the wheels or under truck. Will get to that after get it running.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice 813. You will have a blast driving her. I know I have one with my M814- I fact I think I will drive her to work tonight.

marine0369

Transportation Company

Good to know information. I have two vehicles loacted at Ft. Meade, just awaiting EUC approval. What transport company did you use..... I'm looking for one that comes recommended. My vehicles are heading to Florida.

To anyone else out there who may help......generally speaking for those that have picked up vehicles in the past do you take batteries with you or is there somone local who provides this type of service, jump, change a flat, loading, etc.

My first purchase, thanks in advance.

F18hornetM

Marine0369, I didnt take anything but a tractor trailer to load it on.The tow Co. I used is from the Eastern shore of Md, Hastings towing. Not sure if they would haul to Florida or not. I really dont think even if it runs, would i feel real comfortable driving it away under its own power. There are a million things that can be wrong, mostly form siting around. Especially as far as Florida. But having said that, seems like alot of guys do drive them away, just not me. Good luck with your new toys

F18hornetM

Update:

Put 2 new group 31 batteries in and hit the switch...runs like a champ. Good oil pressure, Compressor pumped up and shut off, Alt charging and let it run untill almost operating temp. even have 3/4 tank of fuel and yes i stuck it to be sure... Of course you know I had to drive down the road and back even with half a$$ brakes... Shifted through all the gears, well below speed, just to make sure all worked. hi and low transfer works fine. Steeringa nd all seems good, although didnt go fast enough to tell much about ride, nothing seemed to pull or shake to much.
First shake down cruise. Just figuring out what it needs. Although it has brakes, i dont like them, Note enough pedal, and doesnt feel right. That will be the next issue worked on after making a permanent hold down for the new grp 31 batteries. Figure out whats wrong with the brakes, then pull all the wheels and look at everything, pack bearings etc. The group 31 batteries fit great. Will have to modify the bottom of the box and make a new hold down bracket, otherwise great.

marine0369

F18hornetM,

Thanks for the useful advice. I didn't plan on driving it to Florida as I'd like to do the PM first and see what awaits me. Do you have a good source on group 31 batteries? I know its something Ill be needing. Thanks again.

F18hornetM

Great thinking on the truck PMs..
as far as the batteries, I get them as take outs. Often times on road calls, we have to change batteries, to get the unit going, when one or sometimes two batteries are dead, but still good. Just dead and no time to recharge. Grp 31 is very popular in almost all trucks today. Price around and see who has the best price.

dburt

I'm glad you hit a home run on that truck especially since you could not check it out first. I always have a policy to check something out in person before I bid on it. When I have violated my rule, I have been bitten hard several times.:( But sometimes you do get lucky! Nice truck!!:)

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I'm like you I never buy something without seeing it. Except this time. I was most concerned about the motor being blown up or stuck, everything else didnt worry me to much. Ive worked on trucks for 30 years for a living, so the mechanical end doesnt worry me to much. I just didnt want to have to pay for overhaul parts or find a replacement motor.
I also paid a little over scrap value for it as well, so was a calculated risk. I've bid on several, but because I couldnt preview them I stayed around scrap price, roughly. Having said that, I'm like you, would definately recommend pre-viewing if possible.

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meade pickup

Great thinking on the truck PMs..
as far as the batteries, I get them as take outs. Often times on road calls, we have to change batteries, to get the unit going, when one or sometimes two batteries are dead, but still good. Just dead and no time to recharge. Grp 31 is very popular in almost all trucks today. Price around and see who has the best price.
F18 hornetM I picked my truck up a few hrs behind you at Meade. I put 4 gr 31 batteries in mine. Got it running with some work on the fuel cut off. Need to repair the shut down solenoid now. How does your truck start in the cold with just two batteries?

F18hornetM

Oh thats cool, just missed you I guess.
I was also going to put 4 grp 31's in. Then got thinking all our trucks at work, CAT C7's, Maxforce internationals/DT466s, etc, all have only 2 grp 31's, so i thought i would try it. I have no idea when the truck was last started, the batteries in it were dead beyond charging back up. Hooked up the 2 new batteries and it started without even cranking much at all. Didnt even have to pump hand primer or anything. The truck was cold, and I think temp was in 40's last night roughly when we started it. Not sure about really cold, will have to try one morning when its the coldest. If I find 2 wont do, I'll just add 2 more. But really cant think why 2 wouldnt do it. Lucky so far, cant find anything the engine needs besides servicing. dry as a bone, new belts. One thing I noticed what ever monkey replaced the starter, lost the 12 point bolts and replaced 2 of them with 6 point bolts one of which he didnt tighten up..but so far so good. Good luck with yours

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh thats cool, just missed you I guess.
I was also going to put 4 grp 31's in. Then got thinking all our trucks at work, CAT C7's, Maxforce internationals/DT466s, etc, all have only 2 grp 31's, so i thought i would try it. I have no idea when the truck was last started, the batteries in it were dead beyond charging back up. Hooked up the 2 new batteries and it started without even cranking much at all. Didnt even have to pump hand primer or anything. The truck was cold, and I think temp was in 40's last night roughly when we started it. Not sure about really cold, will have to try one morning when its the coldest. If I find 2 wont do, I'll just add 2 more. But really cant think why 2 wouldnt do it. Lucky so far, cant find anything the engine needs besides servicing. dry as a bone, new belts. One thing I noticed what ever monkey replaced the starter, lost the 12 point bolts and replaced 2 of them with 6 point bolts one of which he didnt tighten up..but so far so good. Good luck with yours

I may put two of the batteries in another truck and see how it does. Check your hose clamps all my coolant hose clamps were loose and the radiator hose was leaking badly after it warmed up. I already put a new top on ,head lamps , repaired the mirror and a few small things.

F18hornetM

Thanks AndyC, good for you making progress. i didnt do much on it tonight, but did check the brake fluid, its is dot5..did the little test just to be sure,and looks good in mastercylinder, not dirty or cloudy..did bleed master cyl and air pac, no air. so far so good. Will get to the wheel cylinders this weekend. Still have lots of cosmetic things, get top, front strip sewed bacl together, couple lights out and of course paint later, but wont work on any of those things untill got all the important stuff done.
I ran it somemore tonight and not a drop of anything..much better than I expected. I started it on the 2 grp 31's again, and it was about 40, so not real cold. Will try one morning when real cold..
here is a couple of pictures of the M35A2 and M813 parked next to each other. Does show the difference in size. By spring the 813 will be identical in color to the M35

Attachments

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks andyc, good for you making progress. I didnt do much on it tonight, but did check the brake fluid, its is dot5..did the little test just to be sure,and looks good in mastercylinder, not dirty or cloudy..did bleed master cyl and air pac, no air. So far so good. Will get to the wheel cylinders this weekend. Still have lots of cosmetic things, get top, front strip sewed bacl together, couple lights out and of course paint later, but wont work on any of those things untill got all the important stuff done.
I ran it somemore tonight and not a drop of anything..much better than i expected. I started it on the 2 grp 31's again, and it was about 40, so not real cold. Will try one morning when real cold..
Here is a couple of pictures of the m35a2 and m813 parked next to each other. Does show the difference in size. By spring the 813 will be identical in color to the m35
lookin good