• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pin hole in injection pump spitting fuel?

msoumas

I just had someone take my intake manifold off to repair a leaking injector line. Today I took the truck for its first real spin since the repair, and I had an immediate problem. I went to put it up to speed, and it suddenly lost power. I stepped on the gas and got clouds of smoke like I've never seen before. Having never been one to know when to quit, I took this as a sign that it needed more throttle. I pushed harder, and the smoke stopped from the exhaust, puffed up from the engine, and the truck surged forward in a much healthier acceleration. After driving about a mile, I stopped to see if I could figure out what was going on. The passenger's side half of the engine was SOAKED in fuel. I could see where it was coming from, a little "pin hole" on the side of the injection pump. There was also some Water Weld around the pin hole. As far as I can tell, the mechanic must have seen this hole spitting some fuel and tried to plug it. Whatever it was, the engine didn't like it, and literally spat the plug out with a resulting fuel geyser (hence the engine compartment smoke).

So I've figured out the timeline to explain what happened, but it's still sputtering fuel out of that little hole. What is this hole for, and why is there fuel coming out of it????:-(

msoumas

First pic should give an idea of general location, second is a closer shot. As you can see, there is some water weld or the like, and it must have literally blasted it out.

EDIT: Adding third photo from web for reference. It's one of the two holes I circled.

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Hmm.. I don't remember ever seeing a hole or fitting of any kind on that... looks to be some sort of damage. I would replace the pump. I don't like messing around with fuel all over a hot engine. I see a lot of new fittings on that fuel system.. some sort of repair job? A new pump is looking better and better.

msoumas

Hmm.. I don't remember ever seeing a hole or fitting of any kind on that... looks to be some sort of damage. I would replace the pump. I don't like messing around with fuel all over a hot engine. I see a lot of new fittings on that fuel system.. some sort of repair job? A new pump is looking better and better.

No... this pump is less than 6 months old and with the money I have sunk into this truck I will scrap it before I go through that again. The fittings are a repair on one of the injector lines that was not so good.

Westech

CPL
ok i see it now with the 3rd pic you added.. I looked on the net and I think that the injector line fitting should plug that hole up when installed. one way or the other something is wrong with that pump. and what do you mean that pump is less then 6 months old? did you have someone install the pump? if so they F-ed you

msoumas

ok i see it now with the 3rd pic you added.. I looked on the net and I think that the injector line fitting should plug that hole up when installed. one way or the other something is wrong with that pump. and what do you mean that pump is less then 6 months old? did you have someone install the pump? if so they F-ed you

The pump was fresh as of this summer. That injector line had some trouble and among other things the fitting for the injector line needed to be replaced. Maybe the new fitting is shorter and doesn't plug the hole? But then if that's the case, I don't understand why it would run that rough until it pushed the "plug" out. Or maybe it ran rough immediately after pushing it out (with the sudden change in fuel pressure?), and a more permanent solution is needed there?

Westech

CPL
why would someone install a injection pump with liquid steal or of the like is what I'm asking at this point. Looks like one way or the other that intake at least will have to come off and a new line fitting or pump and line will be needed.

msoumas

why would someone install a injection pump with liquid steal or of the like is what I'm asking at this point. Looks like one way or the other that intake at least will have to come off and a new line fitting or pump and line will be needed.

Does the hole there serve any purpose? I was thinking that if it doesn't, I could tap it and put a small, fine thread bolt in there with some teflon tape. Just don't want to do that and find out there's a reason it's supposed to be there. :/

NPD732

Not sure what the hole is actually for, but the pumps all have them and they don't leak fuel. The problem I see is the repaired injection line. The coupling looks like an ordinary compression coupling. It will never hold up to the line pressure the pump produces. You need to replace that line and any other bad ones. The repaired line could be causing your fuel leak at the pump. I would take it to someone that knows better than using JB weld on the pump.

CUCV85

2 options

First pic should give an idea of general location, second is a closer shot. As you can see, there is some water weld or the like, and it must have literally blasted it out.

EDIT: Adding third photo from web for reference. It's one of the two holes I circled.
2 options -
1 leave it just like it is AND try to or Maybe try and fix? The hole.
oh and you will never ever guess this one,
remove everything, look at that pump up close -
curse at it, have a buddy curse at it too and then go from there!
I'm not being a prick by any means.
Leave it there or remove it...
I had my IP rebuilt for $509.00 YEAH IT HURTS! ( $ ) only a little while
by very reputable fellas
that fathers father started business - rebuilding IP for John Deere,
it needed
a new Advance Piston being completely scored/worn and a total rebuild! RUNS LIKE A RA**ED APE Now.