• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pioneer rack mounting spot

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The uprights and elbows go in the front headboard. The top bows go under the bed as GUYFANG stated, and KENDELRIO acknowledged. The top bows are secured using the straps. If you have six top bows in that storage location with the straps tightened, they are not going anywhere.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The uprights and elbows go in the front headboard. The top bows go under the bed as GUYFANG stated, and KENDELRIO acknowledged. The top bows are secured using the straps. If you have six top bows in that storage location with the straps tightened, they are not going anywhere.
Do I need straps on both sides?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I no longer own one of those trucks, but I believe there were straps on both sides. I do know that I have had trucks with straps on one side only so maybe that is the way they came? I don't fully remember, but I know I've also had trucks with straps on both sides. With that said, I never used them. I either had bows on the truck that stayed on with a cargo cover, had no bows on the truck (and no cargo cover), or took the bows off in a complete assembly and stored them that way.

I suspect they may bounce around on the unstrapped side.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, here is another tip.

Go to figure 537, Page (PDF Reader #) 472. The straps are item numbers 2 & 7. Now, look over to the far right. Then look up. You see QTY. Quantity. Then look down to Items 2-8, far right side. QTY is 2 each, for everything but the nuts. That tell you you need two each, of all parts needed to hold your bows in tight.

Lots of info in the TM's. It pays to read the first few pages of the -24P TM's. Explains it all. I used to teach TM usage in the Army. Sadly neglected class.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also mounted my bows underneath but used short short short Bungee cords to lock them in place in addition to the straps

Guyfang

Staff member
At the end of the day, what you want, is what you want. Every unit had something different then the next. There is of course a document that tells you NOT to "customize" military "things". But there is always an "exception to the rule", Rule. So what ever you do to "up grade" equipment, can NOT be permanente. It has to be reversible. The Motor Daddy always told us, "Within 24 hours". I cant really say if that's so. I never read the Regulation. What you have, is good. If you have later a better idea, you will change it. Main thing is that its practical. And makes you happy.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, should be a pair of straps on both sides attached to that 'z' bent threaded rod.

OK, just checked the drivers side, no straps. Hmmm I wonder if our very own @Valence would know where/how to get some. They are NSN 5340009302717

I have not found any place that sells or reproduces those metal ends that attach to the round rod for the bow storage. BUT, it just so happens I have had drawings made for some slightly simplier versions and I've had new brackets laser cut and flat black powder coated.

2021-08-04 15.50.53.jpg 2021-08-04 15.54.19.jpg

So yes, the bow storage straps are another thing I am in the process of making pre-made sets to sell! Sorry, it takes me a while.

But if folks want to wire-wheel/sandblast and paint their existing ends and mail them to me, I can easily sew new webbing with a new alligator buckle to it. Otherwise, it'll be cheaper to buy my complete new pieces rather than for someone to ship theirs to me and pay me to wire-wheel & rattle can paint them. Though maybe I'll also start a program to take $5 off a set of new buckles and straps if folks will mail me their old ones ;)

My M35A2 doesn't have these, so a friend loaned me the rotten ones off his XM813 to take measurements from. As repayment, I wire-wheeled and painted his original brackets and sewed new, longer straps as he specified because he really wanted to wrap his bows in place. This under-bed bow storage requires 4 straps, a short and a long one on either side of the bed connected to a 1/2" diameter rod with a 'z' bend in it.

2021-04-28 10.08.15.jpg 2021-06-04 16.33.42.jpg 2021-06-04 16.34.13.jpg 2021-06-04 16.34.23.jpg signal-2021-07-30-162902_001.jpeg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just checked the drivers side, no straps. Hmmm I wonder if our very own @Valence would know where/how to get some. They are NSN 5340009302717
According to TM9-2320-272-24P-2, each one of the straps has a different NSN (and Part Number):
  • What I call the "Buckle" strap (#2 in the figure) is NSN 5340-00-930-2716 (Part Number 10937881)
  • What I call the "Tail" strap (#7 in the figure) is the NSN you quoted of 5340-00-930-2717 (Part Number 10937882)

bow_storage_straps_06.jpg 1641050322442.png

Not to self promote in your thread, but since you asked, my replacements of the above Bow Storage straps are now available:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/bow-storage-straps-for-military-cargo-trucks.206943/

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks