• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my M1010. Road trip pics!

WARWAG

Those pictures were taken at a rest stop just inside Arizona on I10. What a beautiful place to rest.

Here are the other pictures taken that night. I needed to unload the M1010 off of the trailer so I could get her back to Phoenix early this morning as well as the rental truck.

20161004_190842_resized_1.jpg20161004_190858_resized_1.jpg20161004_190848_resized_1.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on a successful recovery. Any surprises with this truck? Any treats in the boxes under the litters?

WARWAG

As you can see I had to drop the rear drive shaft. It was bent from the guys using a fork lift to unload her at the place I picked her up from. The good news is that the drive shaft is all that was damaged. I had them load her on with the same fork lift as I couldn't winch her up. No keys and I did not feel like pulling the tumbler. The truck is in really good shape with the exception of a few items. I will list those below as I know of to date.

1. Bent drive shaft
2. The hood is great except the mice had a nest inside the hood by the latch. Its rusted out completely from there urine. So I have to replace the hood. No other rust anywhere else!
3. DUVAC system was already pulled (Thats a good thing) I was going to pull it anyway.
4. Original box A/C gone. Wires cut and hoses messed up.
5. Throttle cable connector broke. Found a new one at the junk yard today as I was looking for a drive shaft.
6. No batteries.
7. Interior is a disaster. Someone left the window open for YEARS. Every nook and cranny is stuffed full of fine dust. I have my work cut out for me. Plus bird **** and some mouse crap.
8. Dash is missing a lot of stuff. There are some cables I have no idea what they went to. I will take pics of them in the morning.
9. Passenger side ambulance rear door was bowed at the bottom. It would not latch on the bottom. (That was a quick fix-DONE)

20161005_081351_resized_1.jpg20161005_155720_resized.jpg20161005_081337_resized_1.jpg20161005_081326_resized_1.jpg20161005_081316_resized_1.jpg
Good luck charm? Yup its a rabbits foot.

WARWAG

My plans are to get her running first. I will have the throttle cable replaced tomorrow and then start to work on "Plan B" 12/24 volt conversion. Dog Head relay mod and a couple of new batteries should see her up and running shortly. Need to get the drive shaft. I will have more time in the morning looking for a replacement at the junk yard. That and some new U Joints should have her driving around. I also have a line on a A/C cover for the front of the box. Need to get to work on that deal as well. I will start a separate build thread. For now you all (the pronounced Y'all) are up to date

WARWAG

Congrats on a successful recovery. Any surprises with this truck? Any treats in the boxes under the litters?
The rear box is brand new looking! Little dust and bird droppings in there. No dents or dings. Some one lightly spray painted (Team Spartans) inside in black paint. No big deal since Im going to paint the inside anyway. Will get a better look under the litter boxes in the morning. I will report back here as to what I find with pics.

cucvrus

You can get a new drive shaft or re-tube the old one. That may be the quickest fix. Finding one at a scrap yard may be tough. I have taken a few M1010's apart and used them for plow trucks. The ones I had were in about the same shape you are showing but the wires were cut and melted on a few. I used a wiring harness from a donor M1009 and converted the entire truck to the dual AC Delco alternators from the M1009. Most of the M1009's I cannibalized were beyond repair and they were completely used up and I never wasted any parts from them. The last M1010 we tore apart a few years back was a barn find and it was like new with the exception of round bails being stacked on the hood and the electrical system being problematic. I will be honest I had a guy that wanted the cab chassis and he and a few guys tore into it and had it from found in barn and bought as scrap to a cab chassis in about 2 weeks. But good luck with your find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks