• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking Up a New Addition - Want Opinions

EmeryAndCompany

Taking a two hour drive to inspect and hopefully purchase this 1990 M923. Any red flags pop out at anyone? 449DAF87-B442-4D44-8319-F134752F485D.jpeg

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Rust is starting, plan on keeping it under cover in Florida or the truck will get very rusty.

EmeryAndCompany

No history with the vehicle. My current 1984 923 is in better shape regarding rust... there are two chronic areas of rust on the cab and a few other bad spots on the fenders. 21,000 miles. Hard Start, has to crank over for 20-30 seconds before it fires up.
they are asking $13,000, I’ll pass. It was worth looking at though. What do you think of the price tag?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am SOOO biased but you asked.
if She is not an AirForce multifuel dueal brake system with a stick shift W/W than I wouldn't buy it even rust free.
I am Operator. I no time left to fix stuff, I just want to drive/use Her. Corrosion not a problem. Trucks are for my enjoyment and most anything will outlive me.

dmetalmiki

Looks a nice enough truck.
I would have one, but I don't like the electronics all over the place.
The price seems a little high, I could get a mint one over here for less money actually.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
By 1980 fewer soldiers knew how to shift manual transmissions and heavy-duty automatic transmissions had matured so the M809's manual was replaced with an Allison MT654CR 5-speed automatic. This is easier to drive, shifts better, and has less shock to the chassis than a manual transmission.

The M809 had an unusual 2-speed transfer case that engaged the front axle automatically, a more modern and conventional model was used. It could shift between low and high ranges while moving. In the low range the front axle is automatically engaged, in the high range the driver controls it.[10]

The M809 series used Rockwell-Standard double-reduction axles with a 6.44:1 ratio. New production M939A2 use a similar Meritor model, also with a 6.44:1 ratio. Steering boxes and some other components have also changed. Entire components are interchangeable but the component parts are different.

and she be a PIA to maintain. Gee, One needs 12 guys in your motorpool, and access to all GI parts inventory for free

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No history with the vehicle. My current 1984 923 is in better shape regarding rust... there are two chronic areas of rust on the cab and a few other bad spots on the fenders. 21,000 miles. Hard Start, has to crank over for 20-30 seconds before it fires up.
they are asking $13,000, I’ll pass. It was worth looking at though. What do you think of the price tag?
Rust is a big deal to me.

Price seems a bit high, by $3-$4k or possibly more depending on just how bad the rust is. (And this takes into account that the mv truck market is somewhat inflated right now)

The long cranking time is probably just due to losing prime. Something I'd consider a fairly minor issue.

HDN

I agree with the price comments. I've seen trucks on Facebook in better condition go for cheaper. The seller seems very optimistic about the price. It's not a nice FMTV lol

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always been a huge fan of the 939 series trucks and have had great luck with every one so far BUT with that said all of mine have been with the 855 and without CTIS! CTIS is expensive to maintain and adds cost almost everywhere and I dont like the turbocharged engine from a reliability standpoint. So some will say just get rid of the CTIS and I looked into that on one of my buddies trucks and even doing that was expensive! I am biased in my old age but to me stick with the older series!

HDN

If the CTIS is anything like on the M35A3, it's not going to hurt anything as long as it's left in the OFF position, and I'm not sure wheel valve failure is likely. From reading around the forum, the M939A2 CTIS is a better design than what's on the M35A3 and at least doesn't need to be driven around a couple miles before activation!

If anything is going to cause wheel leaks, it's likely going to be the rim seals (big O ring, valve stem grommet).

And I see the edit button has been enabled on this board :doghead: oh wait it was MOVED from the Conversations board :oops:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks