• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up M813 at Ft.Meade

F18hornetM

Got Napa to deliver some Dot 5 today..hi $ stuff, was almost $28 for a Qt.. will not waste that stuff for sure.
Went out and started it again tonight, was 30 degrees, been sitting since last night. On 2 grp 31's. didnt prime or anything, cranked for 6 seconds..i counted, and fired right up..so far so good on the 2 grp 31's. And the 2 that i have are 2006's, as i said they are take outs [used]

hilber

F18 hornetM I picked my truck up a few hrs behind you at Meade. I put 4 gr 31 batteries in mine. Got it running with some work on the fuel cut off. Need to repair the shut down solenoid now. How does your truck start in the cold with just two batteries?
Congratulations on the new truck

F18hornetM

Oh wow your right. TNJ is $48 a gallon, Napa is about $100 for a gallon, compared to about $90 for 5 gallons of dot 3...I go right by there once a month and have bought a couple of things from them. thanks DieselBob.

F18hornetM

Update on brakes:

Finally got around to checking on the no/little brake pedal issue. Master cylinder was full with no signs of leaks anywhere. So bled master cyl and booster, no air. pedal the same. Went to wheel cylinders and bled, only got a small amount of air out from 2 wheel cylinders. Made all the difference in the world. Nice pedal now, and will stop on a dime. The cool thing is, it has all new wheel cylinders. Bleeders opend right up, not rusty or anything. master cylinder also looks to have been replaced. so far so good.
My point here is, it only takes a very small amount of air to have a terriable pedal. test drove a dozen times up and down drive, at first brakes very touchy, but i suspect after sitting for who knows how long drums may have been little rusty. After several high speed trips down drive way, much better now. Now if just get SF97 will take out on back road and use the brakes a bunch. Still need to pull the wheels and pack bearings and inspect, but so far so good. Thing will fly.
Also, still using just 2 grp 31 batteries. Was 28 degrees here the other day and it cranked for maybe 5 seconds and started, no issues so far. Not sure I will ever add the other 2.

camp9

I just bought M813 at McCoy this week, so your threads been appreciated here. I think you'll be just fine with two batteries, I've owned several trucks with 400 cummins and only had 2 batteries in them. If it got real cold, like 10f or colder I'd just plug it in for a little bit.

F18hornetM

I thought the same thing about the 2 grp 31's. I work at a fleet and all our trucks have just 2 batteries.
so today Made new battery hold downs, since original ones wont fit the grp 31's. Adjusted all the brakes and found 2 way out. Like half a turn out.
Beat the dented up exhaust stack out where some monkey used a hammer to put it on..right on the top.
Did notice both front boots leaking beautiful red grease. no oil, but can now see where both are tore. Havent looked on line yet to see who has them or the Tms for replacing. Buts icne i need tp pull the wheels anyway, that would be perfect time.

DieselBob

Here's two vendors.

Front Axle Boot For 5 Ton Truck (no zipper), M54, M809, M939, 8758273

Boot,front axle (none zipper) | 5 Ton | Military Vehicles For Sale | Military Trucks For Sale | M35 A2 | 5 Ton | M151 A1 A2 | Surplus Parts - TNJ Murray

Murray list as NOS. Might be a concern if to old as the rubber might already be starting to brake down. They also don't list origin. I have had very good service from Erik's the couple times I have ordered from him. He list's boots as USA origin but not sure about production date.

F18hornetM

Today took the cab top to the trim shop. Great shape top except the whole front edge where it hooks on windshield frame had threads rotted away. Normal trim shop we use couldnt sew because plastic strip was to thick. So took to boat canvas and awing place down the street. About 15 minutes and $20 later, done!!!
Hope this weekend to straighten both ends of the front bumper and grind away all the monkey welding.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Great deal on the repair. Mine let loose last winter while I was cruising down RT50. I'll tell you that the sudden noise and that cold wind storm will wake you right up. :oops: Been working out your way yesterday and today there near the inlet.

F18hornetM

Ha Ha, yes it did let alot of air in.
Oh cool working down here. Rained yesterday half a day, but not been bad cold and sun shining today. What are you working on down here?

DieselBob

I did notice it seemed you had much more rain over there than I did on this side. Working on a printer at a bank there on Philadelphia Ave. a couple blocks from the RT50 bridge.

F18hornetM

Hey thats cool, yeah it poured Thursday morning, then cleared. Left about noon and went to Joppa, bought wife another truck for her business. Thats one long ride

F18hornetM

Update:
Got my SF97 and Florida title today in mail

Ok from winning at auction on Dec15th, 2011, picked up truck on Jan 17th, got SF97 on Feb 11th. So about 2 months from auction to having SF97 in hand. Not bad at all from the horror stories Ive read, guess lucky. Will go this week and get tags.
I dont know if any of you guys in Md have used a private tagging company, but i like it better. Make an appointment, they fill out forms and Im done. It cost and extra $30, but no waiting in line, no grouchy smart a$$ employees, as they want my business. And they really try to get stuff titled and taged becuase they dont get paid if they dont. Just a thought.
So tags this week, but still wont drive more than around home as need to pull wheels. Think will work on front bumper today, will take some pics. One end is bent way back, the other end was bent and welded, but i will cut loose and straighten.

F18hornetM

Battery update.

Well the 2 grp 31's wouldnt crank it at 28 degrees with wind chill of 15. Even with M35 hooked to it, only crank and no start. used cold heat start, as outlined on dash;-) and fired right up, wow that works..[thumbzup]
so guess it will get 4 grp 31's then. oh well i tried the 2 route

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery update.

Well the 2 grp 31's wouldnt crank it at 28 degrees with wind chill of 15. Even with M35 hooked to it, only crank and no start. used cold heat start, as outlined on dash;-) and fired right up, wow that works..[thumbzup]
so guess it will get 4 grp 31's then. oh well i tried the 2 route
Looks like I may leave the 4 in mine. Replaced the fuel shut down solenoid and manual fuel valve. The manual valve was worn out due to the shut down solenoid being inop. Need to replace the o-rings in primer pump next.

Attachments

F18hornetM

Well got my tags today, so from winning at GL to taged, almost 2 months to the day..awesome. Now that I have used up all my luck with the government and GL, I'm done. These 2 are enough play toys for me. ;-)