• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first Deuce!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck.! I hope you don't need it for hurricane response. I've always wanted to make a trip to Eglin, but haven't bid high enough yet on the auctions.

TheOxman

Very nice truck.! I hope you don't need it for hurricane response. I've always wanted to make a trip to Eglin, but haven't bid high enough yet on the auctions.
If you see something you like and need it looked at, let me know. I work on Eglin, so it's literally a 5 minute drive from my office.

Scarecrow1

Well at least you know what its like to have a blow out now :p I know what you were thinking to ,,,,of all the tires why was it the one on a single ,,why not the rear with a least a way to hop along to a gas station ...Well the Deuce Gods wanted you to learn to pretrip and prepare a little better in the future...:p.... Enjoy and good luck

TheOxman

Well at least you know what its like to have a blow out now :p I know what you were thinking to ,,,,of all the tires why was it the one on a single ,,why not the rear with a least a way to hop along to a gas station ...Well the Deuce Gods wanted you to learn to pretrip and prepare a little better in the future...:p.... Enjoy and good luck
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was NOT happy. I'm buying the air tools I need to do the work on my own tonight, and I've been looking up old threads on the forum on how to use the air compressor in my deuce to run air tools on the road... And I think I just found what I need! :)

Lawrence of Arabia

Congrats. Hope you enjoy. I hated these trucks when I was enlisted and once I found out I could buy one, I just had to have one.

Just curious if you have driven it on to your Military base? If so do the MP's or any higher ranking Officers raise an eyebrow? Are there any Deuces still in service on your base? Just wonder how the military deals with former Military vehicles tooling around on base.

TheOxman

Congrats. Hope you enjoy. I hated these trucks when I was enlisted and once I found out I could buy one, I just had to have one.

Just curious if you have driven it on to your Military base? If so do the MP's or any higher ranking Officers raise an eyebrow? Are there any Deuces still in service on your base? Just wonder how the military deals with former Military vehicles tooling around on base.
I drove it off the base when I left, but that's about it. I will be driving it on base probably once or twice a month just put some miles on it and I don't see any issues. We don't really have many older deuces driving around Eglin, although they are here from time to time. I'm still waiting on my SF97 so I can register it and put plates on it, so people would probably see me driving it on base and assume I was in civvies driving a government vehicle... That might cause some problems.

TIGERFANS2

4) Fix fuel gauge. Truck hold 50 gallons. Gauge showed less than 1/4 tank. Filled it up until the tank was as full as it could be and it only took 25 gallons. I turned the truck back on and the gauge only read 3/4.

!
Sounds about right :wink:
at least that's what mine reads

AF 32470 (2POX?) 68-78

TIGERFANS2

Trip 1: Show ID, proceed through gate.
Trip 2: If same gate guard answer question: "Where's the big truck today?"

1956_4x4

I drove it off the base when I left, but that's about it. I will be driving it on base probably once or twice a month just put some miles on it and I don't see any issues. We don't really have many older deuces driving around Eglin, although they are here from time to time. I'm still waiting on my SF97 so I can register it and put plates on it, so people would probably see me driving it on base and assume I was in civvies driving a government vehicle... That might cause some problems.
I take my 1031 on both Eglin and Hurlburt. There has never been an issue.

Smitty

jimm1009

Welcome aboard

You can acquire the correct color paint from Rapco in the Dallas area.
He will come up in a Google search under Rapco Parts and he also has a good sized add in Military Vehicles Magazine in case you have one.
The paint that he sells is a CARC substitue and can be purchased in individual spray cans or in gallons too.
I purchased a 4 gallon kit for my CUCV as I am going to soda blast the exterior and prime and repaint.
I will probably do the M35A2C too but that is two or three years down the road.
Good save on the truck. You probably got a good truck for the price if the winch is serviceable too.
Brakes and wheel bearings are the #1 on most owners lists for good reason.
Keep us informed on your progress and start thinking about your fall trip to the Georgia Ralley or perhaps the one in Florida.
It's really great to drive your truck to the ralley and mingle with the other members afflicted with the same O.D. Green disease for which there is NO cure. :-D
I don't know if Florida is one of the states that will allow you to register your truck without actuall having a license plate but it is worth looking in to.
jimm1009

sandcobra164

For what it's worth, mine is registered on MCLB Albany now with a DOD decal and all. Drove on the base with no problem before it was registered but you never know when you'll meet super cop and get turned away trying to go to work. The registration process went smooth until the Pass and ID clerk walked out the door to put the sticker on the windshield. He seemed to think that the vehicle did not need to be registered but then again, I'd just gotten the run around at the tag office so I was prepared for anything. I got the sticker and possibly got another person interested in military surplus!!!!!!!!

TheOxman

Ah this weekend was such a pain. My goal was to change the three fuel filters, the oil, the two oil filters, the air filter, and the coolant.

I changed the air filter first. It was super easy. I was pretty happy. Then I drained the oil. Lots of oil. Easy. Then I started on the primary fuel filter. That thing was such a pain to get to and get out. I finally did it. Then I couldn't get the fuel lines back on. AT ALL. I think one of the nuts was stripped or something. I ended up having to use a rubber hose to connect the two fuel lines, effectively bypassing the primary fuel filter. I don't plan on driving it like this, I just needed to move the truck. I noticed part of the fuel line was kinked, so I plan on ordering a new fuel line.

Then I moved on to the oil filters. The square drain plug was very hard to get to with any larger tools and was painted on. I couldn't get it out, so I just changed the filters without draining the oil from them. What a mess. It worked, but a huge mess. I then refilled the crank case with oil.
I then started the truck, and one of the oil filter containers was leaking real bad. I guess I didn't get a good seal on it. I fixed it. Everything seems to be working very good. Never got around to the coolant change or secondary and final fuel filters.

Next time I go to work on this truck, I need to set smaller goals! I'm so new to working on vehicles, I figured everything would be super quick and easy. The TO makes it look easier than it is.

Also, I finished painting all the rims. They look very nice! I also lubricated all the grease fittings.

So, here is my current list of goals and jobs for the truck:

1) Fix the driver's side windshield wiper system. The main air line is working because the passenger side windshield wiper is working, but the driver's side is not. I believe the air line to the driver's side is clogged. I found a source for vacuum motors. New, original motors are $80. I found a place selling replacement motors for $14... Odd.

2) New windshield wipers for both sides. I found a model that can be purchased at normal auto stores.

3) Seal cab. Water from rain and big puddles can get in the cab fairly easily. Need to fix that. The driver's side window seal looks especially worn.

4) Change coolant.

5) Change secondary and final fuel filters.

6) New spare tire. These tires have tubes. The tire itself seems fine, so the tube is probably gone. $30ish.

7) Install a tool trunk in the bed. I bought a 1" impact wrench, 1" socket set, 3/4" breaker bar, 3/4" deep well socket set, and a giant adjustable wrench. I'd like to secure a tool box in the bed of the truck, near the cab, so I can keep these tools on board.

(8) Purchase a glad hand and install it on the back of the truck. This will allow me to use the truck's air compressor to power air tools when out on the road. That means that 1" impact gun can be used if I get another flat on the interstate!

9) 1/2" air hose to use with the 1" impact wrench.

10) Buy the original pick, axe, and shovel for the pioneer tool kit. The pioneer tool kit mounts right above the spare tire. Modern tools can't be used as they are generally made outside of the US and not to the right specs as far as length, width, etc. I've found a guy who sells genuine replicas made to fit.

11) Apply anti-seize lubricant to all lug nuts. I'll have to break the lug nuts on each wheel and apply this. Should help if I get another flat.

12) Install a class 3 or higher trailer hitch on the truck. I have found a few places that sell class 3 or higher trailer hitches that mount directly to the frame of the deuce with no drilling or cutting. Less than $300. This will allow to me to tow the boat.

13) MAYBE install a muffler... I have found mufflers that can be installed that will keep the truck sounding the same on the outside by slightly more quiet on the inside.

14) Install a heater in the cab. I've got some good leads from some threads I've read and it shouldn't cost more than $100 or so. It's been cold in FL lately and it'll help with the windows.

15) Mount a vice to the front bumper. I was thinking of mounting a solid plate to the front bumper, and then mounting a vice to it. It would definitely making working on parts a lot easier, especially on the road.

stumps

7) Install a tool trunk in the bed. I bought a 1" impact wrench, 1" socket set, 3/4" breaker bar, 3/4" deep well socket set, and a giant adjustable wrench. I'd like to secure a tool box in the bed of the truck, near the cab, so I can keep these tools on board.

(8) Purchase a glad hand and install it on the back of the truck. This will allow me to use the truck's air compressor to power air tools when out on the road. That means that 1" impact gun can be used if I get another flat on the interstate!

9) 1/2" air hose to use with the 1" impact wrench.
You won't be happy with the on board air system and your impact wrench. There is barely enough air available to bring the tires up from 15PSI to 55PSI in an hour.

Some use pony tanks charged up to use impact tools, but I can see it taking a long time to refill the pony tank after each lug nut.

What I would suggest is what was suggested to me by others: Get a geared lug wrench. That will get you out of a pickle on the side of the road, and will take much less time to change a tire than will a deuce air system with pony tanks and an impact wrench.

-Chuck

TheOxman

You won't be happy with the on board air system and your impact wrench. There is barely enough air available to bring the tires up from 15PSI to 55PSI in an hour.

Some use pony tanks charged up to use impact tools, but I can see it taking a long time to refill the pony tank after each lug nut.

What I would suggest is what was suggested to me by others: Get a geared lug wrench. That will get you out of a pickle on the side of the road, and will take much less time to change a tire than will a deuce air system with pony tanks and an impact wrench.

-Chuck
Do you have a source for a good geared lug wrench? The only I can find is the one on Amazon that is 32:1, but it looks a little small.

stumps

Do you have a source for a good geared lug wrench? The only I can find is the one on Amazon that is 32:1, but it looks a little small.
After talking to some of the guys on the group, I went to ebay and searched: M35 lug wrench. In that search were some local wrenches for about $150 shipped and a guy in Austria that sold brand new in cosmolene for $55 + $55 shipping to the US. His wrenches were missing the small handle (rod), but that is the same one that comes with the regular non geared lug wrench, so it didn't matter to me.

I know that $100+ seems expensive for a lug wrench, but these things are massive, and beautifully made. And most importantly, they make the job of breaking the nuts loose easy. Also, they hold the square budd nut still, and turn the outer nut against the inner budd nut. That prevents the ever annoying situation where the outer nut tries to take off the inner budd nut.

OBTW, cosmolene is just a petroleum distillate that is somewhere between vasoline and paraffin wax. Heat it up to 160F, or so, and it melts and will come running off the wrench. When it is hot, it can be wiped clean with a rag.

It's about as flammable as molten candle wax, so no flames please! And it is like working with hot grease, so don't burn yourself!

-Chuck

TheOxman

After talking to some of the guys on the group, I went to ebay and searched: M35 lug wrench. In that search were some local wrenches for about $150 shipped and a guy in Austria that sold brand new in cosmolene for $55 + $55 shipping to the US. His wrenches were missing the small handle (rod), but that is the same one that comes with the regular non geared lug wrench, so it didn't matter to me.

I know that $100+ seems expensive for a lug wrench, but these things are massive, and beautifully made. And most importantly, they make the job of breaking the nuts loose easy. Also, they hold the square budd nut still, and turn the outer nut against the inner budd nut. That prevents the ever annoying situation where the outer nut tries to take off the inner budd nut.

OBTW, cosmolene is just a petroleum distillate that is somewhere between vasoline and paraffin wax. Heat it up to 160F, or so, and it melts and will come running off the wrench. When it is hot, it can be wiped clean with a rag.

It's about as flammable as molten candle wax, so no flames please! And it is like working with hot grease, so don't burn yourself!

-Chuck
Thanks for the info. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to check eBay when I get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks