• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Planning 1200 Mile Recovery MN to NC

telemanipulators

I recently purchased my first MV for $3900, a 1984 AM General M925. I have decided to drive it back since it would cost $2400 plus to ship it. I have until August 15th to pick it up. A truck dealership purchased it from an auction in Wisconsin back in November and drove it 300 miles back to MN without any issues so at least I know its in running condition. They also added an engine block heater and replaced the batteries. They say it runs great.

Tony

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at Technoweenies and alaskaboys threads, they both drove M934s cross country recently.

telemanipulators

Yes I do plan to come down 77 Through WV, thanks for the offer. After reading about Technoweenies experience, I am probably going to change the Air Dryer and a few other items before starting the trip. If you guys have some ideas let me know.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
get a glad hand to Air tool setup, and make sure it works prior. Glad Hands don't appear to be a regularly stocked item (as alaskaboy ran into per our texts). Get a good jack, air tool kit, and check the batteries.

Plane Fast

You can not have enough tools. You will need a small chain hoist to get the spare down. One heck of a breaker bar, or large impact gun. You need cribbing blocks.(4x4's cut 3' to 4' work good) A multi meter, large sockets and wrenches, extensions, zip ties, duck tape , and more duck tape, etc.. This is only about 10% of what you may need.
You could go the whole trip and not use one tool or you may need to buy more.

It can be a fun adventure, and Lord knows I like a good adventure. $2500 may seem like a lot, but when the stuff hits the fan. It will get expensive fast! (i.e. NHC 250 cylinder sleeves)
I will say we have no idea how many things can go wrong on these trucks until you own one!

If you do drive, and this is your first truck. Be very careful of your speed and stopping distances. One, you are very high up, so speed is hard to judge. After you have been on the road a while, it tends to make you drive faster. Then when you take an off ramp, you may be going in too hot! Slow early.
Don't forget a way to charge your phone and lap top.(down load the TM's on the lap top) Oh and bring a pillow for the seat. (They suck)

Good luck, and have fun!

lindsey97

Ether
Extra set of belts
fuel filter
20 ton bottle jack
cribbing wood to stack and give support to bottle jack
streamlight or surefire flashlight that takes cr123 batteries
box of cr123 batteries
full set of SAE wrenches and sockets
zip ties and duck tap
role of 25' 14 gauge wire
electrical splice kit and tools
spare fuses
24 volt bulbs for taillights and spare 24v headlight
couple gallons of shell rotella engine oil
couple gallons of antifreeze
sticks of appropriate size radiator hose
hacksaw
very big sharp pocket knife
50' airhose with gladhand on one end and air chuck with coupler on other end
1/2" impact and impact sockets
BFH
couple of filled diesel jerry cans
hand tools of all kinds
baling wire
hand cleaner and rags
1/2" ball valve and spare glad hands
1/2" pipe threaded cap
full set of cage bolts for your brake chambers
couple pair of vise grips to pinch off ruptured lines.
wooden dowel rod to slip into fuel tank to check fuel level

MAKE SURE THE TRUCK HAS NEW BATTERIES OR AT LEAST GOOD ONES.

telemanipulators

Thanks for the tool ideas guys. I may actually drive to MN with my 24' trailer full of tools/spare parts with a friend so he can follow me back. We should be able to handle whatever comes up this way. I do look forward to the drive though, it should be an adventure.

telemanipulators

The truck is in Roseville MN. It really seems like a nice truck, it looks great in the pics and they say it ran great the 300 miles they drove it from auction pickup location. I will post some pics once I get access to a computer, I seem to be unable to add to the photo album with my Ipad.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will also be able to buy some parts form John over at Midwest Military. They're in Prior Lake.

telemanipulators

I got my insurance today. After reading some experiences on here I was a little worried. However, it was very simple. I already had a policy for my cars, so I just added the M925 to it. The only difference is the 925 is liability only. This added $28 every 6 months to my policy. I have allstate insurance.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you added this m925 to your car insurance policy, I recommend you make sure the insurance company has a picture of it so there's no doubt they know what it is.

KaiserM109

You can not have enough tools. ...
I drove my M923 from Ft. Benning, GA in Nov and had tire problems in TX where my daughter lives. We left it there, planning to go back down (from Denver, CO) at Christmas, but wound up leaving it there for 13 months.

We drove it up Christmas of 2013 and hit -20 degree weather. I tell you this because a Cummins NHC 250 is hard to start in the cold. We knew ahead of time I would need a charger, so I bought a 40 Amp Stanley charger. BUT in North Dallas we were too far from anything to plug in one morning, so I bought a small generator to run the charger. Now I can solve my dead battery problems off-the-grid. Besides all the other things previously mentioned, I suggest you consider the same. Unless you have other MVs around, nobody is gonna be able to jump you.

Have a chase car. We threw a water pump belt in Jackson, MS and had to get off the Interstate to fetch a replacement. I'm not sure if anyone suggested it or not, but a medium or large size come-along in invaluable. That blinkin' fan assembly was a bi$#^ to lift!

Good luck, and enjoy!!

Last edited:

Goobs

I drove mine back from Delaware to Texas in January. 1700 miles and had no issues at all. The guy I purchased it from had the oil and filters changed and topped off all the fluids and new batteries......and I though that was very nice of him to do that. I flew myself and my brother up there so I couldn't take any tool with me. I stopped at a Walmart once there and got a bottle jack, jack stands, BIG wrenches and some towels. Didn't have to use any of them so I took them back once I got home.

Don't know if that was much help but I will tell you, bring a friend with you. My brother and I drove straight through to Nashville, stayed with a friend and then drove straight to Texas. It was one of the best times I have had with my brother.

I got my insurance today. After reading some experiences on here I was a little worried. However, it was very simple. I already had a policy for my cars, so I just added the M925 to it. The only difference is the 925 is liability only. This added $28 every 6 months to my policy. I have allstate insurance.
Funny, that's exactly how much State Farm added to my exisitng policy for my M923A2 with liability only.

Also, I drove mine back about 600 miles from From Ft. Stewart,GA to here in Charleston,WV and at 4AM in the morning my Air Dryer proceeded to stop working at the rest area there at the bottom of Fancy Gap Mountain before you come out of NC into VA on I77.
It was only 15 degrees and not a fun night. I also had to put air in 2 of the tires with some puny gas station compressor for an hour in SC because the CTIS wasn't working right either.
Definitely be prepared for issues.

RedBlok

Battery Tester if not already listed. I am working a battery issue currently.

I have USAA and they sub'd it out to GEICO. USAA also suggested taking out an additional policy to protect me from any civil suits. Apparently they suggest this to MV owners.

I split my shipping with another auction winner and we have two M923a2's on the same truck. I only paid about $1200.

Good Luck,

Andrmorr

I'm in Burlington NC I85/exit 245 if you need any help in that area. Sure hope not because you'll almost be home at that point! Break a leg!
Whistle-whistle-whistle...here boy...here Murp-y...leave the guy alone!

Take a pair of extra batteries with you...you can jump start yourself or switchout with the truck if they start failing.

Last edited:

RedBlok

I'm in Burlington NC I85/exit 245 if you need any help in that area. Sure hope not because you'll almost be home at that point! Break a leg!
Whistle-whistle-whistle...here boy...here Murp-y...leave the guy alone!

Take a pair of extra batteries with you...you can jump start yourself or switchout with the truck if they start failing.
Interstate has Series 31P (Post Tops) refurbished units for sale. $59.95 plus $25 core charge. I just bought two of them for my truck. They were refurbed in March 2015, then tested them for me before I took them . They both were showing 1050 CCAs.