• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picking up my new truck tomorrow

weasle50BMG

I am leaving tomorrow for DE to pick up my first M35A2 with a winch for 3500. It is about 2 hours from home. I hope everything goes well. The owner said it runs good and he had changed the oil and there were no major problems or leaks. He had applied for the title two weeks ago and has not receved it yet. How long does it take to get one? Should I be concerned about anything? Hope every one will say a few good words to the man upstairs that everything goes well. I am going to take a box of tools, some duck tape, ear plugs, and some 20-50 motor oil. Is there anything else i should take?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are my suggestions on what to bring:

*15W40 oil (not 20W50)
*a breaker bar and lug wrench
*at least a four ton bottle jack
*insurance if you can get it
*a set of alternator belts (without the alternator belts, you lost the water pump)
*a few gallons of water for the radiator just in case
*vice grips
*add diesel fuel conditioner to the fuel tank before you fill up
*can you find the fuel filters to carry just in case you have a problem? To me, fuel filters are more important than changing the oil in this case as dirty oil won't stop your progress, but clogged fuel filters will.

Ask the guy to check all the gear lube and to lubricate the driveline (or do this when you arrive). Make sure the guy checks the hoses to make sure they look OK. I am sure you will be fine. Two hours is not a huge deal.

Good luck!

weasle50BMG

thanks for the help. I was looking at the manuals but was unable to fined what size belts are need for the motor. can you get fuel filter from napa what are the numbers?
thanks again for all the help.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manuals are in the resources section at the top of the screen. As for the filter numbers, there is a post be another member with a really in depth recovery list if you were picking one up from a GL lot and not a private seller. But he has the filter numbers and belt numbers listed in the thread...yes, you can get all of the stuff from NAPA.

The Ultimate Recovery List

I see that you are from Coatsville, I have family in Coatsville. Small world huh. My uncle worked in service at Brian Hoskins Ford for years and years.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa numbers-
Primary fuel filter, 3511 x 1
Secondary, 3512 x 2

I've recently heard that the car quest filters are better than Napa (smaller Micron rating) But the Napa filters would be better than gunked up ones, and much better than none.

rickt44498

new ( to you) vehicle pickup

WEASLE50BMG... i'd call my insurance agent and inquire about coverage...

i traveled to bufffalo, ny with an email copy of my insurance coverage for the SPECIFIC VEHICLE, thanks to my agent...

if you get pulled over, or a cop stops if you're broken down, a bill of sale is ok, but CYA for the insurance end of it...

old vehicle, brake condition unknown, all the other variables... why take the chance...

enjoy your new toy...rick

Coal Cracker

I wonder of that's the one I was looking at? The no title thing from a civvy scares me. Gl seems to be a pain, but at least I know uncle sam didn't steal it. There should be no reason to sell somthing without a title:roll: Hope all goes well

weasle50BMG

I talked to the guy on the phone and was told that he had sent the application for the title along with the money and is just waiting for it to get there in the mail. I don't see why a person would lie about that. But it is making me nervous now. I would hate to get there and find out he never sent for it. that would make for a bad day. I have a copy of my insurance. but i will call my agent before i leave tomorrow.
How long does it take to get the title from the gov?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the time to get a NOTARIZED bill of sale from him. If he is on the level he should have no problem doing this. I'd also clarify if he applied for a state title or the SF97 from the gov't. If he has applied for the sf97, that is not transferrable and once it comes in he will have to apply for a state title with the SF97. Either way you will not be legally driving your truck for a while.

Coal Cracker

not to be mr Negativity.

Pa. dot has been out in force, and pulling everything aside, ice cream truck to 18 wheeler. If you're getting it towed, I'd chance it, If you're driving it, I'd be wary. Welcome to the Commonwealth. I'm eyeing a new deuce, and will probably have it hauled just my2cents

weasle50BMG

:lost:
It is all coming together now. Now i know why it hasn't sold. I knew there had to be a reason it wasn't sold for that price all ready. Thanks Recovery. He is just applying for the SF97. So bummed... But better that i know that now instead of going down there and getting something that i can't enjoy right away.

I guess I will have to keep looking....

I would like to thank every one for all the help and insite into buying a truck. i am so glad that i don't have to do this on my own. If that was the fact i would have had a big lawn ordiment.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but most folk don't know what to expect with the SF 97 and sellers frequently tell you that it's all you need. Better off with a title.

scrapman

It was most likely just picked up at the auction for a quick buck. If too much time passes it is almost impossible to get the SF97 then you have a truck with no paper. I don't sell no trucks without a state issued title, this protects the seller & buyer. There has been cases of "I don't know why it is'nt here yet" once the money changes hands. Keep looking usually someone who has invested the time & effort to get proper & clear paperwork has probably also checked the truck over and will give you an accurate report of any faults. And at this point he is not thefull owner yet. What if there was a glitch and this truck was not supposed to be sold and the gov't wants it returned and the SF97 is denied?

Last edited: