• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion brakes

50BMG

I'm putting pinion brakes on a bobbed deuce, can someone tell me how good this system is?

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good offroad. Wont last long at highway speeds. Bobbed deuce just go with 4 wheel disc brakes if its for overall stopping power. If its an upgrade for offroad then use it to supplement the disc brakes

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

winfred

with open diffs in a wet turn could get amusing real quick, id like em on the rears of my truck for back up (with a hand brake or extra pedal) oh sheet braking but not for service

50BMG

Thanks for the info,I was just trying to improve the brakes,didn't really get a negative so I'm gonna try it beings I've already bought them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some good advise for the future.

Ask before buying.

KsM715

So are you putting them on in addition to the drum brakes or you going pinion only? I'm curious why people would want them at all. I guess I understand that off road the are up out of the mud and water but then at the same time you have less braking power and a lot more mass to slow down per brake. Along with the fact that if you run open diffs and break an axle shaft you lose all braking to that end of the truck.

50BMG

Hey you guys are all negative about pinion brakes,but nobody gave me a good reason not to put them on.I understand with open different and only pinion brakes that could be dangerous, but with 6 brakes on a bobbed deuce with 2 arb air lockers I can't see a problem.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey you guys are all negative about pinion brakes,but nobody gave me a good reason not to put them on.I understand with open different and only pinion brakes that could be dangerous, but with 6 brakes on a bobbed deuce with 2 arb air lockers I can't see a problem.
Did you read through the posted threads?

Also YOU never answered the question if they are legal in your state.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I read all the posts and nobody give a good reason not to.
Five times the rpm of the axle is going to give you 5 times the friction. There's not enough mass in the pinion brake to absorb the resulting heat , even at 40mph. It'll melt.

Otherwise this would be the solution to the single circuit brake problem ...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a few reasons not to.

1. The previously mentioned braking issue in the wet. But since you're going to use it to augment your braking, I guess that's a moot point.
2. You're going to add this to the existing braking system? Are you going to change the master cylinder to keep it separate? Because you'll want it on it's own circuit. (More to come on that)
3. You'll need to do a lot of work to change over the braking system in the truck since we've kinda outlined the need of the change to the MC. (But you'd be better served changing over to a USAF dual circuit "stock" setup) More money you're going to have to spend.
4. Going back to #2, why do you want it on a separate system? Well that's because the pinion brakes are going to overheat and boil fluid in a hurry on the road. This could be a dangerous issue on a single circuit system.
5. Even if it's a secondary system, it's still likely not legal to have. (And from what I've seen of CA road law enforcement) You'd be advertising that fact with the design of the axles/system. You might talk them out of it being illegal if it's a secondary system, but while they're there, I'm betting they'll find some other issue.

I went down this path a few years back. It's simply not going to be beneficial to a well maintained and functional stock system. I still would like to swap over to the USAF dual circuit system on my truck though for safety.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever been to a monster truck show? They use pinion brakes and as soon as they make a few passes the rotor is flaming red hot! And that's in an arena where they don't go 55 MPH for long stretches. And they actually weigh less than a deuce. They will wear out quickly on a deuce used on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks