• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion Questions!!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was following this thread because I had some slack in my front axle pinion. Due to the costs of the bearings I figured I'd give it a shot and see what pulling a few shims would make. I pulled four of the really thin shims. (two on each end of the pinion caps) My axle wasn't leaking oil out of the pinion though. I drained the oil and didn't see any chunks or slivers. The oil did have some moisture in it though. Anyhow, I just pulled the shims and it took out the slack almost completely. (Up and down/in and out pinion movement) Drove it around today and it seems fine. No leaks yet either. I also notice the pinion seems to be running cooler. As I didn't notice any warmth from the housing previous to the shim removal.

I'm going to jack up one side of the rear axle and see how much play I have. And I'll check the middle axle. I need to drain and fill those back axles too. I should also change the fluids in the t-case and transmission.

I guess I'm still used to my "small" 3/4 ton pickups. I lost count after 20 something grease points. The front axle used 1.5 gallons of gear oil.

oldshep

Got everything back togather today. Pinions nice and tight now. A little too tight. going to add a couple shims before i drive it again. got a little too hot after a drive. really a pretty easy job though.

mdmorganwife

Got everything back togather today. Pinions nice and tight now. A little too tight. going to add a couple shims before i drive it again. got a little too hot after a drive. really a pretty easy job though.
So what was the final outcome? Where were parts purchaced from and total $? Thanks