• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning for overlanding tools/parts

MattNC

I searched around and didn't see a similar thread, so I am starting one.

After almost five years of ownership I realize I need to get the M998 out exploring a bit more. I have put a ton of miles on it, but hardly any that really put it to its intended use. Here in NC my two main areas I want to tackle this next year is some moderate but remote offroad trails in the mountains, and heading out to Cape Lookout by ferry and camping up the coast. In both cases I'll likely be pulling a M1102 trailer for gear/firewood/parts/etc. None of my intended locations are the rubicon trail, but they are places were breaking down will be a good distance from a service station, so I'd like to be a good boy scout and be prepared.

Here's my tools and spare parts lists for now. If you see something that stands out as missing let me know. At the end I'll clean it up into one last post as maybe something helpful to others.

Tools:
- small air compressor
- knife
- mechanic light
- hammer
- assortment of adjustable wrenches, vise-grip, and needle nose pliers
- set of flat/open combination wrenches (SAE)
- screwdrivers
- socket set, allen socket set, breaker bar
- specialty socket for geared hub
- Noco Genius 12/24V automotive smart charger that can run off the generator on the trailer
- jumper cables
- medium/large C-clamps
- baling wire and assorted bungee cords
- hacksaw blade and a file
- fire extinquisher and first-aid kit always onboard anyway
- may be overkill, but depending on how far I am going I may toss in the small wire-feed welder and mask I can run off the generator

Recovery:
- hi lift jack
- bottle jack
- 2 high strength tow straps
- folding shovel
- I don't have a winch but the hi lift can work as a winch, just very slowly (I might need to explore a winch someday)

Consumables:
- bag of nitrile gloves
- mechanix gloves
- duct tape
- zip ties
- 1 tube permatex RTV
- 1 tube permatex right stuff 5 min gasket
- jb weld
- 2 quarts of oil
- 2 quarts transmission fluid
- 1 quart brake fluid
- 1 quart gear oil
- 1 quart powersteering fluid
- 1 gallon of premixed coolant
- small funnel
- at least one jerry can of diesel

Spares/repairs:
- tire puncture repair kit
- one spare half shaft
- basic electrical supplies (stripper, tape, connectors)
- assortment of hose clamps
- radiator hose repair tape and splices
- mounted tire and wheel (I no longer have runflats on the M998, M1102 does)
-

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have done the front diff centering mod and you want to carry spare half shafts you will need three of them, OR you can just take a hub end of a half shaft and shorter bolts for the inside flange and limp out in 2WD.
Breaking a half shaft is rather rare, most failures are installation errors, (read do thorough maintenance!) or boot failure which should not strand you at low speeds, I have driven almost 50 miles on a half shaft after the CV joint got dry and started smoking at highway speeds, I just kept it under 25MPH and prayed, it was not happy and was making ALLOT of noise by the time I got home but did not fail completely.

Also add metric to all the SAE tools.

Attachments

Last edited:

AAVP7

I also always carry:

- Spare Glowplugs

and some Humvee-specific tools that might be needed:
- 3/8" socket square (needed to open the plugs on the hubs to access the halfshaft bolt; without this no removal of broken halfshafts)
- 3/8" socket (deep one) for glowplugs
- Glowplug removal tool
- Special 5-star torx for the IP
- A set of S-shaped closed wrenches (some bolts like on the RH exhaust are better accessible with those)
- The issue Humvee jack (this is also needed to change a tire on the M1102; the neccessary adapter should be on the trailer !

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also always carry:

- Spare Glowplugs

and some Humvee-specific tools that might be needed:
- 3/8" socket square (needed to open the plugs on the hubs to access the halfshaft bolt; without this no removal of broken halfshafts)
- 3/8" socket (deep one) for glowplugs
- Glowplug removal tool
- Special 5-star torx for the IP
- A set of S-shaped closed wrenches (some bolts like on the RH exhaust are better accessible with those)
- The issue Humvee jack (this is also needed to change a tire on the M1102; the neccessary adapter should be on the trailer !
I just use a 3/8 extension, guess I am doing it wrong o_O

AAVP7

Yes, if you have one, that´s fine, of course. Overhere, most ratchet-and-socket-boxes only have 1/2" and 1/4" components, so nothing with a 3/8" square on them. With English not being my native language, sometimes I don´t know all the correct terms for tools and parts, so please bear with me, if I didn´t explain precisely.

MattNC

Thanks everyone, this list is developing nicely. I'm going to add a 50' ball of paracord and an inexpensive hand transfer pump as well. I forgot I had those in the box under the seat but they are handy. The transfer pump is helpful for filling diffs or transfer cases, or pumping out fluids that will be reused after a repair. I need to add a clean bucket with a lid too. Helpful if coolant needs to be collected during a repair and reused or saved for disposal later. The bucket can hold the wipes, spare fluids, etc listed above.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The absolutely essential thing to have a safe and uninterrupted off road experience is a properly serviced and maintained vehicle.
Not drinking will also help :ROFLMAO:
Hey, hold my beer!!!!!o_O

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SATELLITE TELEPHONE! Or iPhone 14/15 for emergency satellite call for help.

Filter straw to drink unpurified water.

A set of clean dry clothes and jacket in a 5 gallon ziplock bag.

10 gallons of water.

Terlet paper in a ziplock.

Air horn and bright light source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks