• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Planes, Buses, and In-n-Out: The 1000 Mile Recovery

It all started... a long time ago.

But about three weeks ago I talked to 100dollarman. We chatted about an M109 that he had. He was completely up front about its wrecked transfer case, but was willing to put the box on a different truck and install a hardtop. We had a deal.

The next step was a flight from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles, California. Next came a Greyhound bus ride* to Victorville, CA. Then Hundy himself picked me up at the bus station and showed me what was to become my pride and joy.

IMAG0175.jpg

* Everyone needs to take at least one Greyhound bus ride in their lives. I've never met more wild and varied characters in my life.

Taking off from Lucerne Valley I spent the evening in Barstow where I had a memorable dinner at Los Domingos. After a long night with Max, the owner, and his incredible selection of tequila I laid down for a long night of sleep. The sun came up, I started the long drive from Southern Cali to Portland. Then... DISASTER!

IMAG0177.jpg

With a bang the Deuce became twice as loud and my freeway speed dropped from 50 to 25. And I smelled diesel. One gas station parking lot later, some help from a friendly former deuce OP that was stopping for gas and a cast of dozens -- a spare fuel injector line was overnighted to the Ramada I had made it into. Thank you Aaron, Ed, Rob, and especially Josh.

The next morning I received the fuel injector line Josh had sent, installed it, and drove the remaining 700 beautiful miles into Oregon. The truck is strong puller, no slouch on the mountainous expanses of Northern California and Southern Oregon.

IMAG0179.jpg

A fantastic recovery trip, a great intro to MVs, and the awesome family that is Steel Soldiers.

Next up, installing the Westfolk adapters that are in the mail, fixing the parking brake and half the gauges, starting the camper conversion, installing a stealth muffler, and about 1000 other things.

The first task will be to create a build thread.

PS - There would have been more pictures but my phone got wet on the trip (leaky windshield) so only the couple pics that I sent people survived.

Last edited:

jollyroger

What an awesome adventure.

I have always had good luck with Hundy. He and his son have bent over backards for me and really helped me out. Besides that they are great people in their own right without all the goodness they have done for my MV habit.

Last time we recovered something from Barstow we ate at the Firehouse. Cool place. But In n Out is still one of my favorites. We have been trying to get them out here in CO for years.

And good luck with the truck. Can't wait to see it become a camper.:grd:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark is truly a good person. The kind you meet only a hand full of times in life.

Was your butt sore after the trip :twisted:

Looking forward to seeing what you do to the beast, and I gotta say, spin ons are the single best addition to the truck. I should have done it years ago!

zout

Great tale of your new 109.

Greyhound from H** is better like it to travel on them - if you wanna get no where fast - that is the way to go. If you want to stop at every nook & cranny on the planet - that is the way to go.

Looks like a great truck and look forward to see what you will do with it, welcome to the 109 gang.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter

It all started... a long time ago.
In a galaxy far, far away????

Ah, yes, In-n-Out Burger:drool::drool::drool:?? Did you and Hundy dine at the Classic of all Cult Classics or was this a solo affair?

Speaking of Greyhound. I rode all the way from Ft. Knox, KY to Los Angeles in Dec. '86 in one of those rattle-traps. Can you say "LOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG ride." Although. I saw some beautiful scenery driving across this great country.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all started... a long time ago....

The next step was a flight from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles, California. Next came a Greyhound bus ride* to Victorville, CA....

A fantastic recovery trip, a great intro to MVs, and the awesome family that is Steel Soldiers...
Great story, happy ending... but Greyhound bus ride to Victorville--- ouch! Next trip I would reccomend Ontario Airport, much closer, much nicer and heck--- you could get the Super Shuttle one-way for about $50... and darn sure--- SS folks are about the best there is!

Good luck on your project, and keep it posted too!

Hundy was definitely fantastic and very patient in walking through a wonderful truck with a newcomer to MVs. Not to mention, he took me by NAPA, In-N-Out, and a few different joints to pickup what I needed for the roadtrip home.

Last time we recovered something from Barstow we ate at the Firehouse. Cool place. But In n Out is still one of my favorites. We have been trying to get them out here in CO for years.
I'll have to check out the Firehouse the next time I pass through Barstow. And hey, if I can get In-N-Out to Oregon, I'll surely send 'em out your way.

Was your butt sore after the trip
Dying. Almost 400 miles in one shot. The worst part is that I had the springer seats so when they'd bottom out my lower half would take the beating of a lifetime.

Greyhound from H** is better like it to travel on them - if you wanna get no where fast - that is the way to go. If you want to stop at every nook & cranny on the planet - that is the way to go.
Speaking of Greyhound. I rode all the way from Ft. Knox, KY to Los Angeles in Dec. '86 in one of those rattle-traps. Can you say "LOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG ride." Although. I saw some beautiful scenery driving across this great country.
I loved traveling via Greyhound. It was long, but some beautiful sights to see, some of the wildest characters I've met, and so much more comfortable than flying.

Great story, happy ending... but Greyhound bus ride to Victorville--- ouch! Next trip I would reccomend Ontario Airport, much closer, much nicer and heck--- you could get the Super Shuttle one-way for about $50... and darn sure--- SS folks are about the best there is!
I checked it out beforehand and it added around 250 bucks to the flight total. The bus ticket was only 50 bucks. When all was said and done I was happy to have saved that money for another tank of fuel.

Huzzah!

100dollarman

Thx for the props, guys. I appreciate it. We always try to take special care of our SS brothers (and sisters!).

Chris - Thank you for the business-- I truly appreciate it. Glad you made it home ok, even with a minor (relatively) glitch.
Chris is the kind of customer we want---- calls up, discusses what he wants, makes a deal, travels to shop, hands over the $, and drives home, posts up what a great experience he had. !!!! LOL Perfect customer!!![thumbzup]

Chris- it was a pleasure-- Thank you!!!

Cant wait to see progress on your project-:grd:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like reading stories like this! Congrats Sir. Now my story on the gray dog. About 20 years ago I took a ride from Delray Beach FL to Tampa via the dog. It's normally almost a 4 hour ride so I figured that the dog could do it in 6 hours since I had a non-stop ticket. We left at about 9AM and it was not even 10 when I realized that I didn't understand non-stop in bus terms. I quickly learned that non-stop means you don't have to change busses at any time on the route. That damm bus stopped at ever fat spot in the road to purge and absorb stinky bodies. I hope AMtrak isn't that way, it's on my bucket list.

davidkroberts

I like stories like this...... Good long recovery, strange people on a Greyhound, roadside breakdown with SS assistance [thumbzup], and a successful conclusion.

All you needed was a UFO sighting and this story would enter the "epic" catagory of SS recoveries

usafe7ret

I like reading stories like this! Congrats Sir. Now my story on the gray dog. About 20 years ago I took a ride from Delray Beach FL to Tampa via the dog. It's normally almost a 4 hour ride so I figured that the dog could do it in 6 hours since I had a non-stop ticket. We left at about 9AM and it was not even 10 when I realized that I didn't understand non-stop in bus terms. I quickly learned that non-stop means you don't have to change busses at any time on the route. That damm bus stopped at ever fat spot in the road to purge and absorb stinky bodies. I hope AMtrak isn't that way, it's on my bucket list.
If you're going to ride on Amtrak, then don't have a schedule to keep at your destination, as you will surely be late! They give way to every freight train that they meet, so be prepared. Took my wife over 10 hours to get to KC, Mo. from St. Louis, MO. plus lost her bags. Found them the next day, but still a big PITA.

steelandcanvas

Great story about your recovery Chris! Sounds as though you improvised, adapted, and overcame. Congratulations on your new green project.
Isn't In-N-Out the bomb? There isn't a cheeseburger stand on the planet that holds a candle to them! Well, maybe Tommy's Original, but that's another food love affair. Two of the few good things about Cali.