• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pimary Filter Housing Removal

Varyag

I am having a **** of a time removing the housing from the primary fuel filter. I have read up on it and I can't find anywhere you can get a 1 inch wrench on. I have tried spinning the whole body off and broke my filter wrench trying. Is there something I am missing? I can see where it would screw out but I am just failing completely on removal. I know I am going to more then likely destroy the O-ring pulling it apart and am more then willing to get a replacement.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a bolt head on top of the filter housing, under the alternator.(on top) You do not spin the housing.

This is where looking at the -20P TM is useful. It gives you an exploded view of the item. That makes disassembly, self explanatory.

item 7 is the nut you need to loosen.

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmullag

Just changed mine recently, the nut you have to turn is in the area under the alternator. It is hard to get to and only room enough to make short turns with the wrench. I had to keep flipping the open-end wrench over for the different angle of approach with the wrench. It is a pain.

91W350

Might unhook a battery cable and save the possibility of grounding the wrench to the alternator. I have not personally experienced it, but have read that it can be expensive. Glen

Jimma

I had to loosen the bolts that secure the alternator, push it over and then had good access to the bolt. It makes the job easier if you have one person under the truck supporting the canister as you loosen it. Not only does that keep it from falling and hitting the ground, spilling everywhere but they can take the weight off of it as it loosens making your job on top easier.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is it a 1" bolt? I could have sworn they were 3/4".

It takes a 1" wrench to remove the primary fuel filter. I had a hard time removing one once then took a good second look and found the wrench was binding up on me. I repositioned the wrench and the nut came loose pretty easily.

BadMastard

Must be the day for fuel filters. I just took mine off and replaced it with a spin on from Napa. My drain wasn't working on the stock one. I actually took off the fuel lines and removed the filter with the bracket on it. That's when I discovered it had been vice gripped on the fuel lines, and the brass fittings weren't fitting anymore. A quick trip to lowes and Napa, and a bit of welding and it's now a spin on filter. Of course, the new filter? The drain valve is broken.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks