• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my redone M1009 before and after

Wrench Wench

For that snorkel to be truly effective, wouldn't you need to do something with the exhaust, like bring it out the driver's side right in front of the rear wheel and straight up the side of the vehicle to exit above the cap?

panama

Keep the snorkel...I want the ROOF RACK! How did you mount it? Does it leak? How much weight can it support on the fiberglass? Truck looks really nice BTW...good job.

paramilusmc

so what filter can did you use on that snorkel

I used a 4 inch Caterpillar pre-cleaner as the filter. You have to order it through a Cat retailer.

Snorkel itself was made out of 4inch stainless steel exhaust pipe, fabricated and installed by Warner muffler here in Oceanside CA. This was their first one.

paramilusmc

For that snorkel to be truly effective, wouldn't you need to do something with the exhaust, like bring it out the driver's side right in front of the rear wheel and straight up the side of the vehicle to exit above the cap?

Yup that plus do some sealing of the engine. Allot of work to just go fording. I only paid 360.00 for the whole set up and it works great, but to be truly effective I have all of of work ahead of me.

paramilusmc

Keep the snorkel...I want the ROOF RACK! How did you mount it? Does it leak? How much weight can it support on the fiberglass? Truck looks really nice BTW...good job.
The rack is a little pricey at about 650.00. I got a bit of a military dicount. It comes with all mounting hardware right down to the tracks that mount to the roof. Actually mounts with 7 bolts trough on each side. It has pads under the runners to prevent leaks.

The instructions say not to exceed 250lbs on the rack at any time. I have also been advised by good friend of mine not to exceed the same weight. The thing in the center is the tire carrier in case you were wondering. Mounted up real easy, but was time consuing to put together. A lot and I do mean allot of parts.

83k30

i dont think you need to snorkel the exhaust, just keep the water out of the motor and you'll be fine! mine has been underwater many times with no ill effects! btw, sweet setup with the snorkel!

paramilusmc

Ya unless the vehicle stops running while your in the water, I haven't figured out a way to get it all sorted out yet. But I will. Thought about adding a HUMVEE exhaust to it. but then again that would look just atrocious.

niferous

Ya unless the vehicle stops running while your in the water, I haven't figured out a way to get it all sorted out yet. But I will. Thought about adding a HUMVEE exhaust to it. but then again that would look just atrocious.
Down in South Louisiana they have an exhaust flange welded onto the edge of the exhaust pipe(s) where they come out on the rear side panel. When they know it's going to rain and high water is coming they have an exhaust pipe that runs up the side with a heat shield, much like the HMMWV ones, that they just bolt on. That way you don't have to keep it on all the time. Just when you need it. You'll need a bracket too that is where the rear top meets the body to brace it.

paramilusmc

Down in South Louisiana they have an exhaust flange welded onto the edge of the exhaust pipe(s) where they come out on the rear side panel. When they know it's going to rain and high water is coming they have an exhaust pipe that runs up the side with a heat shield, much like the HMMWV ones, that they just bolt on. That way you don't have to keep it on all the time. Just when you need it. You'll need a bracket too that is where the rear top meets the body to brace it.

I would love to see pictures of the set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks