• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first M1009

Jersey 93 Ty

I recieved my paid invoice last week for the 2 M1009's that I won in early December, and spent most of Tuesday picking up the first one. I headed down to Lakehurst in the morning and picked up an out-of-work friend who lives 10 miles off post on my way there. The temperature was about 38 degrees and just before I got onto the post a light hail started to fall. I had a minor snafu when the visitor's center hadn't gotten any paperwork with my name on it, but Chris from GL was able to get Wayne from the NJ Nat'l Guard to come and collect me within only a couple of minutes.

We found the '09 quickly, especially considering that they really are just about out of CUCV's at this location. I think there were less than a half dozen that weren't spoken for yet. One of the tires was completely flat, so Wayne helped out by letting me borrow his compressor. That probably saved me an hour over using the tiny "plug into your lighter socket" inflator that I had brought with me. Once I had pumped them up, all 5 tires seemed to hold air just fine. The next thing I noticed was that the rear window was rolled down, as I had seen in the GL auction, and I didn't realize I needed to pop the key into the lock to crank it up. What I didn't notice in the GL pics was the fact that the window in the driver's door was broken, so driving in this thing was going to be cold. I popped the hood and immediately noticed that both batteries had been removed. I had brought a pair of charged up batteries with me, so I bolted them in place rather quickly. I checked the oil, coolant, and trans fluid, all of which were at the right levels. After that I hopped in the driver's seat an turned the key to see all the proper lights turn on. The voltmeter didn't budge, but once the Wait light turned off I turned the key and she started on the first try. The fuel guage even showed that I had a full tank. I took a couple of laps about the parking lot, and she sounded even better after she wamed up a bit. I flipped on the Service lights switch and found out that all of the bulbs worked too. I was a very happy guy.

Considering the weather, I drove the '09 off post and about 10 miles to my friend's house while he followed in my daily driver. That was enough to freeze me solid, so I called AAA and had them flatbed the truck up to my father's house, where the truck will sit until I get my SF-97 and some plates.

Quick list of what I'll need to fix in the next few months:

- Driver's door window obviously needs replacing.
- Voltmeter doesn't work.
- I don't think the heater was working at all, but I'll look into that.
- The trans seems questionable to me. When it was cold, I really had to convince it to start moving forward. Once I got it rolling though, everything was fine. It would also start moving easily in reverse right away.
- The indicator needle on the PRND21 segment let go with a cartoon style "BOING" sound and sprung to the left just as I left the parking lot. Not a big deal.
- The tailgate seems to be stuck closed on the passenger side, and the exterior handle needs to be replaced.
- The passenger door and fender are a little too close for comfort, so opening or closing the door doesn't quite work as it should.

- Seperately, I need to get a new digital camera, since my 4 year old one died after only taking 1 picture of the '09.

And since I've been on enough forums to know what people are looking for.... I've attached some of the GL auction pics for your viewing pleasure. What you see is what I got. I'll try to get some better pictures of this truck this weekend and of my other '09 when I pick that up next week from Picatinny.

Attachments

mistaken1

Glad to hear you got it off base okay.

I too have to go get my first M1009. I am still debating on a 350 mile drive or using a trailer (if I can borrow it).

OLDCHEV4X4

Congrats. It looks like Lakehurst is near the beach. Sand and dune grass.
Its good have unemployed friends.....For you anyway, not for them.
And the things that need fixing arn't major so by the time you get the SF-97 you will be ready for some 4x4 action.

Jersey 93 Ty

Lakehurst is pretty close to the beach... they consider wet sand to be solid ground down there. Its also the location where the Hindenberg crashed, and I passed the tiny marker for the crash site on my way in and out of the base. I really am very happy with how well everything worked out with the truck. I was absolutely sure that I would be using the Reese towbar that I adapted by copying what others here on the forum have already down.

Jersey 93 Ty

... and now I'll have something else to pick up a while down the line. I just won a M101A1 trailer down in Bordentown. I'm guessing I'll still be waiting for the 1009's SF97's when its time for me to pick up the 101, so it will probably have to get towed home with my Civvy truck. What the heck have I gotten myself into?

84cucv1ton

guy i work with a while back bid on that truck, he showed me that one. in the end. he bought a different one

good luck with it

Mike_Pop

Congrats on the M1009! Let me know if you need any help at Bordentown. I occasionally live about three miles from there.

By the way, Lakehurst is about twenty miles from the beach and is actually in the Pine Barrens. The grass and sugar sand is typical of the Pines.

MP

Jersey 93 Ty

You are correct. I was thinking of another location in South Jersey. Everytime I actually drive all the way to the bottom half of the state, I always feel like I'm close to the beach. I grew up in Middlesex County (all clay soil) and now live up in the mountains in Union County, so that sandy soil always throws me off.

Mike_Pop

I usually stay in southern Monmouth County or near Bordentown when I am in NJ. Next time you are in this area, give me a shout. I've had my M1009 for a couple years now and I have been quite pleased with it.

Jersey 93 Ty

I picked up my 2nd M1009 on Wednesday at Picatinny, with slightly less success this time. The batteries were both dead on this truck, although I'm hoping that one of them just needs a good charge. I wasn't able to get it even cranking on location, so I needed to bust out my modified Reese towbar that I built based on information I found on Steel Soldiers. My 5 cylinder Canyon was able to drag the truck off the snow and ice covered flightline and all the way home with no real problems.

So far I still haven't gotten the '09 started, but I was able to get her to crank. I'll be spending some more quality time with the truck this weekend to see what the problem is.

Attachments