• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up The MEP-002 last weekend

simpleserf

Just figured I would say hello, though i have been a lurker here for some time. I just picked up an MEP-002 this past weekend, and am looking forward to putting it to work. The unit is on a M116A2 trailer and should make a good backup unit for the house as well as a good portable/3phase source for my shop. I was going to go with a J series Onan, but after seeing the how these are built, I'm hooked.

Paul

Triple Jim

That's pretty much where I am too, Paul. My "new" MEP is a pleasure to run, compared to what I've had to use before. My neighbors should be glad I got it too, because it'll be years before we have an outage, now that I'm prepared.

epitts

We have had two outages since I got my MEP-002 a few months ago. Now I have the plugs and wire to hook it up to the house. Pin and sleeve conectors cost mucho bucks.

Triple Jim

I think I'd spend the money on a transfer switch and hardwire the generator to it, before I'd spend the money for the pin and sleeve setup. It's easy enough to take the wires loose at the generator end if needed. No question that those connectors are first-class though.

simpleserf

Yeah, Pin and sleeve can be expensive, though I have a set that was scrapped from work sitting around somewhere...

We bought this house a year ago, and It has a ITE pushmatic box that has many many issues. I am having it changed out this fall, and when I do, a 200A transfer switch is going in.

Triple Jim

It's always good when you can get the stuff that's thrown away. I used to work at a place that had a great dumpster. I'd dive right in.

DeucesWild11

I think I am going to get one at some point as well for backup to my house. I see the two common models are the 002 & 003. I know the 003 puts out a little more power but is it worth the extra $$? How much extra would you pay between models? I have seen around $500 difference.

Thanks!

Triple Jim

The MEP-003A is rated conservatively at 10 kW, twice that of the MEP-002A. Fuel consumption is also double. I got an MEP-003A because I wanted to be able to run the whole house without load shedding, and we don't have outages very often, so fuel consumption isn't a big factor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks