• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plastic Fuel line help

ryan77

Thats the max temp of the fluid! Its 180 degree at 100 psi, We run 200 degree water through it at work! All im saying i believe this is equal or better then the clear stuff! My buddy has it on his for years and hes in Arizona!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever... do what you like, just don't recommend it on the site.

And yes, I know a lot about plastics and polymers.2cents

ryan77

I too know alot about plastic piping etc! Im going to runs some test on the clear versus pex! Im also going to talk to the nibco rep and engineers!

SSG ALBANESE

Quick Video only did one take.

Don't use water line plastic unless you want to start a fire.

The military used this same tubing. I had some on my truck when it came out of the service.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPhD-QAQTg[/media]

Where I got mine.

McMaster-Carr

This helps a lot. As far as the proper tubing. Last year I had to field repair each fuel line so I will ensure to have this on before my trip on the 19th. Thanks dude.

SSG ALBANESE

lol ok guys were all good. I am going with the airbrake hose/tube.

Also from my experince last deer season in the mountains I am still running the water line I used to replace the pre existing line, I think it was the same stuff but just on their too long.

The reason it went on me was because it was 120 degrees, the line was about 5 years old + engine temp. The field repair has held up now for 1,500 miles and still looks good and feels strong. I am replacing it because I do want the correct stuff. It is good in a pinch if your on the road and have no spare hose. It will get u home.... carry a fuel kit under your seat though lol.

lawdog1623

I hate to revive an old thread but ive had to search for this a handful of times and it takes forever because theres few threads specifically about fuel lines. Doghead is there a way that we can have this information regarding the fuel lines added to the replacement parts stickies? thanks sir and happy holidays

JasonS

I was looking through McMasters website and according to the chemical compatibility chart on their site they DO NOT recommend DOT brake line and the comment is questionable resistance do not use. For diesel they say high strength clear nylon tubing #8359k or #8365k

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9355tac/=lu9f59
The manager at the NAPA where I bought my DOT air brake line found a reference in the parts book that their DOT line was compatable wtih diesel. YMMV.

For you guys that know a lot about plastics, what about high temp PTFE? I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but there has been some advancements in plastics over the last 40 or so years. The page from McMaster shows excellent chemical compatibility with just about everything other than bleach. It also exceeds all of the original part specs standards except for the nominal ID. OEM nominal ID 0.184", PTFE ID 1/8". Notionally that would be a difference of 0.059", but as far as I can tell the PTFE does not use a tube support for the ferrule thus removing that point of constriction over stock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would just like to choose the best, most bullet proof option. I liked the brake line option until I did some more digging and it seems different manufactures have conflicting opinions on how their products react with diesel as well as whatever else we put in the fuel tank.

Anyways LINK http://www.mcmaster.com/#5033K31

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
air brake line appears to be something like nylon on inside, reinforced with fibre strands, black outside coating is abrasion resistant and uv proof. seems to last forever. od is all the normal sizes for tubing, handles at least operating pressure of 120, so fuel pressure of 70 is ok. i always use the nylon ferrules with the brass inner support sleeve. do not over tighten. restriction is not a problem as the fuel flow is so slow.
just my 2¢

Last edited:

mbehne

Lol!!! Wonder what rocket scientist put this one together. No inner support, misaligned ferrule and crunched the hose...how in Gods name has it not been leaking all this time.

Good thread and I thought I should add pics of How NOY to do it. Lol

welldigger

Lol!!! Wonder what rocket scientist put this one together. No inner support, misaligned ferrule and crunched the hose...how in Gods name has it not been leaking all this time.

Good thread and I thought I should add pics of How NOY to do it. Lol
Thats exactly how mine were before I redid them

brianp454

I used the ETFE from McMaster:
1/4: 5583K46 with sleeve 50915K613 and ferrule 50915K243
3/8: 5583K48 with sleeve 50915K615 and ferrule 50915K245

It has great chemical resistance and easily rated for the temps and pressures in these lines. You can also see the fuel or air bubbles inside it.