• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up M1097 - New to Me

Hello.
I am picking up my 1991 M1097 HMMWV (~2000 miles on it) either this week or the following. I will be driving to the Army National Guard unit and am 100% responsible for loading and hauling it away.
I am driving 3 hours down the road to pick it up.
It was running just fine when they parked it pre-covid and they haven't started nor tried to since then. They will provide zero assistance, I just get to show up and take it away.

Trailer has winch on it if needed and since I only have 82" between wheel wells I am thinking I have to build some ramps and will do that.
My question is...
What should I bring with me just for basic troubleshooting to see if it will start?
  • Batteries
  • Jumper cables
  • Diesel
  • Tow straps
  • Have plenty of tie downs
  • Trailer has winch just in case
Anything else I should be thinking of as I prepare for this pickup?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Most all ran fine??? and I understand the excitement. Your first two sentences are the important mission IMO. Get down 3 hours, a quickie walk around, shake hands, strap it down, get back 3 hours, a nice lunch and smile all the way home... as it follows you in the rear view mirror.
Lights and siren optional LOL 🚑

I say this cuz the wish list could be more of a headache doing an on site "Lets See IF" than being back home where the HumV life support system is steps away.

With the patient in the driveway, one can better handle what the old girl (is it a guy?) can throw at YA. Lots of checking to be sure after sitting... and that can go wrong real fast... unless one is feeling lucky. HumV say "AHHHH"

Calling a code BLUE, CAMO

But really, one thing leads to another on HumV rescues. How big is your tool box? Good Luck 🤞☘(y)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello.
I am picking up my 1991 M1097 HMMWV (~2000 miles on it) either this week or the following. I will be driving to the Army National Guard unit and am 100% responsible for loading and hauling it away.
I am driving 3 hours down the road to pick it up.
It was running just fine when they parked it pre-covid and they haven't started nor tried to since then. They will provide zero assistance, I just get to show up and take it away.

Trailer has winch on it if needed and since I only have 82" between wheel wells I am thinking I have to build some ramps and will do that.
My question is...
What should I bring with me just for basic troubleshooting to see if it will start?
  • Batteries
  • Jumper cables
  • Diesel
  • Tow straps
  • Have plenty of tie downs
  • Trailer has winch just in case
Anything else I should be thinking of as I prepare for this pickup?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Bring tools to disconnect the axles to allow pulling the rig onto your rig if the drive train or brakes are frozen. Bring a large bottle of liquid dish detergent to allow you to use a winch to pull the locked tires onto your trailer just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks