• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion brakes

50BMG

Wow all of a sudden I'm feeling the love on this forum,and if it makes you sleep better at night I'll do more research on this subject.thanks guys.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow all of a sudden I'm feeling the love on this forum,and if it makes you sleep better at night I'll do more research on this subject.thanks guys.
The single circuit "issue" is something that I have in the back of my mind every time I drive. It might have sounded condescending, but I was being sincere about the risk.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be way ahead by making it a
completely separate system.

I presume your goal is to make a system superior to and more reliable than the stock system. If you plumb it into the existing system, you will have actually increased the potential points of failure and one failure will still take the whole system down.

rustystud

Well your at that bridge as soon as you hook into the stock system , they will lock as soon as you apply the brakes and you will never get enough fluid to the wheel cylinders to activate the wheel brakes without a proportioning valve matched to the spring tension on the wheel brakes . This is hydraulic braking 101.
He's right. You can't beat the laws of nature. Ain't gonna happen.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Juice only?

No way of making them mechanical?
It doesn't seem like it would be to hard to add another master cylinder controlled by a hand lever as a secondary
system in case of a failure in the primary system. But at any kind of speed it's most likely a 1 time use then need rebuilding from overheating . As has been pointed out rock crawler have no where near the weight of a deuce and monster trucks will rebuild them between runs if necessary , they definitely get inspected between runs.

red

Pinion brakes should never be mounted on a front axle, causes 1 front tire to lock up (unpredictable which tire will do it as well). Only mount pinion brakes on rear axles.

setup the pinion brakes as a separate system, to serve as a emergency brake. They don't work well as a service brake because of how much heat they build up fast compared to brakes on the hubs. For a emergency brake or (if setup with a mechanical caliper) parking brake they work great.

50BMG

Thank you all for your input,it's been an interesting discussion and I've learned a lot.The idea of 4wheel disc brakes sounds like the best system,but they are a little pricy.

Eliteweapons

You got me. I wasn't thinking A3 until the last sentence.

That being said, yeah, killing it and downshifting should still be effective as long as the initial speed was high enough where the lockup TC is locked. (A3s have a lockup converter don't they?)
I test using the trans to stop my truck occasionally just to be prepared in the case of a brake failure and to know what to expect (stopping distance and so on). I never shut down the engine but my A3 does slowdown quite well just keep in mind where the rpm will go when going down to the lower gear. I prefer to know what options I have before something happens so when something happens I don't have to try to figure out what options I have I can just react.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I test using the trans to stop my truck occasionally just to be prepared in the case of a brake failure and to know what to expect (stopping distance and so on). I never shut down the engine but my A3 does slowdown quite well just keep in mind where the rpm will go when going down to the lower gear. I prefer to know what options I have before something happens so when something happens I don't have to try to figure out what options I have I can just react.
That's a good idea testing the truck so you know what to expect. They say when you are teaching your child to drive a car with antilock brakes you should to take them to a large vacant parking lot and have them do a emergency stop. That way they wont panic when the brake system does what a antilock system does. If you have never done it is an eye opener.
As for the pinion brake I still say no. Best bet would be have everything working correct on the axle brake system. As for the pinion brake the newer style with the twist top handle that removes the slack and keep the shoes adjusted /clean with all correct parts. Buy some chocks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks