• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Mount Twisted! Is it the ball?

koolex11

Now I know these super tall mounting plates are not the best idea, but this was the first time I put weight in it with this combo hitch. 1500 pounds of firewood and I only drove it a mile or so. When I backed into the drive, the second the trailer started to turn and twist (the ground was uneven), there was loud knocking as the lunette rotated in the pintle, then BANG! and a tremendous release of pressure, causing the whole truck to jerk sideways. I don't think the surge brake was engaging as I reversed, and the only thing I can think is the lunette somehow got stuck in the waist of the ball hitch. Anybody with experience in this?

I saw the thread on people saying that they like the combo hitch, and I also saw the modified 14-hole pintle plate with the side reinforcements. I returned the mount, but I don't want this to happen again!

Attachments

quickfarms

How thick was that steel mounting plate?

I have used a mount like that for many years without an issue, but the mount is a custom heavy duty mount and my gusset goes much higher.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the the lunettes bind more in my combo hitch than any other. It's messy but some grease will help with that binding and popping like that as will a nicely painted (not rusty) lunette.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My plate has support bracing going back on the reciever tube farther than yours. I also welding additional bracing just to beef it up.

harleyhouse

My obsene Pintle hitch!

My pintle combo hitch is mounted to a laser cut 1/2" thick backing plate
That I made out at work.
Four grade 8 bolts and nylocks have held it tight for the past 5 years.

I towed my 101A2 with the original lunette set up home from Ohio and did not have any problems.
It is straight out from the receiver as the truck sits high.
I found this Pintle / 2" ball combo used on the bay it is cast, locks tight and has held up great.
When I tow I put in a locking pin.

It is a little obsene and I do catch the ladies staring at it.
Way better than those stupid TRUCK NUTZ.

Attachments

koolex11

Mark, that's a nice hitch. I bet that thing doesn't bind the way I described. Looks very smooth. Very smooth indeed.

The reason I have the combo hitch is because I found it at a yard sale for $10. I figured if I could get it to work I would be happy saving the extra money and getting double use out of it.

NEIOWA

Which illustrates again that cheapest is seldom least expensive.

Hitch equipment is not that expensive. Buy a receiver insert with a ball/balls and one with a decent pintle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Which illustrates again that cheapest is seldom least expensive.

Hitch equipment is not that expensive. Buy a receiver insert with a ball/balls and one with a decent pintle.
Nah, he had 1500lbs in a 1300lbs trailer, on un-even ground, and you don't think the brakes activated when you were backing up? Guess again.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i was looking to upgrade the stock hitch on my truck, i went with a Reese classV 2.5" reciever rated for 18k towed and 2k tongue weight. and since i got the 2.5" reciever i had to get new hitches. the shank and backing plate is a 1 piece forging. the backing plate is 5/8" thick and the shank is pretty much a mini I beam. pintle hook is rated for 30K. The ball hitch is aluminum rated for 10k and can be flipped to use either a 2" ball or 2 5/16" ball.

wile the route i went wasnt the cheapest, i prefer to have overkill than the bare minimum.

Attachments

Donald Poppell

Well, now that this thread appeared, I guess it's time to confess.
I have a setup similar to the one in Post #1.

Went to back mine up with out pinning the surge brake and bent mine even worse than that.
A couple of days later went to haul a hefty load and when I went back to unhitch it, it was straight as a board.

Reinforcement time.

Bottom line is to remember to pin the surge brake when backing up.

I learned the hard way. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks