• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my m101 Monday from Ft. Hood

shack

I desperately want a deuce, but for now I've settled on getting a m101a3 from Ft. Hood, TX. I've read over lots of recovery threads and think I've got all the essential tools covered and have been going over the TM. I'm a little hazy as to what "Pinning the Master Cylinder" on the Brake System consists of. I know its to disable the brakes and I think this refers to the where the lunette travels back and forth?

I was wondering if anyone else will be in the Ft. Hood area Monday morning? I'm mechanically inclined but I'd love it if someone with experience could lend me a couple minutes to make sure I covered all my bases before I drag it up to Dallas.

I'll buy breakfast or lunch.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what happens to the pins, but this is where you should put it, if need be. You might have to pull the pintle forward to get it in there. In a pinch, a phillips screw driver will do the trick. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder - it takes DOT 5/Silicone brake fluid. That and air in the tires..... An A3 will be real nice. Good Luck

Attachments

86m1028

I desperately want a deuce, but for now I've settled on getting a m101a3 from Ft. Hood, TX. I've read over lots of recovery threads and think I've got all the essential tools covered and have been going over the TM. I'm a little hazy as to what "Pinning the Master Cylinder" on the Brake System consists of. I know its to disable the brakes and I think this refers to the where the lunette travels back and forth?

I was wondering if anyone else will be in the Ft. Hood area Monday morning? I'm mechanically inclined but I'd love it if someone with experience could lend me a couple minutes to make sure I covered all my bases before I drag it up to Dallas.

I'll buy breakfast or lunch.

Hey neighbor
I wont be at hood on monday but did preview them.
Be sure to check bearings & tires.

Good luck

Pawnshop

I looked at them too, they all seemed road worthy. Take a laser thermometer to check hub temps periodically on the trip home (looking for bad bearings), be sure the lights work (onboard ones, or magnet type you brought with). If the trailer lurches when stopping put the pin in the lockout hole, otherwise don't worry about it. If it has a tarp on, take it off for the trip, your top and fuel mileage will thank you.

Mr. Holcomb is very nice and helpful, DON'T try to tow it away with a Honda CVCC or a Smart, he does not understand when people do that...

shack

thanks Pawnshop. I plan on picking up some bearings just in case. Are the inner ones hard to replace? Do I need to pull the rim?

I'll be towing it with an FJ Cruiser. I should be ok there.

Pawnshop

Yep, life will suck without that registration receipt. And the first traffic light inside the main gate is Tank Destroyer Ave (love that name...), you will need to take a left there so be sure you are in the correct lane for that, turning around is a pita, ask me how I know...

shack

well, I took a drive down to Ft. Hood today and picked up my m101. Turns out, it's a a2 model. I went back and looked at my win and it actually never said a3, I just assumed it did based on the way the trailer looked. I did a bit more research and now see where the differences are in the side bracing (already knew about the width). I'm happy and think this will work out a bit better size-wise.

Got down there and actually came in from the north side of the base, which is completely wrong. I talked to a few security guards and they directed me to go down West Range Road, which was pretty cool, til I read the disclaimer signs that said "Live Artillery Fire Overhead. Proceed at your own risk." Anyway, got to the visitor's center and got checked in, then went to the DRMO Building and picked it up. Had absolutely no problems whatsoever with getting it ready. The tires were fully aired up, bearings looked good and the brakes worked great. I was kind of hustled out of the lot by the Govliquidation guy, but managed to stop on my way out of the base at an unused building and prep it for the drive home. Anyhoo, a few pics...

shack

oh, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who helped me out in this thread, as well as Steel Soldiers in general. I had a lot of confidence going down there to pick up my trailer, even though it was my first time. You guys are great.

Looking forward to my deuce next!

or CUCV!

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Nice looking trailer.

The next time you transport the trailer cross the safety chains so that in the event that the pintle opens up the trailer tongue won't hit the ground.

RealCavDog

Great looking set-up ! Feels pretty good don't it !

Reading your post took me back a few years, 30 actually ! West Range Road !

AAAAAHHHH . . . . Central Texas in the spring ! LOL ! :beer:

3dAngus

That is a nice trailer. You did a great job of getting it perfectly level for maximum comfort on the ride home. Congrats!

shack

The FJ liked it just fine. Gas consumption was pretty bad though. I went from getting around 14-15 to around 10 on the drive home. I read on here that the pintle needed to be about 24" off the ground to get the trailer level. I had originally bought one that just slid in the 2" opening but thought it was a bit low. Glad I went back to Tractor Supply to get the correct parts.

I was surprised they let me drive through as well. Moreover, there were absolutely no guards or checkpoints anywhere on the north side that I saw. The only reason I spoke to anyone was I pulled into a lot where security guards were on duty. Anyone could have driven down West Range Road. Kinda odd, but I'm not sure of what all happens there.

Safety Chains - yeah, I woulda crossed em but the length's worked out so perfect that I just didn't bother. I will in the future once I get proper lengths cut. I had one long length that I brought just in case.

JB

Just a suggestion to anyone that has a 3/4 ton trailer like this. Put a rolling jack on the driver side of the drawbars. It saves your back and is easy to move on concrete even with a load. I set the main leg down when storing long term or overnight so not to put pressure on non-original parts. This is a trailer i bought and sold a while back. Previous owner had it on the right side but I moved it to the left since that is the side I am on most of the time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks