• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pics of trailer pu @ Ft Dix

nickd

I left early on 12/12/07 to pick up the trailers I bid on at Fort Dix. The trailers were in the yard and one was loaded in the bed of the deuce with the lunette facing the cab. The other one went on the pintle. MarksGarage2 was on standby for mechanical emergencies. (thanks Mark, all went well!) I was not allowed to take any photographs on the base so the first shot was taken at a nearby gas station fuel was $3.29/gal. The return trip to Delaware took 90 minutes. The trailer was strapped down to the bed with a ratchet strap over the top with straps from the trailer axle to the towing shackles on the back of the truck to prevent the trailer from joining me in the cab in the event of an unexpected stop caused by some eye candy not paying attention while chatting on the cell phone and applying another layer of face mask. Ratchet straps to the tire dowwn rings in the deuce bed held the trailer from moving backward in the event of rapid acceleration(that did not happen)

Off loading the trailer from the bed was interesting but luckily uneventful. I used a set of wooden ramps (2 X12's with 2 2X4's glued and screwed under each ramp for added strength) The ramps were strained under the weight of the trailer but held up for the duration of the process. I used 2 wheel chocks to prevent the trailer from rolling forward in the bed while I released the trailer brakes to push it onto the ramps. 2 come-a-longs were fastened to the bed mounted tie downs and to the ftraler frame mounted tie downl loops. I allowed slack in the come-a-long cables to allow for forward movement and to prevent the trailer from rolling down the ramps out of control. Once the trailer was on the ramps, I operated the come-a longs in a rowing motion lowering them a click at a time. Since I was alone there were no pictures of the trailer on the ramp until the end as I was busy making sure there were no suprise events.

As the trailer moved down the ramp and the front wheel of the trialer approached the back of the bed I walked the wheel down the tailgate until the lunette rested on the bed. A short plank was placed under the wheel and the rest of the way down was easy.

Here are some pictures of the process.

Attachments

Armada

Excellent recovery, nickd! I really like how you loaded and unloaded it in the back of the M35. Are they scheduled for a coat of 686? Nice bit of trailer history too. Here is a pic of my veteran M101 shipping tag from camp Arifjan, Kuwait.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I like reading and pics of. Necessity is the mother of invention! Great job Nick.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nick:
Great haul and nice pictures. I use similar ramps all the time the only problem with wood is that it bends so much I have had the lower boards pull apart from the main ramp. I was loading a truck and it weighed more than the trailer but it pulled it apart even with glue and 3 1/2 inch screws. I know the idea is good to increase the moment of inertia in the ramp but nothing beats a well made aluminum or steel ramp. I probably walked past some of those trailers on my many trips to Kuwait looking for lost Army equipment.

nickd

The trailer was loaded by fork lift lifting on the box from the back and a come-a-long was used connected from the lunette over the top to the fork lift mast to prevent the trailer from falling off the lift. The fork lift had an almost flat front tire but the operator was able to get the trailer up high enough and I backed the truck under the load and he lowered it onto the bed. Armada, I will be parting them out and the beds are almost new and are spoken for. I scored 2 new tires and 2 more at about 80% along with a few other parts for my tan 105 trailer in the background. the rest will be stripped and saved with the steel scrapped.
Kenny, the operation was touch and go and the neighbors always get some entertainment but are never there to lend a hand. David, hope you are well and safe, looking forward to seeing you soon.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
im guessing that since you were able to unload it out of the back by rolling it down the ramps it means you dont need air hooked to it for the wheels to be unlocked?? a friend of mine won a trailer on lakehurst and was wondering if he could pull it with ot air behind a ford to get it home

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No air supply needed to "unlock" the brakes or anything, just remind him to talk off the hand brakes before hitting the road. Also, pintle hight might be a problem, as the landing gear on the M105 trailer is set up for a decue/5 ton height pintle, not a civy pick up truck. If he has any ideas that he can pick it uphimself, pull the landing gear release, and lower it on to the pintle, he's smoking crack, and I dont care how strong he is... I had to get a forklift to help me lower the tounge onto my pintle, as there was no way it was going to work without mechanical means lowering it that low onto my Dodge 1500.. Have him bring a big bottle jack with a 4x4 or 6x6 about a foot or so long to stand on end.. And be careful.

nickd

I chose to tow the trailer with working tail lights but the landing gear would not drop down. Both trailers were stored with the lunette touching the ground and the landing gear stowed. The fork lift raised the trailer for towing and I held it up with the high lift jack. When Jacking up the trailer remember to lock the parking brakes or use wheel chocks to ensure the trauler does not move and cause serious injury. Use care towing the 105 trialer with out brakes using other than a deuce since the trailer weighs over 2500# and can push a pick up truck around should a jack knife situation arise.

Mike_Pop

Nick,

Great pictures! Wish I knew you were around, we could have met up.

I purchased my M105 from Lakehurst and they didn't help me at all. The forklift operator pulled it out of the DRMO lot and once he got out of the gate, that's where he left it. He wouldn't even lift the front end to put the lunette on my hitch. I had to jack it up myself to get it onto my Mitsubishi FM. I had no problem pulling it without brakes since the Mitsu was a 33,000# truck.

Cdub

They are a couple of clean look'n trailers........Glad to hear everything went as planned....

Maybe I'll get a chance to check them out at Aberdeen 2008 show.

Cheers,

C'dub

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
can you beat the lunette out of the trailer and flip it like on the water tanks?? i got a luntte out of a junkyard from a water tank once and it came out rather easily cause it was tapered. it had flat spots in the taper so you could flip it over and lower the tounge height for different vehicles.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can beat it and turn it, but thats not gonna help ya much when hooking it up to a pickup.. You may gain a few inches at the most. Certainly not enough to help with it..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks