• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my new to me 003

Jimc

So I had a spare hour today to start messing with gen. First place to start was the fuel tank. Removed that and as suspected there was a 1/2" of mud and water at the bottom of it. I guess the owner before me tried to get it running and just added fuel to the old nasty stuff that was in there. It even smelled bad. I cant imagine what these strainers in the facet pumps look like. Doesn't appear that they have ever been removed. And the prior owner wondered why it wouldn't run right. He had the injectors rebuilt too. I hope that nothing made it downstream past the final filter. At least he changed those.

storeman

Jimc,
I wouldn't trust any aspect of the fuel supply. You may be able to reuse his fuel filters but all canisters need to come off and be inspected/cleaned and all lines cleared. Fuel filters are 500 hour items so long as they haven't been crapped. I've salvaged a lot of them from units but have not tried to run the units before dealing with the fuel supply system.
Jerry

Last edited:

Jimc

thanks jerry, i dont plan to. i already have spin ons ordered. i also washed out the fuel tank today and acid washed it. looks brand new now. i opened up the facet pumps and to my surprise the strainers in them looked brand new. i was kinda hoping to find something there. in any case i am going to start another thread on the teardown process.

Jimc

thats a good find. we do have a member here wciguy i think that has them i think for about $4. they are not factory onan parts but i have gotten them a couple times and they are the same material as the onan ones i bought and they are spot on every time. i actually have the gaskets all in a cad file and i can cnc cut them with my vinyl cutter but at his price its not even worth it for me to mess with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks