• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my 91 923a2 friday

After tons of reading here. My awesome wife as finally allowed me to spend some of my allowance. which I purchased 923a2. I think I have read about all the recovery threads and the gear to take threads. downloaded the TM's to my laptop. So thank you all for the great info on this site and wish me luck on my journey to fort polk.
my wife will be driving the chase car. and should anything unfortunate happen during the trip. anyone between lower Alabama and Fort Polk. you may see on the news some half crazed woman chasing a half gimpy dude around a truck on the side of the road. no worries her knee is almost as bad as mine so it'll surely be a sloooow chase. and she'll calm down when she gets tired. I will post pics if all goes well
thanks again
Jim

therooster2001

Good luck! Bring a spare phone battery, a credit card, lots of tools (don't forget that 10mm wrench for the IP prime). Post progress and the pics, which is tough to remember. Drive slow and read those TM's, you never know what is going to happen...

Go over the truck and check everything, and I mean everything. You've heard the stories of missing differential fluid or missing coolant (hear that poor hemtt that took 19 gallons of coolant?), or the tires as of late. Yikes.

Stupid little things might make the difference, like a Schrader valve remover, or a zip tie to hold open the fuel shutoff. Glad the wife is along on the chase...

Hope you have a fun and problem free recovery. It's an adventure. Welcome!

74M35A2

Congratulations, and sound advice from above post. The 10mm end wrench for priming and the zip tie for the fuel stop solenoid are the only 2 things my truck has needed yet in the 5500 miles I have put on it, and that is from running out of fuel.

A2 should top out at 67mph @ 2150rpm with the pedal on the floor and get about 10mpg. CTIS won't reach ready status until air pressure is 100psi min. Even then, don't touch it until you are home. Air brake pressure needs to be 60psi min before you can drive away. Buy an alligator clip type cigarette lighter outlet plug, and connect it to one of the batteries under the seat. This will give you 12V to run a phone charger or GPS.

You should be able to check fluids, hop in, bump the starter, build air pressure, and drive away. The Cummins 8.3's run great. Wouldn't hurt to have the phone number of an equipment transport company should you need it. If the truck stalls for some reason while driving, you won't be able to steer it, but as an emergency you can shift to neutral, engage the starter and hold it engaged, to be able to turn the steering wheel easily. Don't ask me how I know this.....

dilligaf13

The M932A2 are a little harder to come by, than other M939s. I got lucking and scored a good one, off GL from Camp Shelby, that only needed a lift pump and an air dryer. Good luck on the hunt.

lindsey97

I know the feeling of winning a M923, and seeing what it looks like in the auction photos, driving all night and getting excited to get another truck, only to arrive at the Govplanet lot in Ft. Riley to see your truck get torn to H*** by the friendly wonderful GP staff. Luckily the truck made it home under it's own power, and the damage is largely cosmetic.

GP staff wouldn't allow us into the main area with all of the trucks due to other folks previously stealing parts off of trucks that weren't theirs. I am NOT a thief. So they drug all 3 of our trucks with a Deere 624 loader. They would not allow us to towbar one truck, slave plug it or install fresh batteries, and get one functional to use to retrieve the other two in order to prevent damage. All 3 truck incurred damage that could have been easily avoided, due to the lack of care or knowledge of the Govplanet staff.

We arrived on time, were friendly, and complied with all of Govplanet's requests. My particular truck had the front bumper ruined, the tailgate, lower bed area below the tailgate, and the hood tilt support bracket destroyed.

This is why I tell folks looking for a truck to buy one from an individual, especially if they aren't mechanically inclined or it is their first truck. Winning a cheaper truck at auction, receiving it in "as described" condition, then getting it home safely is not as easy as buying a titled truck from a private seller.

MtnSnow

What did GP management say when you confronted them with the damage?

For the OP don't get discouraged. A good one will most likely show up for you sooner than later

lindsey97

A phone call was made, and GP removed a hood support bracket from another truck.

Still doesn't fix the rest of the damage, nor does it instill confidence in others who may be interested in bidding.

I hope the OP finds a nice truck, everybody deserves a nice one for their first truck.

I have no complaints about the staff member i met down there. He was as deep into it as i was.we
swapped basically every part that was not the harness.fixed a few swapped wires. Cleaned up any and all corrosion we came across. I also believe he was instrumental in the fact that they offered the full refund. He was on the phone with his suppervisors throughout the day, keeping them abreast of what all we had done. Big attaboy for that. There was not much squalking when this was all explaind to the to the claims department. Very pleased. And if i dont find one9 outside of the auction. I will gladly go that route again.
Thank you all
Jim

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, so it went from a Fully Mission Capable truck in the auction to a dead start and bad wires upon arrival? You sure they directed you to the right truck?!

Glad GP was quick with the refund. Sucks that you don't have the truck though!

Yes positive it was the correct truck. It started and ran as advertised. The electical system not so much.
The big question would be. If i had it shipped i'm not so sure the outcome would have been as easy to resolve. Not bashing at all. Once i finially got through on the phone it was a matter of mins to to get an answer. Which I'm positive was do the fact that myself and their rep spent about 8 hours give or take narrowing it down to issues in the main harness.
Jim

hahahah there are only two things in my driveway that the wife won't drive. one being the lawn mower and the second is my motorcycle.... she's ok on the back of the bike. i bought her one for herself about 20 years ago but there was a lack of two wheel balance. there will for sure be a backup cam install before she gets to use reverse.

RumRunner742

I hate that a few integrity-challenged people ruined it for all of us, but GP workers have a job to do and that's what feeds their family. Cant hold that against them. I had a pretty good experience with them when I went last month. They were extremely helpful and Brian even brought out a impact since our cheater bar wasn't working. Heck, he even helped us muscle a tire on. My truck had a flat tire that was holding air in the picture, but I cant hold them responsible for that. Those guys process a lot of trucks with limited resources, so I give them some slack.