• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking Up My First MV From Sparta driving it 450 miles

Vociferous

Will be driving my first 5ton 450 miles...

After patiently waiting a few weeks I've won a 5 ton from Sparta. Sgt Jeff Laumer is helping me out with the recovery. Great guy and patient with a newbie like me asking a lot of questions. I plan on driving it back to Northwest Ohio. I'm leaving Sparta Sunday Sept. 8th early am for the trek home.

I am going to be fully equipped with as many tools and some extra belts and such as my Avalanche will hold. Hopefully won't need any of it. This is a new experience for me. I've worked on plenty of "normal" vehicles but nothing like these guys.

I was wondering if there are any SS members along my route home that could help in the event of bad juju happening? I'll be taking main interstates from Sparta and around Chicago to US 30 into IL and IN. This is probably a long way around to home but Chicago traffic and tolls I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks in Advance for those willing to help.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

I'm by Griffith/Merrillville Indiana so if you need anything I can help, real close to either 80-94 or route 30. Also have a large towbar if needed to pull you to safety.

Also I will have to look but I also went to Sparta and avoided Chicago area, I'll try to figure out how I went, was a breaze to drive.

Riftweaver

I'm about 2 hours south of Sparta. You kind of didn't mention when you are recovering it though. That may open or close a lot of peoples availability.

Vociferous

Sorry about not putting the recovery date. I will be leaving Sparta Sunday Sept 8th early am takes 6 1/2 hrs normally for a car, planning on 8 plus as a cushion. I will edit my first post. Thanks to those of you who have offered to help. Through this site I've found a ton of helpful people and information. Hopefully someday I will have info to help someone or be able to lend a hand to an SS member who needs a hand.

Vociferous

Sgt Laumer recovered my new hobby truck today. He said "looks pretty good it ran and rode real good just a couple of small issues". So, now I'm impatiently waiting till Sunday. Like a kid waiting for Santa to come on Christmas Eve.

Thanks again Sgt Laumer.

Thanks for the well wishes two.fiveM35. I'll put a new memory card in the camera to take lots of photos and video of the truck and my adventure home.

trukhead

Jeff a stand up fellow. He has helped me recover 3 vehicles so far and the situation for him recovering and storing vehicles and previewing them is the just the bee's knees. I unquestioningly pay him his fee. He doesn't charge enough in comparison to the quality and piece of mind his service delivers![thumbzup]:):cool:

Vociferous

Yea, super reasonable fee. I'm glad I found out about Sgt Laumer here. It made it much easier to get my 5ton from GL knowing he's right there and very knowledgeable and helpful.

Bigjer

Another endorsement for Jeff. He helped me a great deal too and helped me get the truck road worthy for a 675 miles recovery!
Well worth the fee and he is supper reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks