• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer rack

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried searching this because i thought it was covered before. But did the CUCV's have pioneer tool racks? I'm looking to put one in my M1028. Where were thay located? Behind the seat?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way you could post a pic? I have one for a humvee that looks different. Mabye it's the same as the CUCV?

The little carrying set for the HMMWV fits in a special bracket under the rear of the truck. That is the only truck it is designed to fit on.

For the CUCV, I never saw the pioneer set installed on ANY model, either pickup or blazer. the one Chris has in his 1008 was probably put there by an enterprising driver or mechanic, or may have been SOP for that unit. I don't have any 2898-10s left to look up the stowage location. The BII/AAI list at the back will at least give a location where it is supposed to be. the -10HR just lists that it is supposed to be available for the M1009.

Reactions: emr

LanceRobson

I grabbed this photo a while back from an ebay auction. I think thats a pretty neat setup. Does anybody know where to find such a rack?

JC Whitney, LM&M Truck parts, the local parts store etc.

None of the CUCVs had a standard location for pioneer tools. Pioneer tools were required on some vehicles but could be authorized by the unit commander for any vehicle.

A rack will fit cross body under the lip in the front of the cargo bed. The "downside" is that if the truck is loaded with cargo the tools are buried. I dont know if you could put one behind the seat or if it would interfere with the seat back. I'd guess that if you mounted it low it would work.

A good place to put a pioneer tool rack on a M1009 is to make up a couple of steel straps with a bend to fit the curvature of the rear cap over the spare tire and spanning the window from top to bottom and put the rack there. It looks "cool" and you can still see through it for visibility while driving. To get a better idea what I mean, hold a rack up in the window over the spare.

I did see at least one unit that had the racks cross-wise on the brush guard. Awkward looking but handy.

Lance

FrankUSMC

On our M1028s (Marines) we had a pioneer rack mounted behind the drivers seat. It was the standard pioneer rack. We had two M1028s, years later I saw a M1028 from another Marine unit and it also had the rack behind the seat.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

KyCUCVs

My M1008 was a former Marine vehicle and had the standard pioneer tool rack installed behind the seat. Having pioneer tools on hand could make the difference between being stuck way out no where in a vehicle without a radio and being able to perfrom self recovery. The Marines figured this out. Army never did.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen the standard pioneer rack mounted to the front grill guard. Looks nice.

niferous

The few times I've seen a HMMWV stuck the pioneer rack was pretty much inaccessible. I actually have a brand new pioneer rack. I've actually had it for years. One day in our motor pool some private was throwing three of them away brand new in the boxes. I took one and two other buddies with trucks took one.