• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pin & Sleeve Connectors - 60A Breaker size?

Waukesha

I just acquired some Appleton 60A pin/sleeve connectors and 4ga Type W cabling for my MEP-803A (overkill, I agree, the price was RIGHT).

I note that the pin/sleeve connectors are rated 60A & 600V. Does that mean that they are capable of handling a higher amperage at a lower voltage (keeping within the same wattage??) or am I thinking about this wrong?

I know that the MEP-803A has a running amperage of 52 @ 240. And an overload up to ~65 amps. My question above is more theoretical. To maintain as close to a UL installation as I can, I won't surpass a 50, MAYBE 60a back-feed breaker.

Waukesha

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you have a "why" behind that? 600v @ 60A = 36,000 watts. 240V @ 60 = 14,400 watts.

I assume that the heat generated between those two loads would be different, and it's my understanding that heat is one of the main reasons the code is written the way it is.

Scoobyshep

Current ratings are in the code to protect the insulation from damaging heat. Heat is created in a conductor by current passing through a resistance.

watts is the current consumed at the voltage supplied.

Think about utility transmissions when the voltage is massively stepped up in the thousands of volts and the load at the end remains the same the system is consuming the same wattage. the high voltage section will have a very low amperage so there is less loss in heat because lower current. but the same work is being done because the wattage is the same.

Scoobyshep

Now lets go over your install. you mentioned a backfeed so I'm gonna assume you are hooking up to your house. Your backfeed breaker can be as large as you want, as long as it matches the rating of the wire between the breaker and the inlet. the generators overcurrent protection will protect the so cord and the pin and sleeve. Now 65 amps on a 60 amp pin and sleeve? That will be just fine as there are provisions in the code for feeder and not having to jump size, not to mention youd really have to push that set balls to the wall to cause damage to the pin and sleeve.

Now the thing that can really be a hazard, Proper Grounding. unless you are switching your neutral you need to isolate your ground from the neutral in the generator. If you run it separate from the house you need to bond the neutral to the ground.

Waukesha

Thanks, Scoobyshep. I only purchased this unit to use as a home backup at this time. This is my third MEP unit. First one I flipped (wife didn't like it), power goes out, bought a second one and permanently installed it (think I made a post on here about that). Sold that one when I moved to TX and purchased a really nice trailer mounted unit shortly after.

Based on your comments, what size breaker do you recommend for the 803A?

My setup is as follows: ~125ft of 4/4 type W running from generator lugs through 60A pin/sleeve (100ft length + 25 ft length) to a 50A twist lock NEMA inlet on the house. I do have a pin/sleeve inlet just not sure I want to uninstall the NEMA and replace with pin/sleeve due to being mounted in brick... Thoughts?

Waukesha

Youre welcome, remember to check the wire size as well. Needs to be #6 copper or larger
Thanks.

I'm using 4 conductor 4 gauge Type W fine thread copper mining cable. It's heavy as sin... Wish I could trench and hard wire... However I have a drive way one way, and a patio the other.

I was able to find 200' of the 4/4 Type W, a military surplus drum to wind it on, and the 6 pin/sleeve connectors for $550. I'd say I did alright :). That cable alone new is $1K+ not to mention the pin/sleeve connectors @ $300ea. The guy had some really cool military/nasa surplus spot lamps. He said they were 1 billion candle power. Crazy!

Scoobyshep

Thanks.

I'm using 4 conductor 4 gauge Type W fine thread copper mining cable. It's heavy as sin... Wish I could trench and hard wire... However I have a drive way one way, and a patio the other.
I ment for in between the inlet and breaker. If the existing inlet is 50 amp theres a decent chance its #8

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks